Should I do a BIOS update on my Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, minato said:

probably not to be honest so I have to enable DOCP and that's it?

Yeah, to enable XMP you need to enable DOCP. In the AI Tweaker tab, you want to set the AI Overclock Tuner to DOCP, then select the XMP profile. 

8 minutes ago, minato said:

If I add some 16GB to it now would I even see any improvements at all, gaming / video editing wise?

Depends on if you're running out of RAM or not. 16GB is still usable nowadays, though it's somewhat easy to run out of RAM if you're heavy into multitasking. If you are running out of RAM, do an upgrade, otherwise I'd just put that money towards the eventual full system upgrade instead. 

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking of adding some more ram to my PC and was curious if I should update the BIOS as well since I never did the update on it and my rig was made in December 2018.

I don't even have the option to turn XMP on so would that be available with a newer version of the BIOS by any chance?

I've got a 1800x as the CPU and currently 16GB of Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 but I never managed to hit those 3200MhHz while having a stable system.

How much out of the loop am I?

Every answer will be much appreciated!!

I don't even have the option to turn XMP on

Every BIOS revision of that board should have support for this, are you sure you're looking in the right place? ASUS puts it in weird spots, and on AMD boards they call it DOCP instead of XMP. 

A BIOS update might help as they did improve the memory compatibility a bit overtime, though not all chips can do 3200MT/s still even on the most recent BIOSes, so if you're unlucky you might still be stuck with 2933 or similar. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

are you sure you're looking in the right place?

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

if you're unlucky you might still be stuck with 2933

that could be very possible since I've never managed to get it over that without crashing..

If I add some 16GB to it now would I even see any improvements at all, gaming / video editing wise?

Yeah, to enable XMP you need to enable DOCP. In the AI Tweaker tab, you want to set the AI Overclock Tuner to DOCP, then select the XMP profile. 

8 minutes ago, minato said:

Depends on if you're running out of RAM or not. 16GB is still usable nowadays, though it's somewhat easy to run out of RAM if you're heavy into multitasking. If you are running out of RAM, do an upgrade, otherwise I'd just put that money towards the eventual full system upgrade instead. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

thank you for your help and great infos!