Would this work to activate Windows?

kb5zue
Go to solution Solved by OhYou_,

if it doesnt work you can definitely install windows 10 and license it with your code, then run the update to 11

tbh before spending 200, I would just revert from backup to your old os.
There was no real reason to reinstall the os for the upgrade. you can move drive between very different pcs and it just werks, even amd to intel and back

Hello All, 

Just upgraded my pc from an Amd Ryzen 7 3800x to an Amd Ryzen 75800x3d and as far as the pc goes, everything works fine but I did a fresh, clean install of Win11 and of course it wants to activate Windows all over again.  I went thru the process of trying to activate Windows but it doesn't work and of course Microsoft wants me to lay out another $200 to actvate Windows 11 all over again.  Since I don't have a paid activation code for Windows 11 as it was an upgrade from Win 10, I am very reluctant to pay for it as I believe that Microsoft has enough money in their pockets as it is.  So, I have an idea but not sure if it would work so here goes.

I do have a paid activation code for Win 10 so I'm wondering if I can get rid of the current install of Win11 and do a complete, fresh, install of Win 10 and then activate the Win 10 install, and then do an "upgrade" from the Win 10 to Win 11.  That way I could bypass having to pay for the Win 11 activation.  So, what do you guys think?  Can I do a fresh install of Win 10 and then "upgrade" to Win 11 bypassing the Win 11 activation because I do have a paid Win10 activation code?

Appreciate your taking the time reading my post.  Many thanks for any/and/or/all responses.

Take care and good luck.

Windows 10 codes work to activate Windows 11, just do a fresh install of 11 and use the 10 code you have laying around. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Windows 10 codes work to activate Windows 11, just do a fresh install of 11 and use the 10 code you have laying around. 

I have Win 11 already installed.  Did that last week but when I tried to put in the Win 10 code it would not work.  Of course when I tried that, the Win 11 install was already a week old.  I will go ahead and do a fresh install of Win 11 tomorrow morning and try the Win 10 code during that fresh install.  Thanks for the idea, I will let you know how it goes.

Take care and good luck.

if it doesnt work you can definitely install windows 10 and license it with your code, then run the update to 11

There was no real reason to reinstall the os for the upgrade. you can move drive between very different pcs and it just werks, even amd to intel and back

44 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

if it doesnt work you can definitely install windows 10 and license it with your code, then run the update to 11.

That's my plan for first thing in the morning.  I'm in California (unfortunately) and it is currently a quarter past 10 pm.

Take care.

also if it fails again 10 or 11 try calling them with your code in hand. im not sure this service is still up, but i don't see why it wouldn't. 

at least win 10 should show the correct number for activation over phone.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Posted (edited)

I seem to remember there being some troubleshooting steps available for when the activation code doesn't work. Do the steps.

Your code is for one machine. You should have deactivated it before reactivating it. Now Microsoft thinks you use it for 2 systems (or more).

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

5 hours ago, leclod said:

I seem to remember there being some troubleshooting steps available for when the activation code doesn't work. Do the steps.

Your code is for one machine. You should have deactivated it before reactivating it. Now Microsoft thinks you use it for 2 systems (or more).

I assume the OP changed the MoBo along with the new CPU (I'm on Intel so I don't know all the ins and outs of AMD).  If that is the case, the Windows key is llinked to the old MoBo and you might have an issue even installing Win10.  If you did not link your product key to a Microsoft account, your only option may be to use the support phone/chat and get assistance directly from Microsoft. I had a glitch like this about 10 years ago and it was resolved in about five minutes via online chat.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

Thanks for the help.  Couldn't sleep last night after all so I ended up doing a complete, fresh install of Win 10 putting in my code and then doing a complete Win 11 update.  Everything turned out okay.  Just lost a nights sleep in the process.

Thanks again, take care and good luck.