Linus Help please! MSI Screwed me!

Weirdman24

First and foremost, love your content! I've been watching all of your videos for atleast 8 years now, probably longer.

TL;DR, MSI hoped and prayed that their defective line of monitors would outlast their 2 year warranty. I've had 3 of the same monitor now from MSI and they are all dead within 2 years 3 months of purchasing. MSI Support basically told me im SOL and noone from MSI has bothered to respond on their official reddit at all.

Full Details Here:

I'd love any help I could get getting MSI to honor their warranty on this defective monitor.

Thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, Weirdman24 said:

First and foremost, love your content! I've been watching all of your videos for atleast 8 years now, probably longer.

TL;DR, MSI hoped and prayed that their defective line of monitors would outlast their 2 year warranty. I've had 3 of the same monitor now from MSI and they are all dead within 2 years 3 months of purchasing. MSI Support basically told me im SOL and noone from MSI has bothered to respond on their official reddit at all.

Full Details Here:

I'd love any help I could get getting MSI to honor their warranty on this defective monitor.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure what would you want Linus do about a monitor which warranty claim rejected because it's no longer in warranty period.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 minutes ago, Weirdman24 said:

2 year warranty.

4 minutes ago, Weirdman24 said:

within 2 years 3 months of purchasing

they are honoring their warranty - it took longer than 2 years for it to die, that's the warranty they gave, that's the warranty you got.

Bad luck. If one of them failed differently from the others you could probably harvest parts and fix what's broke, but otherwise you're pretty stuck just taking it as a learning experience and buying something else in the future

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

28 minutes ago, Weirdman24 said:

Full Details Here:

Thanks in advance!

Linus himself doesn't actually run this Forum.  You have no warranty case if the monitors failed outside of the 2 year warranty window.

Since you have had 3 of these monitors fail after just 2 years and 3 months... Maaaybe look at a different monitor ?
Mine is still going strong since 2016.

3 hours ago, Hinjima said:

Linus himself doesn't actually run this Forum.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 114030.png

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

9 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Screenshot 2024-02-26 114030.png

And?  He is the owner of the Forum but he is rarely if ever on here in terms of discussions and helping and he is not the one actually running it.

I dont quite understand why you linked that.

49 minutes ago, Weirdman24 said:

MSI hoped and prayed that their defective line of monitors would outlast their 2 year warranty. I've had 3 of the same monitor now from MSI and they are all dead within 2 years 3 months of purchasing.

Sounds like you've reached the end of the warranty and should make a choice on what you're gonna buy to replace them based on this experience.

3 hours ago, Hinjima said:

And?  He is the owner of the Forum but he is rarely if ever on here in terms of discussions and helping and he is not the one actually running it.

I dont quite understand why you linked that.

The fact of whether he participates in a ton of discussions or not doesn't change the fact of whether or not he runs it. Just because he isn't always moderating doesn't mean he doesn't run it.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

16 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

The fact of whether he participates in a ton of discussions or not doesn't change the fact of whether or not he runs it. Just because he isn't always moderating doesn't mean he doesn't run it.

He owns it. He has employees that moderate and run it.

17 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

He owns it. He has employees that moderate and run it.

No, he has employees that help maintain the forum. He does plenty of moderation and forum work himself.

No one person other than him would run his forum.

Look I get the "warranty ran out, they honored the warranty" argument but if you honestly think that having 3 of the same monitors and 2 of them dying inside the warranty and the 3rd dying just outside the window is acceptable and I should just be out of luck then I don't know what to tell you.

1 is unlucky, 2 is a coincidence, 3 is a pattern.

It's obvious (from my perspective) that there is a fundamental issue with this line of monitor given that I alone have had 3 fail.

By your logic then, car manufacturers shouldn't issue recalls on defects as a result of poor design or manufacturing errors. Then by your own argument you are ok with them saying oh sorry you had a 5 year warranty on your car but this problem that we created (design or poor manufacturing) is now your fault and it's going to cost you $X.xx dollars to fix because it didn't break or wasn't know about until 5 years and 1 month after you purchased it?

That's absurd.

Just because it ONLY has a 2 year warranty, doesn't mean it should ONLY last for 2 years.

20 minutes ago, Weirdman24 said:

Look I get the "warranty ran out, they honored the warranty" argument

No, you don't. A warranty is meant to tell you how long to expect the device to work at that price for the company to have made money on their product. It breaking outside of the warranty period is literally part of the deal when you bought it. You, and you personally, have arbitrarily decided that it means something else and you, again personally, decided that it should outlast it's warranty at the cost you paid for it.

22 minutes ago, Weirdman24 said:

That's absurd.

Just because it ONLY has a 2 year warranty, doesn't mean it should ONLY last for 2 years.

A company is not going to make a warranty that loses them money, if they only expect it to last roughly 2 years, then you should too.

I'm sorry, but your argument makes no sense and you have nothing to stand on other than your emotions about it all. Good luck searching for something new

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

24 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

No, you don't. A warranty is meant to tell you how long to expect the device to work at that price for the company to have made money on their product. It breaking outside of the warranty period is literally part of the deal when you bought it. You, and you personally, have arbitrarily decided that it means something else and you, again personally, decided that it should outlast it's warranty at the cost you paid for it.

A company is not going to make a warranty that loses them money, if they only expect it to last roughly 2 years, then you should too.

I'm sorry, but your argument makes no sense and you have nothing to stand on other than your emotions about it all. Good luck searching for something new

Absolutely absurd argument, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion I suppose. Good luck.

