UPGRADE in secret/ without IT Department knowing

I work remote. My Company issued PC is a 2012 Vintage HP workstation. A refurb that they got me during the PC shortage of 2021. A ransom ware attack hit the company and they had us dumpster the machines we had been using instead of trying to scrub them... 

Last year, I took out the original pair of GPU's  and put in an RX580 that I had laying around .  It was a huge improvement.  More importantly  our "IT"  manager never noticed...  Oddly enough,  I also happen to have an x570 board/ 5900x machine laying around that is complete except it needs an SSD

Will Windows 10 PRO  let me install the old workstation SSD with that new board and CPU?  (again without catching our IT guy's attention? )   Does either Windows 10 or MS 365 have a hardware  based security component that could trip me up?  (If I have call back to HQ and have someone take time to reauthenticate anything , I'll never hear then end of it ) 

Edited by Todd2
clarification

Just now, Todd2 said:

(If I have call back to HQ and have someone take time to reauthenticate anything , I'll never hear then end of it ) 

So you know it's wrong, but are willing to risk your job for it?

Why not make a case for getting a new computer out of this year or next year's budget?

Most places if you change a computer or make changes to a computer without permission and are caught you can get fired. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Hope you are willing to take the risk of termination without severance pay 🙂 must be nice to be that financially secure!

7 minutes ago, Todd2 said:

I work remote. My Company issued PC is a 2012 Vintage HP workstation. A refurb that they got me during the PC shortage of 2021. A ransom ware attack hit the company and they had us dumpster the machines we had been using instead of trying to scrub them... 

Last year, I took out the original pair of GPU's  and put in an RX580 that I had laying around .  It was a huge improvement.  More importantly  our "IT"  manager never noticed...  Oddly enough,  I also happen to have an x570 board/ 5900x machine laying around that is complete except it needs an SSD

Will Windows 10 PRO  let me install the old workstation SSD with that new board and CPU?  (again without catching our IT guy's attention? )   Does either Windows 10 or MS 365 have a hardware  based security component that could trip me up?  (If I have call back to HQ and have someone take time to reauthenticate anything , I'll never hear then end of it ) 

Bruh I'm sorry but that is a big no-no modifying company property...

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 8-Core Processor

Memory: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4

SSD: WD_BLACK SN770 1TB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 12G oc

Motherboard: Asus Prime B-450 A2

Case: MuseTex k2 Mid Tower

Monitor 1: Samsung SyncMaster S27D360

Monitor 2: Samsung Syncmaster S27B350

Keyboard: Razer Onata

Mouse: Razer Viper

🤔except from Omen, i thought HP use proprietary cases and mainboards as DELL, Lenovo and any other brands do, so a standard ATX board wouldn't fit anyway.. 

and yes, win 10 pro is locked to ssid.. 

i would agree the strategy of getting dumpster replacements, is retarded when a reinstall should have solved it, and locking down affected files, with a restore should have solved the serverside issue with corrupted files. 

changing a company system can if not only you, also get your company in problems if microsoft does a license audit. 

IF you tell them, atleast they can remove the old license and authenticate the new.. 

I'm reporting you to corporate. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Maybe the computer can have a happy little accident. Things happen, ya dig.

7 minutes ago, Robchil said:

🤔except from Omen, i thought HP use proprietary cases and mainboards as DELL, Lenovo and any other brands do, so a standard ATX board wouldn't fit anyway.. 

and yes, win 10 pro is locked to ssid.. 

i would agree the strategy of getting dumpster replacements, is retarded when a reinstall should have solved it, and locking down affected files, with a restore should have solved the serverside issue with corrupted files. 

changing a company system can if not only you, also get your company in problems if microsoft does a license audit. 

win 10 pro is locked to ssid.. 

That was what I was looking to know... 

(as for the case, yes,  the old z820 is a proprietary board/ case... . I wouldn't have used it, all I care about is the drive. .. ) 

I work in a corporate IT department, and if I found out someone did this, frankly, I'd have them written up or fired. Do not modify company equipment. Also, if the IT dept. is at all competent, they will find out.

14 minutes ago, Todd2 said:

win 10 pro is locked to ssid.. 

That was what I was looking to know... 

(as for the case, yes,  the old z820 is a proprietary board/ case... . I wouldn't have used it, all I care about is the drive. .. ) 

Remember, the Company gets what they pay for..  even if it makes you work slower, so they pay for slower work..... 

That your IT department didn't find out you changed GPU's, means they don't have a proper inventory system or don't know how to extract changes reports... i've seen both... 

this will:

- upset all of the IT staff

- upset the entire C-suite

- potentially lead to an immediate termination

Never modify a company owned computer/device without authorization. It is asking for trouble and likely termination. 

-Thread Locked-

Discussion of circumventing workplace monitoring is not permitted here, per our Community Standards:

Piracy, Hacking, and other Illegal Activities

• Discussion on how to engage in piracy is not allowed.
    • Redistribution of copyrighted material, including links to third party hosting sites, is not permitted.
    • Discussion of piracy in general is acceptable (e.g. "Game X becomes the most pirated game ever").
    • Hackintosh discussion is permitted.
  • Discussion on engaging in hacking or cracking is not allowed, including:
    • Bypassing security features, restrictions, or filters (including parental filters, school restrictions, or workplace monitoring), including on your own device.
  • Any illegal content or discussion on engaging in illegal activities is not permitted. Canadian law applies, as well as any jurisdictions that apply to you.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!