Are power supply calculators any good

Bart1999

I am building a new PC with the specs below and based on a range of supply calculator website it's recommending between 400 and 500 watts. How accurate those websites are?

• - Ryzen 7 7800XD
  • - RTX 2070 (Will upgrade)
  • - 32GB DRR5
  • - 2 SSD (1.5T)

2 minutes ago, Bart1999 said:

How accurate those websites are?

400 to 500 is about correct. i trust pcpartpicker and it said 466w so I'd say it's around that

which psu calculator exactly?

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

5 minutes ago, Bart1999 said:

I am building a new PC with the specs below and based on a range of supply calculator website it's recommending between 400 and 500 watts. How accurate those websites are?

• - Ryzen 7 7800XD
  • - RTX 2070 (Will upgrade)
  • - 32GB DRR5
  • - 2 SSD (1.5T)

I usually check each individual part so the 7800X3D will consume around 120-130w at full power while the RTX 2070 draws 175w at 100% load.

Say another 120-150w for the rest of your system you are at 420-455w at 100% full system load.

Full system loads does rarely if ever happen during normal gaming.

The PSU calculator seems quite correct 🙂

A decent 650 or 750w will do the trick, you want a bit higher wattage PSU so you hit the efficiency curve of the PSU itself.

I mean a quality 500W unit will be sufficient for this and in theory a quality 400W would be as well but good luck finding a quality 400W for a reasonable price.

Generally it's best to get something like quality 750W for future upgrades. Yes, it costs more but it does not cost twice as much as a quality 500W so unless you're on a very tight budget I would recommend going with more.

2 minutes ago, Bart1999 said:

How accurate those websites are?

Not very. These sites use very naive calculations, mostly just adding the rated TDP of all the parts and calling it a day, not taking into account things like current spikes, inaccurate TDPs, etc. 

Generally, the way to go about this is to look at what the GPU recommends and find a highly rated unit with that power rating or higher. You can take into account the CPU depending on how power hungry it is (most GPUs assume a ~150W CPU, so if you have a 80W chip like the 7800X3D you can lower the recommendation by about 50W). The 2070 recommends a 550W unit, so I'd try to get that or higher though you should be OK with a well rated 500W, but if you're planning on upgrading, you really should get a 750W+ (preferably 850W) due to modern GPUs being very high power draw.