Upgrading to Ryzen 7 5700X3D

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,

just run the thing and see for yourself

x3d are pretty hot running chips but thats mainly due to the insulating cache so they dont really put out much heat since alot of it is getting trapped inside the cpu itself

id only worry about the cooler if you are gonna attempt to oc the thing via bclk (marked fch base clock in bios for msi boards afaik), if you do wanna try then id check out buildzoids vid on 5700x3d bclk oc as he seems to be pushing ~120bclk, but a cooler swap still wouldnt be neccesary till you have to raise vcore and it starts to thermal throttle

also you can undervolt the thing if its running abit too hot

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and upgrade from my Ryzen 5 5600X to the Ryzen 7 5700X3D to take advantage of the beefed up cache mainly for WoW.  I have updated my BIOS to the latest version which was the only potential issue PCPartPicker was able to find.  My current specs are as follows:

Motherboard: MSI PRO PRO B550-VC AM4 AMD B550

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU: RTX 2060 Super

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (CL 16)

My last real question is whether or not my old Cooler Master 212X Turbo cpu cooler would still be up to the task?  I saw a few people recommend the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE but I've had a hard time finding a real comparison in performance.  Also if anyone has any general feedback as far as the benefits go of using an AMD 3D chip for the big cache with MMOs or anything in general about my set up I'm all ears.  From what I've read the biggest improvement is bringing up your FPS bottom end when a lot is happening on screen.  Thanks

Budget (including currency): $300 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: World of Warcraft

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 2 display set up, 3440x1440 UW main monitor, 27 inch 2K secondary.

just run the thing and see for yourself

x3d are pretty hot running chips but thats mainly due to the insulating cache so they dont really put out much heat since alot of it is getting trapped inside the cpu itself

id only worry about the cooler if you are gonna attempt to oc the thing via bclk (marked fch base clock in bios for msi boards afaik), if you do wanna try then id check out buildzoids vid on 5700x3d bclk oc as he seems to be pushing ~120bclk, but a cooler swap still wouldnt be neccesary till you have to raise vcore and it starts to thermal throttle

also you can undervolt the thing if its running abit too hot

7 minutes ago, TheShrubber said:

My last real question is whether or not my old Cooler Master 212X Turbo cpu cooler would still be up to the task?

I'd give it a go.

15 minutes ago, TheShrubber said:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and upgrade from my Ryzen 5 5600X to the Ryzen 7 5700X3D to take advantage of the beefed up cache mainly for WoW.  I have updated my BIOS to the latest version which was the only potential issue PCPartPicker was able to find.  My current specs are as follows:

Motherboard: MSI PRO PRO B550-VC AM4 AMD B550

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU: RTX 2060 Super

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (CL 16)

My last real question is whether or not my old Cooler Master 212X Turbo cpu cooler would still be up to the task?  I saw a few people recommend the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE but I've had a hard time finding a real comparison in performance.  Also if anyone has any general feedback as far as the benefits go of using an AMD 3D chip for the big cache with MMOs or anything in general about my set up I'm all ears.  From what I've read the biggest improvement is bringing up your FPS bottom end when a lot is happening on screen.  Thanks

Budget (including currency): $300 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: World of Warcraft

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 2 display set up, 3440x1440 UW main monitor, 27 inch 2K secondary.

One thing id check is if this will actually be of benefit, if your GPU bound, upgrading the CPU might not have too much of an effect

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Should be fine.... you're uncomfortable with the heat, you could always look at the Dark Rock PX4 (<$20).... but try your existing one first!

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up springing for the new cooler to be on the safe side.  Saw this evening that my current cooler was running at 100% and cpu was in the low 70's so I also ordered a fan to now have exhaust out the back lol.