Help me decide - 144Hz, 280Hz

Rixon
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Really depends on how good you are and if you are into competitive play. If you are just a casual, theres  really not much of a point over spending.

Is there a big difference? Depends on your eyes and how you handle it. I see the uplift going from 144 to 240 to 360 hz, some people its not as noticeable. The response time is better so that will be an improvement, but unless you are able to actually utilize it, not by much.

Hi everyone, I need some advice with building a gaming PC, I would really love to hear what you guys would choose.

I have a 4K 144Hz monitor (Gigabyte M28U) and I'm super happy with the purchase, I'm playing Call of Duty on my PS5 on 120 FPS and the experience is smooth.

A few days ago I came across a video of CSGO Pros talking about how 280Hz is a huge advantage, and because of how big the change was from 60 to 120, I just can't stop thinking about upgrading.

The problem is, building a PC that will hit stable 280 FPS + buying a 280Hz monitor will cost way more than building a PC that runs CS2 on 144FPS and using the monitor I already have.

Total budget right now: $1300

There are two choices I can make here, I could:

1) $1110 - Build a PC that is good enough to run CS2 at 144 FPS and games like Baldur's Gate 3 at 45-60 FPS - Maybe Ryzen 5 7600 + RX 6700 XT 12GB - and use the monitor I already have (4K 144Hz)

2) $1665 - Build a PC that can run CS2 at 280 FPS, and run most games in 4K with DLSS - Maybe Ryzen 5 7600 + 4070 Super - and buy a 280Hz monitor from my next salary

I don't really enjoy demading single player games, I have to constantly talk with my friends or strangers to enjoy a videogame - So I don't think I would make use of a GPU stronger than 4070 Super. I visited multiple electronics stores in my city but I couldn't find a 280Hz monitor that I could test out, so I simply have no Idea how big the jump from 144 to 280 is.

I'm really curious what you guys would choose and I would really appreciate any tips and comments! 🙂

Really depends on how good you are and if you are into competitive play. If you are just a casual, theres  really not much of a point over spending.

Is there a big difference? Depends on your eyes and how you handle it. I see the uplift going from 144 to 240 to 360 hz, some people its not as noticeable. The response time is better so that will be an improvement, but unless you are able to actually utilize it, not by much.

I'm not planning to ever become a Pro, but I really do enjoy competing and improving at CS2 and Valorant.

you can think of it in worst case time before display refresh
60hz has a screen refresh every 16ms
120hz every 8ms
280 every 3.5ms
you can see there is some diminishing returns

11 minutes ago, Rixon said:

I'm not planning to ever become a Pro, but I really do enjoy competing and improving at CS2 and Valorant.

unless you're gonna be a pro:
Don't bother chasing obscene FPS.

144 is more than enough to be a good player.

9 minutes ago, tkitch said:

unless you're gonna be a pro:
Don't bother chasing obscene FPS.

144 is more than enough to be a good player.

Do you think It's possible to hit the highest ranks in CS2 or Valo on 144Hz?

I've read on Reddit that it's possible to hit Global Elite on 60Hz but I'm not sure if that was just a joke.

absolutely.

A higher Hz doesn't make you a better player, it's just one more tool to help you. 

57 minutes ago, Rixon said:

Do you think It's possible to hit the highest ranks in CS2 or Valo on 144Hz?

I mean, all of the current and previous gen pros became pro's on 144hz monitors. It's not like 280 or 360 has existed for over 10 years (more like 5)

I think you'd need to work on getting good enough first that your hardware is your limiting factor for getting better

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

the part of your post which makes me slap the forehead is a 4k monitor using a Gfx card made for a 1440p display.

can a 4090 even get 280 fps at 4k? or even the future 5090?

11 hours ago, silenttwalker said:

the part of your post which makes me slap the forehead is a 4k monitor using a Gfx card made for a 1440p display.

can a 4090 even get 280 fps at 4k? or even the future 5090?

When people talk about a 280Hz monitor, it will in 10 out of 10 cases be an 1080p monitor.

does linus have a video on HZ differences and if people can notice them? I have tried 60fps vs 120fps and alot of times I have to check to make sure 120fps is working. BUt from say 144hz to 240hz I think i'd only notice a slight difference if I was playing CS2. Would be an interesting video for sure.