1 hour ago, GoStormPlays said:

No one person other than him would run his forum.

so the admins are just placeholders? Colonel Mortis and the Like? they've done a lot of running on this forum, even making the community standards

1 hour ago, Weirdman24 said:

you're not wrong but that depends on many factors

environment 

how long you use it for a day

date you bought it (there may have been problems with it that were fixed in later revisions e.g. the many revisions of the Arctic LF2 series)

He does plenty of moderation

moderation such as removing posts which don't comply with guidelines? no. He won't have the time, and most likely doesn't have the time. That's why there's moderators

forum work

such as?

@Weirdman24 when you say defective, what do you mean by that exactly?

Edited by filpo

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 hour ago, Weirdman24 said:

Warranty is calculatable, I know this as I work in one of the major brand manufacturing and after enter I just know got such department and their job is calculating warranty.

Means if the warranty is 2 years, they could calculate slightly more than 2 years before it dead. Yes 2 years warranty can means last for 2 years only. As long they not spoilt before end of warranty, they no need to do anything about it.

I can only said MSI is calculate the life time too closed to the warranty period, this is not a good image to the company, normally will extend at least a year or two more than the warranty period to cover up for consumer that buy extended warranty. They allow you to buy extended means normally it won’t spoilt within the extended period as well.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

Unfortunately warranty is warranty, like it or not. 

If you've had three MSI monitors die right after warranty period, perhaps you should consider a different brand and that's the beginning and end of it. 

Personally, I've had an MSI for over 5 years with no problems.

5 hours ago, filpo said:

so the admins are just placeholders? Colonel Mortis and the Like? they've done a lot of running on this forum, even making the community standards

There is one admin. And the admin doesn't make most of the creative decisions from what I gather (at least, alone). The Admin in question is a dev, not necessarily running the site. 

5 hours ago, filpo said:

even making the community standards

Do you think that those were made without heavy collab from Linus?

5 hours ago, filpo said:

moderation such as removing posts which don't comply with guidelines? no. He won't have the time, and most likely doesn't have the time. That's why there's moderators

He doesn't do nearly as much moderation as he used to, but he has before. There are mods that handle most of that now, though.

5 hours ago, filpo said:

such as?

Creative decisions regarding how the site is run mainly.

I'm not saying he is the only one who ever contributes to the forum, but LMG owns it and most of the big decisions regarding the forum come from him.

This "what is Linus's role on the forum?" discussion is irrelevant. The thing OP needs to understand is that Linus doesn't respond to random individuals' requests for help on these forums, and he also isn't an attack dog that people can sic on any tech company they have a beef with. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

@GoStormPlays & @Hinjima take it to Moderators on the forum thread. It's not relevant here. 

7 hours ago, Weirdman24 said:

By your logic then, car manufacturers shouldn't issue recalls on defects as a result of poor design or manufacturing errors.

Recalls are done for safety issues, where the defect poses a risk to human life. Several people died from faulty Takata airbags before they recalled them. They don't recall a car because the engine blows a head gasket after 200,000 miles and you think you should have got at least 300,000 miles out of it.

If the fault with your monitor posed a serious risk to safety such as a risk of fire then I'm sure they would issue a safety recall. 

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with everyone else here. The warranty period expired. MSI no longer has any obligation to provide a replacement, repair, or refund if it breaks after the warranty expires. The only exception to that might be if you're in a country that has very good consumer protections that state a mandatory warranty period that is higher than what the manufacturer offers, though the 2 years MSI offers probably already meets or exceeds any mandatory warranty period for displays.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

19 hours ago, Weirdman24 said:

Look I get the "warranty ran out, they honored the warranty" argument but if you honestly think that having 3 of the same monitors and 2 of them dying inside the warranty and the 3rd dying just outside the window is acceptable and I should just be out of luck then I don't know what to tell you.

1 is unlucky, 2 is a coincidence, 3 is a pattern.

It's obvious (from my perspective) that there is a fundamental issue with this line of monitor given that I alone have had 3 fail.

At this point, you have to decide whether you want to support such a company or invest in other brands with a better reputation for support or quality. If I had this experience, I probably wouldn't buy another MSI monitor for a long time. That still doesn't give you the right to a replacement, refund, etc. If you're not happy about that you can't do anything legally and with big companies you won't achieve anything by trying to go a moral route. You can only vote with your wallet as a consumer.

By your logic then, car manufacturers shouldn't issue recalls on defects as a result of poor design or manufacturing errors. Then by your own argument you are ok with them saying oh sorry you had a 5 year warranty on your car but this problem that we created (design or poor manufacturing) is now your fault and it's going to cost you $X.xx dollars to fix because it didn't break or wasn't know about until 5 years and 1 month after you purchased it?

That's absurd.

Cars are an entirely different thing because of personal safety reasons for example. But still, most car manufacturers won't fix newfound issues on older cars once they're out of production.

Except that is exactly what it legally means. The warranty they offer guarantees the product will work for 2 years. Everything on top is a bonus. I agree in general that electronics are mostly running way beyond their warranty period. But after it runs out you have no legal grounds to stand on when it comes to support or replacement. At the end of the day you agreed to that warranty period when you bought the product.

TL;DR: You have no legal grounds to stand on. Yes it sucks but all you can do is learn from it and base future purchase decisions off that.

The forum mostly operates independent of LMG and their staff mostly just checks a few threads regularly like LMG Sponsor Discussion - Linus Tech Tips

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.