Squeaky/scraping fans. Am I the only one?

DeerDK

Hi, 

I've been battling quite a bit with squeaky fans, so I just want so share my experience/frustration. 

I'm in contact with MSI on this one so it will hopefully be solved, but I've tried it with a few case fans and GPU fans now, and it's driving me crazy. 

Are any of you encountering the same issue? 

(and I've testet with open case. It's the same. No objects are touching the fans) 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

I'm sorry, what exactly is the problem? That video has a couple of faint clicking sounds which honestly don't sound like fans. It sounds more like a really loud mouse click or a relay resetting.
First off, what are the full specs of your PC?
Second, how confident are you that the sound is coming from the fan(s)? Have you pulled it out and ran it outside the case and hear the sound? Have you stuck your ear inside the case and localized it to A fan? Or a set of fans? Or a fan position? 
Third, can you give up pics of the PC, plus a video of the fan(s) in question?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

You sure its the fans, and not coil whine? When turning the sound way up i hear a faint high pitch sound behind the mouse clicks that could very well be coil whine.

And also.  What product? MSI make a hole bunch of stuff

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

13 minutes ago, OddOod said:

I'm sorry, what exactly is the problem? That video has a couple of faint clicking sounds which honestly don't sound like fans. It sounds more like a really loud mouse click or a relay resetting.
First off, what are the full specs of your PC?
Second, how confident are you that the sound is coming from the fan(s)? Have you pulled it out and ran it outside the case and hear the sound? Have you stuck your ear inside the case and localized it to A fan? Or a set of fans? Or a fan position? 
Third, can you give up pics of the PC, plus a video of the fan(s) in question?

Hmm, try turning up the volumen? 

If you turn it up you can hear mouseclicks from me starting fanspeed at 30 % in MSI afterburner, then the fans start with the scraping/squeaking sound and then the rush of air. Then I turn it off again and the rush dissapears and then then scraping sound.

Again, the clicks are my mouse.

Im 100% certain its the gpu fans. 

A: i have tested with and with out the top of the case on.

B: i have located the source of the sound by audio location (you know, listening)

C: i can start and stop the sound by turning on and off the fans on the gpu in MSI afterburner.

D: i can stop the sound by physically stopping one specific fan on the gpu.

PC specs.
Case: Node 304

CPU: 5600x

GPU: Msi 4070 Super, Gaming slim 

Mobo: ROG B550i

PSU: ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 750W (iirc)

Regarding pictures, ill see if i can finde some

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

23 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

You sure its the fans, and not coil whine? When turning the sound way up i hear a faint high pitch sound behind the mouse clicks that could very well be coil whine.

And also.  What product? MSI make a hole bunch of stuff

Yes, very sure. I am dealing with a bit of coilwhine as well, but ive run some benchmarks both in Cyberpunk and Heaven and this sound comes when i activate the fans in MSI afterburner, without putting actual load on the card.

Sorry, forgot about the gpu. Its a 4070 Super, Gaming Slim

image.png.588cdc360a38d316ba49fa949730e579.png

I pulled the audio from the video and ran it through a spectrograph. It does look like there is a whine at ~6000Hz. That's not gonna be a fan sound. It may be coil whine from the fan's power system, but most manufacturers won't RMA for coil whine. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 minute ago, OddOod said:

image.png.588cdc360a38d316ba49fa949730e579.png

I pulled the audio from the video and ran it through a spectrograph. It does look like there is a whine at ~6000Hz. That's not gonna be a fan sound. It may be coil whine from the fan's power system, but most manufacturers won't RMA for coil whine. 

Hmm, interesting, can that also be the case when it disappears when I press a finger against the fan, physically stopping it? And if the sound can be replicated by me spinning the fan with my finger, when the pc is off?

Can you hear the high pitched sound if you turn up the volumen? To me its quite clear, but I also know what im listening for.

As I mentioned, i've experienced similar problem with a case fan from noctua. (NF-A12-25)