Just bought new power supply but was smoking when first turned on pc runs fine

Zzzzzzz
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
Just now, Zzzzzzz said:

Used new cables with new power supply

That's really unusual so I'd double check all your cable connections are snug and correct before turning it on again. Do you happen to know where the smoke was coming from?

I just bought a new power supply but when I first turned it on there was smoke not weird noises just smoke. I’ve already checked all the connections, I do have extension cables but they’ve worked great in the past. What should I do?

Edited by Zzzzzzz
Update: Also makes a clicking sound when I turn off the pc I’ve never heard that in any previous power supplies

Modular power supply? If yes, did you reuse the old PSU cables? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, Zzzzzzz said:

Just now, Zzzzzzz said:

That's really unusual so I'd double check all your cable connections are snug and correct before turning it on again. Do you happen to know where the smoke was coming from?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I do not know exactly where the smoke is coming from

Just now, Zzzzzzz said:

I do not know exactly where the smoke is coming from

Can you list your PC specifications, including the old and new make/model/wattage of the power supplies? 

Motherboard - X570 Gaming edge WiFi 

CPU - ryzen 7 5600g or 5800g (Whichever one actually exists)

GPU - rtx 3060 

storage - 1tb ssd and 2tb hard drive 

Ram - 32gb teamgroup delta rgb

cpu cooler - ID cooling 240mm

New psu- seasonic focus gx-850w 80+ gold

Old psu - Evga 600bq watt 80+ bronze

12 minutes ago, Zzzzzzz said:

Motherboard - X570 Gaming edge WiFi 

CPU - ryzen 7 5600g or 5800g (Whichever one actually exists)

GPU - rtx 3060 

storage - 1tb ssd and 2tb hard drive 

Ram - 32gb teamgroup delta rgb

cpu cooler - ID cooling 240mm

New psu- seasonic focus gx-850w 80+ gold

Old psu - Evga 600bq watt 80+ bronze

You're gonna have to tear down the PC and determine if there are any burnt connectors or burnt marks on PCBs (printed circuit boards) such as the motherboard, graphics card (at least on the back where the backplate would be). Use your nose and waft your hand through the air the smell (as if your smelling cooked food) on each component to try and pinpoint where the smell, and possibly damage, is located.

Also, please be sure to use the quote button located at the bottom left corner of a post so that we know you replied. 

56 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

If it actually came from the PSU, I wouldn't even turn it on again.

It might be working, but some component could have been defective from the factory and is no longer doing its job any more which could cause further damage to anything else connected to the PSU over time.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

The first place I would check for any kind of weirdness is the power supply, since that's where the smoke appears to have come from. You might have to get personal with it, but you'll need to look at it at all angles to see if any damage is present.

Otherwise, return the power supply, and inspect the rest of the build to see if anything else looks damaged.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

You're gonna have to tear down the PC and determine if there are any burnt connectors or burnt marks on PCBs (printed circuit boards) such as the motherboard, graphics card (at least on the back where the backplate would be). Use your nose and waft your hand through the air the smell (as if your smelling cooked food) on each component to try and pinpoint where the smell, and possibly damage, is located.

Also, please be sure to use the quote button located at the bottom left corner of a post so that we know you replied. 

No damage seems to be present to any components 

11 minutes ago, Zzzzzzz said:

No damage seems to be present to any components 

If it came from the PSU, you wont be able to see that.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If it came from the PSU, you wont be able to see that.

Decided not to as it’s a new power supply, my last one failed almost the same way, and voids the warranty

2 minutes ago, Zzzzzzz said:

Decided not to as it’s a new power supply, my last one failed almost the same way, and voids the warranty

You might be able to see something by looking through the grille of the power supply, and through the fan. No need to disassemble it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You might be able to see something by looking through the grille of the power supply, and through the fan. No need to disassemble it.

No damage inside the psu that can be seen

8 minutes ago, Zzzzzzz said:

No damage inside the psu that can be seen

I think that even with no visible damage present(based on what's visible), I would return your power supply to the manufacturer and allow them to either investigate it, or give you a new unit. That to me is the best thing to do in this scenario.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I think that even with no visible damage present(based on what's visible), I would return your power supply to the manufacturer and allow them to either investigate it, or give you a new unit. That to me is the best thing to do in this scenario.

This was what I meant, if you can't see visible damage anywhere and the smoke came from the PSU then it doesn't matter if you can see it, clearly something IS burnt in the PSU.