Move on SMB file delete

Good evening.

I have a home server running Windows server 2022.

In an old linus video in the server room he showed this feature:
- when a file is removed from a share it is moved to another one, just like a custom recycle bin.

Anyone of you guys know the software / configuration that he used or anything similar?

It's known both as Previous Versions, Volume Shadow Services (underlying technology name and Shadow Copies. You enable it on the server and setup a schedule then you get point in time snapshots of what the filesystem looked like at that time, any deletes or file modifications consume space until the snap ages out. 

In Windows Server (Windows Desktop is different but supports this too) right click on your drive that contains the SMB share and select Configure Shadow Copies

image.png.bcf7bb11932fb29dbc3aaac9a11ef14e.png

You'll see the configuration dialogue open up

image.png.e68367ebbc82d872f6e78fe342b0ba8c.png

Select the drive/disk you want to enable Show Copies/Previous Versions on and click Enable. You can also click on Settings and change where this data is kept, all the tracked changes, as well as setup the schedules of when to take the snapshots.

image.png.dc8d59990185760ee1ca297499ee3e62.png

17 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's known both as Previous Versions, Volume Shadow Services (underlying technology name and Shadow Copies. You enable it on the server and setup a schedule then you get point in time snapshots of what the filesystem looked like at that time, any deletes or file modifications consume space until the snap ages out. 

In Windows Server (Windows Desktop is different but supports this too) right click on your drive that contains the SMB share and select Configure Shadow Copies

image.png.bcf7bb11932fb29dbc3aaac9a11ef14e.png

You'll see the configuration dialogue open up

image.png.e68367ebbc82d872f6e78fe342b0ba8c.png

Select the drive/disk you want to enable Show Copies/Previous Versions on and click Enable. You can also click on Settings and change where this data is kept, all the tracked changes, as well as setup the schedules of when to take the snapshots.

image.png.dc8d59990185760ee1ca297499ee3e62.png

This should work to do the task. I think in the video they said they had a script to do it or something but this is one of those things there are many ways to accomplish a task. 

This is probably the most end user friendly way to do it though. 

6 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

This should work to do the task. I think in the video they said they had a script to do it or something but this is one of those things there are many ways to accomplish a task. 

This is probably the most end user friendly way to do it though. 

I think they have shown both, the software utility was a very long time ago and I'm not sure they use it anymore since they stopped using Windows on their editing file server. Pretty sure they just use native ZFS mirroring now. ZFS/TrueNAS supports setting up Previous Versions just different on how to actually do it.

It is a nice feature though, most NAS systems support it and on the client side is exactly the same end usage.