12 hours ago, Rixon said:

When people talk about a 280Hz monitor, it will in 10 out of 10 cases be an 1080p monitor.

I've not looked at the latest monitors but the chap is talking 4k in his two options not 1080p

I've got no idea how many details he'd need to turn off to get 200+ fps at 4k or if it was even possible

2 hours ago, jre84 said:

does linus have a video on HZ differences and if people can notice them? I have tried 60fps vs 120fps and alot of times I have to check to make sure 120fps is working. BUt from say 144hz to 240hz I think i'd only notice a slight difference if I was playing CS2. Would be an interesting video for sure.

I gather from other videos it helps in regard to input lag, but at those fps you'd need to be Olympic champion fast to make the most of it, probably?

13 minutes ago, silenttwalker said:

I've not looked at the latest monitors bu chap is talking 4k in his two options not 1080p

Nah nobody is talking about 4K when mentioning 280Hz, when someone tells you they're considering a 280Hz monitor, they expect you to already know that they're talking about a 1080p monitor.

Nah when someone tells you they're considering a 280Hz monitor, they expect you to already know that they're talking about the AW2723DF.

Prepare to lose most matches against 60 year old men using this monitor, and comatose hospital patients using the MPG 271QRX

14 hours ago, Rixon said:

Nah nobody is talking about 4K when mentioning 280Hz, when someone tells you they're considering a 280Hz monitor, they expect you to already know that they're talking about a 1080p monitor.

Are they now? 

Not everyone is super versed in the latest monitor trends so just mention it next time and problem solved?

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 12:09 AM, Rixon said:

well best I could find was in a search, but at 2 grand it can't be the one he is talking about, but if 240hz is what my find can do at 7680 x 2160 then monitors must be improving quite quickly if you have the money.

2) $1665 - Build a PC that can run CS2 at 280 FPS, and run most games in 4K with DLSS - Maybe Ryzen 5 7600 + 4070 Super - and buy a 280Hz monitor from my next salary

The best 4K ultrawide

SPECIFICATIONS

Screen size: 57-inch
Panel type: VA (mini-LED)
Aspect ratio: 32:9
Resolution: 7680 x 2160
Response time: 1 ms GtG
Refresh rate: 240 Hz
Weight: 42 lbs | 19 kg
Refresh rate technology: FreeSync

On 3/22/2024 at 4:21 PM, Rixon said:

Hi everyone, I need some advice with building a gaming PC, I would really love to hear what you guys would choose.

I have a 4K 144Hz monitor (Gigabyte M28U) and I'm super happy with the purchase, I'm playing Call of Duty on my PS5 on 120 FPS and the experience is smooth.

A few days ago I came across a video of CSGO Pros talking about how 280Hz is a huge advantage, and because of how big the change was from 60 to 120, I just can't stop thinking about upgrading.

The problem is, building a PC that will hit stable 280 FPS + buying a 280Hz monitor will cost way more than building a PC that runs CS2 on 144FPS and using the monitor I already have.

Total budget right now: $1300

There are two choices I can make here, I could:

1) $1110 - Build a PC that is good enough to run CS2 at 144 FPS and games like Baldur's Gate 3 at 45-60 FPS - Maybe Ryzen 5 7600 + RX 6700 XT 12GB - and use the monitor I already have (4K 144Hz)

2) $1665 - Build a PC that can run CS2 at 280 FPS, and run most games in 4K with DLSS - Maybe Ryzen 5 7600 + 4070 Super - and buy a 280Hz monitor from my next salary

I don't really enjoy demading single player games, I have to constantly talk with my friends or strangers to enjoy a videogame - So I don't think I would make use of a GPU stronger than 4070 Super. I visited multiple electronics stores in my city but I couldn't find a 280Hz monitor that I could test out, so I simply have no Idea how big the jump from 144 to 280 is.

I'm really curious what you guys would choose and I would really appreciate any tips and comments! 🙂

I think you have to do more research on 4k monitors and what they are really capable of in todays market

So I'm giving you 2 sites I used to pick the monitor I have now

Choose Your Parts - PCPartPicker

Versus | Compare everything

you'll have to change the site to your location, but after you do then you can get a rough idea from part picker of cost/hz/pixel then after narrowing choices use Versus for a more detailed comparison.