Ebay gets hacked

screen lad

Since ebay havent directly talked to their members about their recent hacking situation, where a bunch of user information was taken.Think most people should have a read, there are a few articles out there about the case. Here is a Sky news article on what happened.

What do you guys think? Is it okay since it wasn't bank details or you annoyed anyway since your personal information could of been leaked ? 

Next up: PSN HACKED

At 10PM tonight: CSI MIAMI

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I think you're safe unless ebay wasn't able to secure their encryption keys. If they weren't, ebay may need to file for bankruptcy some time in the near future.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I think you're safe unless ebay wasn't able to secure their encryption keys. If they weren't, ebay may need to file for bankruptcy some time in the near future.

Passwords don't get encrypted, they get hashed, there is no way to undo a hash, other than to brute force.

I can't stand eBay, the crap they have put me through in the past... They have really screwed over personal sellers in recent years in favor of the massive sellers of mass produced cheap crap. Honestly most of the cheap odds and ends I can find from 3rd party Amazon sellers now.

I hope they get a massive fine.

Ebay seems shit nowadays anyway, can never find a good deal for anything if i'm honest, everyone seems to price stuff weirdly.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I can't stand eBay, the crap they have put me through in the past... They have really screwed over personal sellers in recent years in favor of the massive sellers of mass produced cheap crap. Honestly most of the cheap odds and ends I can find from 3rd party Amazon sellers now.

I hope they get a massive fine.

What law did they break that would result in a fine?

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Didn't they get like personal information from the users?

I'm glad i stopped using eBay a long time ago!

Didn't they get like personal information from the users?

Yes, because they were forcibly hacked. So, again, I ask, what law was broken???? A company being forcibly hacked is not a crime on the part of the company and they can not be fined for it. Being sued civilly is completely different and separate from criminal charges. People can sue, Ebay may be ordered to pay them, but that is a civil judgement, not a fine. People incorrectly call it a fine, but a fine can only be imposed due to a criminal charge.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

Yes, because they were forcibly hacked. So, again, I ask, what law was broken???? A company being forcibly hacked is not a crime on the part of the company and they can not be fined for it. Being sued civilly is completely different and separate from criminal charges. People can sue, Ebay may be ordered to pay them, but that is a civil judgement, not a fine. People incorrectly call it a fine, but a fine can only be imposed due to a criminal charge.

Putting people's information at risk, I believe. Even when hacked

If data was stolen and they didnt do enough to protect it in uk Data Protection Act

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Putting people's information at risk, I believe. Even when hacked

You information is always at risk of being hacked. No system is ever 100% secure. You still have not quoted what law the broke or how they broke it. And you never will because no law was broken by Ebay. It's actually pathetic that people will be allowed to sue them. They had protections in place, but they can not and should not be held 100% liable for the data people willingly choose to give them. Consumers need to start accepting some of the risk.

If data was stolen and they didnt do enough to protect it in uk Data Protection Act

They would have to prove intentional negligence on the part of Ebay. The information was secure and encrypted, but someone was able to forcibly bypass that protection. If the information wasn't protected, it would have been stolen a million times over by now. No law has been broken. Like I've pointed out, it's impossible for any system to ever be 100% secure.

Read the article please, Playstation got fined in the UK for exactly the same thing.

They would have to prove intentional negligence on the part of Ebay. The information was secure and encrypted, but someone was able to forcibly bypass that protection. If the information wasn't protected, it would have been stolen a million times over by now. No law has been broken. Like I've pointed out, it's impossible for any system to ever be 100% secure.

Only because Sony was found to be negligent. 

so what i said then.  we dont know what steps were taken to protect the data and hashing isnt fool proof all the time. several methods have vurabilities and it depends if ebay was using the right methods. its one thing to hack the DB but another to get anything from the info they get and just because the security is good at the sever level dosnt mean it is at the database level.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Only because Sony was found to be negligent. 

Yeah and all I was saying was that I hope they do get fined, because besides this incident I consider them a pretty negligent company.

Clearly their security was sub par, whether or not it was to the point of carelessness I don't know, my guess is that it was though.

I take it you work for eBay or something?