is my amd athlon a bottleneck?

Yea, hold off on the GPU, you can upgrade everything else, and then when the Asus DCUII 880 comes out, then you can upgrade and get the most for your money.  That will be a really nice present to yourself and you deserve it after helping your parents out.

Here is what that build minus HDD, RAM, PSU and GPU would look like:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Qo6w

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Qo6w/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Qo6w/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Newegg) <-- You want the new i5-4690k, should be around $250 or less when it comes out.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.94 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($79.99 @ Micro Center)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $529.90

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-24 23:27 EDT-0400)

You could go with a more expensive CPU cooler if you want, but overclocking is kind of a toss up, often referred to as the silicon lottery.  The new Devil's Canyon CPUs are supposed to overclock much better than Haswell.  Haswell is a bit of a toss-up when it comes to overclocking, you never know if you will get a good, bad, or somewhere in between chip.  Wait until some reviews come out for the i5-4690k before investing $100 in a cooler.

@ Faceman thank you man for the help, since i have never overclocked before ill probably what a while and do some research. Ive watched a couple youtube videos on how to do it already but i am just one of thise people it kinda scares to overclock. So ill probably wait for a while.

of course it's bottlenecking GTX 660!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Depending on what motherboard you have, it would be cheaper for you to just get an 8320/8350 and put it in your existing motherboard, and and then get a nice GPU and a decent case and the h100i and overclock it. It's cheaper (or about the same but for a water cooler as well, and some extra money on the GPU and/or case). You'll probably see close to the same performance in most games, though perhaps a little less in things like Dayz or Arma. However, it would be more economical and should last you until broadwell or something past it comes out.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Depending on what motherboard you have, it would be cheaper for you to just get an 8320/8350 and put it in your existing motherboard, and and then get a nice GPU and a decent case and the h100i and overclock it. It's cheaper (or about the same but for a water cooler as well, and some extra money on the GPU and/or case). You'll probably see close to the same performance in most games, though perhaps a little less in things like Dayz or Arma. However, it would be more economical and should last you until broadwell or something past it comes out.

750k uses FM2 motherboard, so he can't upgrade to FX.  Also, for games like Dayz, he needs the stronger cores of Intel to give him the performance he wants.

of course it's bottlenecking GTX 660!

The 750k is not a bottleneck to a 660.

Bottlenecks Explained.  The 750k and 660 is a very balanced system, a bottleneck is when one component is vastly superior to another and the other most slow down.  He is not experiencing a bottleneck in DayZ, just a poorly optimized game running on an AMD CPU.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@ Faceman thank you man for the help, since i have never overclocked before ill probably what a while and do some research. Ive watched a couple youtube videos on how to do it already but i am just one of thise people it kinda scares to overclock. So ill probably wait for a while.

I was also pretty new at overclocking not long ago, it doesn't take long to teach yourself, and the automatic overclocking software has become very good recently, particularly with Asus motherboards.  When the time comes, I would be happy to help you through it and point you in the right direction of some overclocking guides.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

750k uses FM2 motherboard, so he can't upgrade to FX.  Also, for games like Dayz, he needs the stronger cores of Intel to give him the performance he wants.

The 750k is not a bottleneck to a 660.

The 750k and 660 is a very balanced system, a bottleneck is when one component is vastly superior to another and the other most slow down.  He is not experiencing a bottleneck in DayZ, just a poorly optimized game running on an AMD CPU.

Duh. I don't know why I missed that.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

• 5 weeks later...

@ faceman just doin a follow up, so i got the i5 and im so happy with it wish i would have bought it sooner. Thanks for the help man.