PTM7950 in a Steamdeck?

SmugHunter
Go to solution Solved by Orion_,

PTM is totally safe to use. It is a bit of a pain to apply when taking of the protective sheet. My strategy is to cut off plenty of extra for one side to have a sacrificial section for taking off the sheet. IE say the die is 20mm by 30mm I would  shoot to cut 30mm by 25mm so that there is plenty of space I dont care about getting messed up. 

13 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Why exactly are you doing this in the first place? Unless you are having thermal issues you dont need to change the paste for a few years. It hasnt been 3-4 years where the paste starts drying out o.o

As far as safety, its non conductive so it should be fine.

Not super familiar with the Steam Deck but the cooling solution looks a lot like a laptop. If it is, the TIM doesn't last nearly as long as on desktops. Depending on what you use it can pump out as quickly as a month (kryonaut). I doubt Valve used anything nearly that thin, but Im also not sure 3-4 years is a realistic expectation.  

I just wanted to know if using the PTM7950 pad from the store on my steam deck would be beneficial. Is there any risk in using it like there is with liquid metal?

Why exactly are you doing this in the first place? Unless you are having thermal issues you dont need to change the paste for a few years. It hasnt been 3-4 years where the paste starts drying out o.o

PTM is totally safe to use. It is a bit of a pain to apply when taking of the protective sheet. My strategy is to cut off plenty of extra for one side to have a sacrificial section for taking off the sheet. IE say the die is 20mm by 30mm I would  shoot to cut 30mm by 25mm so that there is plenty of space I dont care about getting messed up. 

13 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Not super familiar with the Steam Deck but the cooling solution looks a lot like a laptop. If it is, the TIM doesn't last nearly as long as on desktops. Depending on what you use it can pump out as quickly as a month (kryonaut). I doubt Valve used anything nearly that thin, but Im also not sure 3-4 years is a realistic expectation.  

5 minutes ago, Orion_ said:

For "Optimal" its usually once per year, for most things though, 3-5 years is generally when the paste becomes an issue and should be redone 🙂

6 minutes ago, Orion_ said:

Thank you

PTM7950 isn't conductive and gets better with heat and age.

If your deck isn't exhibiting signs of overheating and throttling, you don't need to replace the paste. 

If you use it, put the pad in the freezer before applying it. When it's cold it should be much easier to remove the plastic. They also have a paste version denoted with "SP".

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