Do games run better on 6 core 7600x than a 10 core i5 13400? becasue games are optimized for lower cores

Go to solution Solved by Blue4130,
1 hour ago, 220VoltsallCore said:

Do games run better on 6 core 7600x than a 10 core i5 13400? becasue games are optimized for lower cores 

Games are not optimized for fewer cores. They are optimized for a set number of cores. If you have more than that number, the extra cores will be used by other background processes if needed. If they are not needed, they will sit idle without affecting the gameplay.

13400 is not a traditional 10 core. Its basically 6 core+ 4 slow cores that wont be utilized by most games.

So what you should be asking are the 6 cores of the 13400 faster or slower then the 7600x 6 cores (Not really they should perform roughly the same).

Games are not Optimized for lower cores persay, its moreso that  its a usage and utilization thing. It varies Game dev to game dev, some use 2-4 cores, some use 4-6, some use as many as you can throw at them.  There is no one method to the game devs.

Most games benefit from more cache (hence why the 7800x3D is so strong), the speed of the cores, and the IPC (instructions per clock) with a few other factors.

Games are not explicitly optimized for fewer cores. But for the most part they are not coded to take advantage of more than a certain number of cores.

In most cases per-core speed is more important than core count.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

It depends on  the game you are talking about. Heck in most cases it is GPU bound any way. But comparing CPU core counts between different architectures is much like comparing gigahertz between different architectures(and that before factoring in P and E cores). You are better off just cutting straight to the benchmarks to see what is better for your needs.

Becasue games are optimized for lower cores 

AMD and Intel cores are no longer the same. If we do compare the cores that are at least similar from the same processors, AMD has them perform better so performance in games will be better.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

As you can see in this review 7600X is about 10% faster across the board in games compared to 13400F when using a 4090 in 1440p and 12% at 1080p, so not that much. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/20.html

If you want Intel you might want to check out i5 14500 instead

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Games are not optimized for fewer cores. They are optimized for a set number of cores. If you have more than that number, the extra cores will be used by other background processes if needed. If they are not needed, they will sit idle without affecting the gameplay.