My PC updated on its own and now I can't boot

Garrzilla
Go to solution Solved by Average Nerd,
1 minute ago, Garrzilla said:

Any ideas on saving my data or do I need to wipe it all?

You should be able to get your data back by installing the C drive into a computer that has a working boot drive/OS, and navigating to your user folder. (This method works only if you have BitLocker disabled or if you have your BitLocker key).

Then I'd suggest a clean reinstall (wiping the defective installs and reinstalling Windows).

I am part of Windows 11 insider and I guess a new update bricked my PC. I woke up to my PC recently updated, everything was fine for an hour. Then it started to lag, eventually froze and started a loop of the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD. I load up a USB with Windows 11, do a custom install of Windows, select my C drive and try installing another instance of Windows. Now I have 2 installs on my C drive, and when I try to load both I get this same error "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. The install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer and then restart the installation."

I also ruled out hardware by removing the C drive and putting it into another perfectly working PC. Any ideas on saving my data or do I need to wipe it all?

1 minute ago, Garrzilla said:

Any ideas on saving my data or do I need to wipe it all?

You should be able to get your data back by installing the C drive into a computer that has a working boot drive/OS, and navigating to your user folder. (This method works only if you have BitLocker disabled or if you have your BitLocker key).

Then I'd suggest a clean reinstall (wiping the defective installs and reinstalling Windows).

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

52 minutes ago, Garrzilla said:

I am part of Windows 11 insider and I guess a new update bricked my PC. I woke up to my PC recently updated, everything was fine for an hour. Then it started to lag, eventually froze and started a loop of the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD. I load up a USB with Windows 11, do a custom install of Windows, select my C drive and try installing another instance of Windows. Now I have 2 installs on my C drive, and when I try to load both I get this same error "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. The install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer and then restart the installation."

I also ruled out hardware by removing the C drive and putting it into another perfectly working PC. Any ideas on saving my data or do I need to wipe it all?

If you're a Russian Roulette player don't wonder why you get killed 1/6 of the time 😛 

Boot sector on your drive may be broken, so creating new windows install on it won't help, you have to create another boot drive to access your current drive

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

14 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

If you're a Russian Roulette player don't wonder why you get killed 1/6 of the time 😛 

Boot sector on your drive may be broken, so creating new windows install on it won't help, you have to create another boot drive to access your current drive

Are you saying don't be part of Windows Insider?

34 minutes ago, Garrzilla said:

Are you saying don't be part of Windows Insider?

I mean it's a risk, and I won't do that without a stable boot backup drive

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones