Second Hand Dell Precision T3620 MT For NAS Project

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

It might be a little lacking in drive bays, but that processor is plenty for a home server. It's basically an i7 7700 that supports ECC RAM (but not registered/buffered ECC.)

Hi guys !

Since I don't know much about NAS and second hand parts, I just wanted to know if a second hand Dell Precision T3620 MT will be a good pick to make a DIY NAS at home ?

Here are the specs I am aware of:

• Intel Xeon E3-1270V6
  • 32Go RAM (DDR?)
  • 512Go SSD (I think it's NVME)
  • Nvidia Quadro P400 2Go
  • Price: 250€

The goal of the NAS would be only file synchronization between my computers and possibly to be used as a cloud to access my files from anywhere. It will not be used as a backup solution.

I'm planning to install TrueNAS Scale on it with 2x4tb drives and hopefully I'll able to use part of the SSD as a cache for frequently used files.

Thank you in advance for your help !

Cheers

1 minute ago, nbstackpie said:

Hi guys !

Since I don't know much about NAS and second hand parts, I just wanted to know if a second hand Dell Precision T3620 MT will be a good pick to make a DIY NAS at home ?

Here are the specs I am aware of:

• Intel Xeon E3-1270V6
  • 32Go RAM (DDR?)
  • 512Go SSD (I think it's NVME)
  • Nvidia Quadro P400 2Go
  • Price: 250€

The goal of the NAS would be only file synchronization between my computers and possibly to be used as a cloud to access my files from anywhere. It will not be used as a backup solution.

I'm planning to install TrueNAS Scale on it with 2x4tb drives and hopefully I'll able to use part of the SSD as a cache for frequently used files.

Thank you in advance for your help !

Cheers

Does it have more drive bays if you want to add more drivers later on? 

I'd probably get bigger drives as I find 4TB fills up fast, but really depends on your use. 

Otherwise seems fine here.

It might be a little lacking in drive bays, but that processor is plenty for a home server. It's basically an i7 7700 that supports ECC RAM (but not registered/buffered ECC.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does it have more drive bays if you want to add more drivers later on? 

I'd probably get bigger drives as I find 4TB fills up fast, but really depends on your use. 

Otherwise seems fine here.

Thanks for you answer. From what I found on internet, there is only two 3.5" slots in the case. However there is two 5.25" bays that could be converted into three 3.5" bays. I just need to check the number of sata ports on the MB.

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Thanks for the answer, that's good to know! At the moment I don't need more than 2Tb of storage so two drive bays should be alright 😄