Are gpu MOSFETS require heatsinks

Go to solution Solved by DoctorNick,
On 3/13/2024 at 2:20 AM, ayoub98 said:

I have a Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G without a cooler only the bare pcb 

I ordered a heatsink for the the gpu but it comes without the mosfets heatsink

The heatsink only touches the gpu core and the surrounding vrams 

Will it run okay ? Or the mosfets will heatup and kill the gpu ?

It'll be fine, as you can see on this picture it's only connected to the cooler using thermal pads, but the pads only touch the heatsink part, not any cooling plates or heat pipes, so even in stock configuration, the cooling provided is very limited. Also won't get very hot on that card. I used to run a 1080ti without ram and VRM cooling for years with nzxt G12 bracket and it worked fine. As long as you got airflow over the area. The cooler will provide this. You can clean the VRAM and VRM area using IPA or ethanol (let it dry properly before connecting).

Edit:

You'll still need thermal pads on the VRAM, because the cooler is covering this area. If you don't have any, you can use thermal paste instead, but won't work as well as thermal pads:

image.png.290b9b06e94c8f986e38090dad449e1e.png

s-l1200.webp

Screenshot_20240313-012025_AliExpress.png

The MOSFETS use a small aluminum heatsink, and the inductors are cooled by a thermal pad, as seen here:

image.png.26fd68921de2f0bf0ce36ec3fea3dd13.png

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Cooling: 2x Delta GFB1212VHG w. PWM

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

On 3/13/2024 at 2:20 AM, ayoub98 said:

It'll be fine, as you can see on this picture it's only connected to the cooler using thermal pads, but the pads only touch the heatsink part, not any cooling plates or heat pipes, so even in stock configuration, the cooling provided is very limited. Also won't get very hot on that card. I used to run a 1080ti without ram and VRM cooling for years with nzxt G12 bracket and it worked fine. As long as you got airflow over the area. The cooler will provide this. You can clean the VRAM and VRM area using IPA or ethanol (let it dry properly before connecting).

Edit:

You'll still need thermal pads on the VRAM, because the cooler is covering this area. If you don't have any, you can use thermal paste instead, but won't work as well as thermal pads:

image.png.290b9b06e94c8f986e38090dad449e1e.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

This is the heatsink i was searching for and i couldn't find 

So i can run the card without this black heatsink on top of the MOSFETS without any issues

image.png.26fd68921de2f0bf0ce36ec3fea3dd13.jpg

15 hours ago, ayoub98 said:

This is the heatsink i was searching for and i couldn't find 

So i can run the card without this black heatsink on top of the MOSFETS without any issues

image.png.26fd68921de2f0bf0ce36ec3fea3dd13.jpg

Yes 100%

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

-= Topic Moved to Graphics Cards =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER