Vhs to digital converter

My wife has a bunch of rare vhs and cassettes she wants digitising as they getting old. What hardware is best? 

From my searches they all seem variations on a theme and are basicly the same but software compatability seems a problem. I don't want to buy something and then regret it because a different device has better video recording.

What would people recommend?

I don't have any hardware, because what I recommend would be paying somebody to do the digitizing - when my folks wanted some stuff digitized, the amount of money on hardware (buying it, and then getting rid of it when I was done) and time I'd have to spend on it just wasn't worth it.

you literally only need a composite capture device which is very common. put the tapes in a vcr and capture them to a pc , job done.

If you want the easiest push button method get a DVD/VHS combo set top box. (will probably have to be used at this point)

I would only use a PC if you really want to get down into the weeds with upscaling or if you need to do editing.

1 hour ago, kurzonmorris said:

My wife has a bunch of rare vhs and cassettes she wants digitising as they getting old. What hardware is best? 

From my searches they all seem variations on a theme and are basicly the same but software compatability seems a problem. I don't want to buy something and then regret it because a different device has better video recording.

What would people recommend?

Honestly, as others have said if you don't have a 4-head VCR with S-Video output then you'll likely spend less money using a Service to digitize the content.

Old VHS tapes can be tricky as depending on what they were recorded on there can be tracking issues (picture losing Sync and rolling or jittering up and down a bit). The video information is stored on tape as a Luminance signal and a Color (Chroma) signals. The best quality transfer will be using a S-Video rather than Composite (Yellow RCA Connector).

Video Equipment is loosely divided into Consumer, Industrial and Broadcast equipment in increasing order of Quality and exponential increases in price. Good transfer houses typically use Industrial VHS VCR with Time Base Correctors.

If you have a decent VCR and want to do the transfers yourself I'd recommend looking for a Capture Device that has a S-Video input and includes software that can save in MPG or MKV formats to save time not having to transcode from intermediate formats such as DVI. These shouldn't be that expensive these days. I can't make any specific recommendations as I transferred all my VHS footage years ago using a JVC D-VHS machine and a Firewire DVI Capture box.

Hint. Before transferring any Cassette you might want to Fast-Forward then Rewind the Cassette first to un-pack the tape.

See This Link

Also many Public Library have Digitization Stations that have VHS to DVD Decks.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

This. Finding a capture card that still works well on modern OSes, doesn't capture garbage quality, doesn't dropout on flaky signals, comes with decent software, figuring out the encoding settings can be a mojor pain in practice.

When I did it I used a VHS/DVD recorder combo, shove in a DVD-R, start copy, throw the disc on the PC, copy, erase, start over. Then use a simple tool that can split/join without reencoding to merge/split individual recordings.

As mentioned some tapes had problems playing on the built-in deck, I used another connected to the DVD recorder for those. But I had all the stuff.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 3 weeks later...

Best analog capture card for the money is a used Datapath E1S. Personally though if you just want footage I'd just buy a game capture HD from ebay for 30-40 bucks and hook it up via composite. It also has the added bonus of having HDMI passthrough of analog sources, so you can use older analog hardware on modern tv sets assuming your TV doesn't mind 240p signals at times. The elgato also has an svideo connector but it's rare to find available.