LTT Screwdriver Maintenance/Repairability

Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,
1 hour ago, SteveBinLaden said:

especially the designers of the screwdriver

MegaPro is the OEM of the screw driver. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VJY1EC

However neither Megapro nor the LTT use any kind of fluid lubrication, as you can see in this torture test / destruction disassembly

So adding fluid to the screw driver is unnecessary for operation and probably not recommended

There was a recent reddit thread that discussed lubricating the LTT screwdriver ratcheting mechanism. I don't own one so I can't say for sure but it is my understanding with the tolerances of the screwdriver and what I've seen in videos, the ratchet is a sealed design. My questions (for anyone that knows) are mainly:

• Was repairability/maintenance a thought in the design of the screwdriver? I know it would definitely come with some downsides, mainly in cost and tolerances, and the only way I could think of adding any form of maintenance is essentially a valve for a syringe to inject grease into the rachet (like a soccer ball)
  • Is there currently a method of refreshing/adding grease in the ratcheting mechanism? (essentially negating the above idea)

I know Linus and LTT in general are supportive of repair, but I also don't know of any ratcheting screwdrivers that allow you to repack grease into the rachet, so I would be generally interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this, especially the designers of the screwdriver, as they probably have the best insight into balancing different criteria with the constraints of the form factor, price and manufacturing.

1 hour ago, SteveBinLaden said:

especially the designers of the screwdriver

MegaPro is the OEM of the screw driver. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VJY1EC

However neither Megapro nor the LTT use any kind of fluid lubrication, as you can see in this torture test / destruction disassembly

So adding fluid to the screw driver is unnecessary for operation and probably not recommended

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I mean, mine has gotten progressively louder over time, (67db measured at 6in, vs 61 when new) but hasn't lost functionality. The backforce is higher than new, (have to actually push on a screw instead of just twisting) but still quite good. The bit selector took quite a bit of use to get lubricated, but works very nicely.