Are wireless devices as good as wired ones now?

Titles says it all. I've been meaning to buy some new peripherals, mainly mouse and keyboard, and was considering going wireless to slim down the cable mess thats behind my desk.

For reference, I've been using a wired mouse I "found" in my ex school computer lab, and a nice wired keyboard from sharkoon (I think it's mechanic but not sure). Honestly, I'm not much of a gamer but have been very comfortable with both for years now and was wondering if there was any downside in picking a wireless one now, and if there were something similar to the ones I've been using.

An additional note, my pc doesn't have bluetooth connettivity, nor wifi. so if something were to be wireless it'd have to be one of those that still take up an USB port

wireless peripherals that use their own usb adapter you plug in to your pc are as good as wired.
ones that use your computer's built in bluetooth are megatrash.

wireless devices use basically their own standards to achieve very low latency communication which isnt a thing in the regular bluetooth protocol yet iirc

It really depends on the tech used, placement, and how much you personally feel the difference.

I personally have had lots of problems with wireless mice, even decently high end ones, and just went to a wired mouse with a very good cable instead. I found that dealt with all the issues I had with the mouse getting snagged or having some kind of resistance, which a wireless mouse would inherently fix. But without the latency of a wireless solution.

Unless we're talking about audio quality, wireless is fine for everything else. (For instance don't stream music on Tidal thinking it's going to be hifi if you're using BT.) You said you don't have BT and no wifi as an option so bonus for you not running into that mess.

For everyday computing wireless is fine. I just find myself using more batteries when I use a wireless mouse. I'd suggest finding a mouse, wireless or not, that has a good reputation and isn't reputable for planned obsolescence. I've been using this Corsair Scimitar for 2 years now with regular cleaning and maintenance it runs like I just bought it yesterday.  

春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。

15 minutes ago, MewMew said:

Unless we're talking about audio quality, wireless is fine for everything else. (For instance don't stream music on Tidal thinking it's going to be hifi if you're using BT.) You said you don't have BT and no wifi as an option so bonus for you not running into that mess.

For everyday computing wireless is fine. I just find myself using more batteries when I use a wireless mouse. I'd suggest finding a mouse, wireless or not, that has a good reputation and isn't reputable for planned obsolescence. I've been using this Corsair Scimitar for 2 years now with regular cleaning and maintenance it runs like I just bought it yesterday.  

thank you, seemingly multiple people came to the same conclusion, so I'll be looking into those. But I checked on amazon, damn 80+ bucks for a mouse... sheesh I probably need to stick with what I've got for now. Also yeah, I don't use BT for audio, got some great IEMs 🙂

Now I just need to document myself I guess, do you have recommendations on sites/channels where I can get some info? thanks

27 minutes ago, Vymix said:

Titles says it all. I've been meaning to buy some new peripherals, mainly mouse and keyboard, and was considering going wireless to slim down the cable mess thats behind my desk.

There are no "wireless" devices that are better than wired devices. The only reason you'd want a wireless device over a wired one is where the convenience of being wireless outstrips the reliability of it being wired.

Like, I would NOT recommend wireless keyboards, EVER. Not as your primary keyboard at least. Wireless mouse, also would not recommend, but you're fine if you use a single proprietary dongle for the KB/Mouse. Bluetooth is better since it doesn't waste a USB port, but Bluetooth isn't available until AFTER the OS is loaded. Best compromise is make sure that the device (Keyboard and Mouse) has both the BT and the Proprietary dongle so it can be used to reinstall the OS and enter the BIOS.

27 minutes ago, Vymix said:

For reference, I've been using a wired mouse I "found" in my ex school computer lab, and a nice wired keyboard from sharkoon (I think it's mechanic but not sure). Honestly, I'm not much of a gamer but have been very comfortable with both for years now and was wondering if there was any downside in picking a wireless one now, and if there were something similar to the ones I've been using.

An additional note, my pc doesn't have bluetooth connettivity, nor wifi. so if something were to be wireless it'd have to be one of those that still take up an USB port

You can find bluetooth dongles for like $5-20. 

