MSI Pro B760m-A Wifi DDR4 vs MSI Pro B660m-A Wifi DDr4

I saw that the two mobo have different VRMs setup, wondering how they compare to each other as I am planning to buy either one for my build. They are similar in price in my place and they are at the limit of my budget if there are other alternatives for the same price. I will mainly use it for productivity, gaming (1080p), video editing and graphics design. I am pairing it with the gool ol' I5 12400 and RTX3070. Ah and I am also putting in my 2x8GB of Crucial Ballistix CL16 in there.

24 minutes ago, 3llyas said:

I saw that the two mobo have different VRMs setup

I know they have different heatsinks on them, but their actual VRMs should be largely identical from what I know. Only differences I can really tell between them is the heatsinks, RGB headers, and the front panel connector locations. It would really just come down to a flip of a coin for which one is actually "better," so I'd say the B760 version as that should in theory get faster BIOS updates. 

I might also consider other motherboard options. The B760M PG Riptide for instance has the ability to overclock the 12400 that you're planning on using, which can get some rather impressive performance gains, while not usually costing much more than the B760M-A, though admittedly that would require you upgrade to DDR5 (that still might be worth it if you want to double your RAM capacity and resell your old kit). 

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I know they have different heatsinks on them, but their actual VRMs should be largely identical from what I know. 

From what I saw and read the B660 has an 8+1 while the newer B760 has a 12+1+1 but I'm not sure how they will fare performance-wise. As you said maybe I would just go for the newer model for the faster support.

19 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

though admittedly that would require you upgrade to DDR5 (that still might be worth it if you want to double your RAM capacity and resell your old kit). 

Yeah unfortunately in my place the price for DDR5 is very high compared to DDR4 and it might just blow my budget for it hahaha, though there are other recommendations for motherboards with similar performance. Oh and thanks as well!!

15 minutes ago, 3llyas said:

From what I saw and read the B660 has an 8+1 while the newer B760 has a 12+1+1 but I'm not sure how they will fare performance-wise

Where did you see that? Comparing photos of the boards they have the exact same 12+1+1 setup. Besides, even if it was different, the B660M-A Pro can run 8P core chips without overheating assuming there's mild airflow over the board, so the B760M-A Pro having a bigger VRM would only help. 

25 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Where did you see that? Comparing photos of the boards they have the exact same 12+1+1 setup. 

Maybe I was just a bit high hahahaha, anyway thanks a lot you helped me solidify my choice! Cheers