hulu web browers vs rippped DVD

almost pin point scene but i feel the ripped dvd on the right is better picture quality than the hulu version figured the hulu would be in better detail , never got around to apps on my pc already to much corn i mean bloatware

unknown_2024_03.18-21_14.thumb.png.c345c618778ef260b325d934bc23520d.png

7 minutes ago, tjrose91 said:

almost pin point scene but i feel the ripped dvd on the right is better picture quality than the hulu version figured the hulu would be in better detail , never got around to apps on my pc already to much corn i mean bloatware

unknown_2024_03.18-21_14.thumb.png.c345c618778ef260b325d934bc23520d.png

If its a well mastered DVD I'm not too surprised.

One benefit is streaming uses better/newer codecs, but also they likely just push the bitrate as low as possible.  They also don't always deinterlace all content very well before encoding it.

The difference tends to get even bigger once we move up to Bluray and UHD Bluray as the streaming services try even harder to save bandwidth.  For example 4K might be 60Mbit on Bluray but 10-17 on Streaming.  No matter how good the codecs are, you tend to lose detail, particularly as Bluray uses newer codecs to begin with.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 3/19/2024 at 12:00 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

If its a well mastered DVD I'm not too surprised.

One benefit is streaming uses better/newer codecs, but also they likely just push the bitrate as low as possible.  They also don't always deinterlace all content very well before encoding it.

The difference tends to get even bigger once we move up to Bluray and UHD Bluray as the streaming services try even harder to save bandwidth.  For example 4K might be 60Mbit on Bluray but 10-17 on Streaming.  No matter how good the codecs are, you tend to lose detail, particularly as Bluray uses newer codecs to begin with.

i was getting into ripping blu-rays but at 25gb - 50gb for 1080p file folder size is a bit much for me to handle granted i increased my storage but already 7.4tb on my main storage out of 12tb on 3x4tb raid storage and yes i do have two more backups, but my movies and shows libary is almost 6tb mostly DVD copies that i can handle at 4-8gb per DVD and to lazy to figure out blu-ray software even thou i have an active cyberlink key

18 minutes ago, tjrose91 said:

i was getting into ripping blu-rays but at 25gb - 50gb for 1080p file folder size is a bit much for me to handle granted i increased my storage but already 7.4tb on my main storage out of 12tb on 3x4tb raid storage and yes i do have two more backups, but my movies and shows libary is almost 6tb mostly DVD copies that i can handle at 4-8gb per DVD and to lazy to figure out blu-ray software even thou i have an active cyberlink key

I'm rocking the physical media, saving the NAS for content I can't get physically.  I do hate it for TV shows where you forget which episode you were on, but its not a big deal for movies.

Also when it comes to playback device you might think that because its the same codec the quality is always the same, but surprisingly there are huge differences.  For example my TV smart apps produce a much blurrier image than my ShieldTV, but my Panasonic UHD Bluray player beats both.

I have ripped some DVDs however in order to run them through Topaz Video AI to upscale them, I even did a VHS rip that at least in some scenes was an eye opening difference.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

i just find it intresting that i know the show The Unit is a bit old by today standards but figured streaming would be better quality than DVD's