Post (I Think) But No Video

New pc and first time building my own. I have no clue where the issue lies. I have tried troubleshooting on my own but can't seem to solve it. 

The ez diag led will go CPU -> DRAM -> CPU -> DRAM -> CPU -> DRAM -> VGA -> BOOT

And will stick on boot indefinitely with zero video output. 

Specs include:

- i7-14700KF

- 1080Ti Founders Edition

- MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk WiFi Wifi DDr5

- 16gb Corsair Vengencd DDR5 5200

- WD Black SN850X 1TB

- EVGA Supernova 850 G6 80 Plus Gold

Things I've tried:

- Each stick of ram in each ram slot

- no ram

- no gpu

- unable to flash bios with newer version, led indicator for it remains turned on after flashing for 5-10 seconds

- Checked cables to ensure plugged in all the way, willing to recheck if you guys think necessary

I haven't checked the gpu in a known good computer, will do so when I get the chance but had to leave the house before I could get the chance to do so. 

Have attached photos of the ez diag mobo led and one of the rear ports to show the red bios flash light that remains on after every attempt. 

Any help is greatly appreciated and I do want to apologize ahead of time if I've overlooked any rules or guidelines before posting. 

20240311_185202.jpg

20240311_185002.jpg

20240311_184639.jpg

20240311_184623.jpg

20240311_184612.jpg

All I can say is that system32 didn't seem that important at first alright?

by my knowledge... no board can realy handle more than 2 DDR5 yet... so take out two and leave from the cpu slot 2 and 4 in. 

now try to boot

Slots 2 and 4 for the ram, not 1 and 3. 

But if it get's to boot that should mean it's posting, it's just not displaying. You have a KF CPU, the F means no integrated graphics. So you will not be able to display with a GPU removed. 

I would test the GPU in a known working system or a known working GPU in this system. Sounds to me like a faulty GPU. If it is a recent purchase and was a used card, that wasn't tested prior, I would think so even more. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Is the USB drive formatted to FAT32?

If you use any other format, it CAN fail to recognize the drive.

You've already renamed the .ROM file.

Using the correct USB port on the back.

The ez diag led will go CPU -> DRAM -> CPU -> DRAM -> CPU -> DRAM -> VGA -> BOOT

Is fine. It's telling you it is getting stuck at the BOOT step.

No SSD or OS Boot drive detected.

You need to have a Windows / OS installed on the WD SN805X to be able to BOOT into anything...

If you haven't already, you need to create a installed media, and install Windows (or whatever OS you want to use).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

57 minutes ago, Robchil said:

by my knowledge... no board can realy handle more than 2 DDR5 yet... so take out two and leave from the cpu slot 2 and 4 in. 

now try to boot

There is only 2 ram sticks in, it's 2 sticks of 8gb each for 16gb

10 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Is the USB drive formatted to FAT32?

If you use any other format, it CAN fail to recognize the drive.

You've already renamed the .ROM file.

Using the correct USB port on the back.

Is fine. It's telling you it is getting stuck at the BOOT step.

No SSD or OS Boot drive detected.

You need to have a Windows / OS installed on the WD SN805X to be able to BOOT into anything...

If you haven't already, you need to create a installed media, and install Windows (or whatever OS you want to use).

USB drive is Fat32 

I did try with a known good ssd of win 11 and the boot LED turned off and it seems like it booted fully but I had no indication as I still had no video so I'm starting to suspect gpu? Going to try in my current working system to see if I get no video there. 

42 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Slots 2 and 4 for the ram, not 1 and 3. 

But if it get's to boot that should mean it's posting, it's just not displaying. You have a KF CPU, the F means no integrated graphics. So you will not be able to display with a GPU removed. 

I would test the GPU in a known working system or a known working GPU in this system. Sounds to me like a faulty GPU. If it is a recent purchase and was a used card, that wasn't tested prior, I would think so even more. 

Yeah I was aware of the F model so I bought a refurbished 1080ti from Amazon for that reason but I'm starting think it's the gpu that's giving me issues, at this point I'm considering going for an arc gpu

2 minutes ago, ImTehCookie said:

Yeah I was aware of the F model so I bought a refurbished 1080ti from Amazon for that reason but I'm starting think it's the gpu that's giving me issues, at this point I'm considering going for an arc gpu

You can get used 30 series cards on Ebay for pretty decent prices. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You can get used 30 series cards on Ebay for pretty decent prices. 

Yeah I was considering that as well, going to look over my options one more time, I mainly wanted the 1080ti because the founders edition design is just so appealing to me for this generation and I don't need a gpu that's all that powerful as this pc will mainly be used for homelab/servers

19 hours ago, ImTehCookie said:

USB drive is Fat32 

I did try with a known good ssd of win 11 and the boot LED turned off and it seems like it booted fully but I had no indication as I still had no video so I'm starting to suspect gpu? Going to try in my current working system to see if I get no video there. 

Are you are able to see the MSi BIOS logo and get into the BIOS?
If you can, then the GPU *may* be fine, but once it starts to load into Windows, the Graphics / Chipset / Audio / LAN drivers starts to kick in.

Where did that install of Windows 11 come from?

If it has drivers for a completely different system, it will cause some start-up issues.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 hours ago, -rascal- said:

If you can, then the GPU *may* be fine, but once it starts to load into Windows, the Graphics / Chipset / Audio / LAN drivers starts to kick in.

If it has drivers for a completely different system, it will cause some start-up issues.

Nah, unfortunately it's pitch black from the second I press the power button, ordered a new gpu, that gets here tomorrow, going to swap it in and test it out. 

The windows install I used ms USB creation tool thingy for win 11,so it'd be a fresh install of everything. 

I'll give an update tomorrow once the gpu arrives. 

On 3/12/2024 at 3:48 PM, -rascal- said:

Turns out the issue was just the age of the GPU? I have no clue if I'm honest. I figured a 1080ti would supported with no issue, I went through three of them, one used, one refurbished, and one that was still sealed and in box. None of them worked. 

Got a 3060 and that booted up without an issue. Once I got into windows, I installed drivers for everything, made sure motherboard bios was up to date and all. Plugged in 1080ti again, the brand new one, and again nothing, it wouldn't even post. 

Not sure where the issue is or why it even causes and issue but I'm very disappointed if I'm honest, was really looking forward to keep the 1080ti in the system.

3 hours ago, ImTehCookie said:

Turns out the issue was just the age of the GPU? I have no clue if I'm honest. I figured a 1080ti would supported with no issue, I went through three of them, one used, one refurbished, and one that was still sealed and in box. None of them worked. 

Got a 3060 and that booted up without an issue. Once I got into windows, I installed drivers for everything, made sure motherboard bios was up to date and all. Plugged in 1080ti again, the brand new one, and again nothing, it wouldn't even post. 

Not sure where the issue is or why it even causes and issue but I'm very disappointed if I'm honest, was really looking forward to keep the 1080ti in the system.

unless all 1080ti's where DOA it makes no sense... they are PCIE3.0 and should be fully supported. 

19 hours ago, Robchil said:

unless all 1080ti's where DOA it makes no sense... they are PCIE3.0 and should be fully supported. 

All three had fans that spun, lights turned on, I can't for the life of me figure out why non of them were working, I tried so many things to get them to do so but nuthin 😕