Again, you should only use wireless KB+Mouse when there is nothing competing for that 2.4ghz band. 

There will be issues, like how often the mouse and keyboard go to sleep. Wireless mice, only "wake up" when a button is pressed. 

41 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Like, I would NOT recommend wireless keyboards, EVER. Not as your primary keyboard at least.

My opinion as well.  I've never liked wireless keyboards.  Batteries suck.

I use wireless everything.  I hate wires. Never had any issues at all with it.

It's fine. 

Make sure you have as close to "line of sight" as possible. 
Even if the latency were a little bit higher (it's about the same and sometimes lower) the fact that you don't have "inertia" from a cord compensates for it. 

I still wouldn't bother with a wireless keyboard though. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

1 hour ago, Erioch said:

My opinion as well.  I've never liked wireless keyboards.  Batteries suck.

Maybe new ones suck. I literally can't even remember the last time I changed my keyboard batteries. Its been at least 5 years.

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

Maybe new ones suck. I literally can't even remember the last time I changed my keyboard batteries. Its been at least 5 years.

I used to use one at work and had to change batteries every 3 or 4 months.

You still need wired mouse and keyboard to go into BIOS. Or when the battery is low. And if the PC doesn't react to your input, there is one more thing you will think causes the issue. If you can live with these shortcomings, wireless will be fine for 99.9% of the time when the above doesn't apply. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

12 minutes ago, Lurking said:

You still need wired mouse and keyboard to go into BIOS. 

No you don't. I built my first PC 23 years ago and I've literally never owned a wired keyboard or mouse. I can't believe there is still so much ignorance about them. 

Wireless has definitely come a long way.

I remember using this Microsoft 5000 Wireless back in the early 2000's.

Hot garbage. You try to play Counter Strike and move + click the mouse too fast, it will disconnect / reconnect... I guess to much data.

Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 5000, Model: 1007, 1009

I still use a wired / wireless mouse at home, but I have a Logitech G903 for the office (don't ask me how that got approved), but I've tried it at home for some light gaming. It works helluva better than the Microsoft one. Got it at the start of the pandemic.

Logitech G Pro X wireless headset at home works fantastic as well, been about ~2 years now.

Previously used a Logitech G35 (still have it in storage) wired headset, and a Steelseries Siberia V2 before that.

I don't really miss the cable getting caught on my chair's armrest or tangled under the wheels, when I need to get up to grab something within the room.

I'm not like wandering into the bathroom or something...

Keep in mind, the G903 and G Pro X headset both use Logitech's proprietary 2.4 GHz with it's own little USB dongle.

I have headsets / earbuds / keyboard / mice that connect via BT; they are definitely not as good at the proprietary 2.4 GHz.

The audio quality and syncing issues really kills it.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

4 hours ago, dilpickle said:

No you don't. I built my first PC 23 years ago and I've literally never owned a wired keyboard or mouse. I can't believe there is still so much ignorance about them. 

I have two Logitech wireless keyboards with a touchpad and they don't work outside Windows. Maybe the issue it being 2 devices (track pad and keyboard) in one device?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear some wireless devices overcame that issue 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

No because they need batteries/charging.

Wired till the day I die!

EDIT:// But I do use wireless earphones/headphones because the value addition of not having a tangled mess in the pocket/getting caught in stuff when moving around. But for stuff living on the desk wired is the way. 

Wireless mice is fine and has an real benefits.

With Wireless keyboard there is less options, and I think the benefits are so small that they aren't worth it unless you actually use it outside of your desk too.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I don't really approve of wireless anything, headphones has a sound quality cost, keyboards and mice have batteries that one day, I will forget to charge.

All of this ignores latency, as an MMO player primarily latency doesn't bother me that much. But it might affect you.

28 minutes ago, cooky560 said:

All of this ignores latency, as an MMO player primarily latency doesn't bother me that much. But it might affect you.

I would go as far to say that unless you're the top of the top professional e-sports player, latency wont affect you on any decent wireless peripherals