750 watts or 1000 watts?

st_ef
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

750W is plenty for that build. The 7800X3D doesn't draw that much power - it's about 90W for an all-core load like Blender. Then the 7800XT draws around 250W at stock, maybe 300W for an OC model like the Nitro+.

Let's then be ultra conservative and assume that your peak power draw from both the CPU and GPU combined is 450W.

That leaves 300W for everything else in your system in a worst case scenario. Unless you've got a bunch of Delta fans and you're using incandescent lighting rather than RGB LEDs, I can't possibly see how a 750W PSU won't be sufficient.

the parts for my new build are: 
ryzen 7 7800x3d 
deepcool ak500 zero dark
32gb corstair vengeance 6000mhz ddr5 cl30
gigabyte b650 gaming x ax (rev 1.x)
samsung 980 pro 1TB
rx 7800 xt sapphire nitro+ 

and the PSU im getting to power this whole system is be quiet straight power 11 750W 80+ gold, now i was in a pc shop trying to see what pc cases i can find for this whole build and the guy told me that I should've gotten 1000 watts or more, is 750 watts enough for this whole build or should i have went with 1000+ watts? also the type of pc case i will be getting is probably with 4 fans ARGB (3 front for intake and 1 behind for outtake) and im just saying this to include the ARGB fans in the wattage too, but from my research and time i spent on this build i think 750 watts is enough but please let me know (also in general i wanna know if this is a good build so i dont screw anything up with this system and have to replace parts and spend even more money especially if wattage is not enough)

750W is plenty for that build. The 7800X3D doesn't draw that much power - it's about 90W for an all-core load like Blender. Then the 7800XT draws around 250W at stock, maybe 300W for an OC model like the Nitro+.

Let's then be ultra conservative and assume that your peak power draw from both the CPU and GPU combined is 450W.

That leaves 300W for everything else in your system in a worst case scenario. Unless you've got a bunch of Delta fans and you're using incandescent lighting rather than RGB LEDs, I can't possibly see how a 750W PSU won't be sufficient.

750 should bee good enough for this build. Unless you are extremely overclocking both your gpu and cpu, you should be fine.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

So i assume the guy in the pc shop was talking full bull crap on this? he was speaking things like ''your 750 watt psu will stop working after gaming on ultra settings'' but i think the best thing to do is benchmark the whole build first? and then test some games too? also the only thing id ''overclock'' is the RAM aka xmp it to be 6000 mhz

Just now, st_ef said:

'your 750 watt psu will stop working after gaming on ultra settings''

if you had a 3090 Overclocked then maybe but not with this system. I say 500W max

1 minute ago, st_ef said:

also the only thing id ''overclock'' is the RAM aka xmp it to be 6000 mhz

won't affect wattage

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Just now, filpo said:

if you had a 3090 Overclocked then maybe but not with this system. I say 500W max

ah got it, so i guess the guy was just trying to get extra money by just not selling me a pc case but trying to get me to get a 1000 watt power supply platinum rated probably... his reason is because ''the gpu reccomended wattage is 600 watts'' and he tells me theres 150 watts left for everything else which i dont believe him lol but to be safe just for sure i decided to ask on forum. but again a benchmark should be good enough to test if it will work or not i think

5 minutes ago, st_ef said:

So i assume the guy in the pc shop was talking full bull crap on this? he was speaking things like ''your 750 watt psu will stop working after gaming on ultra settings'' but i think the best thing to do is benchmark the whole build first? and then test some games too? also the only thing id ''overclock'' is the RAM aka xmp it to be 6000 mhz

Yeah, he was full of it. Gaming on "ultra settings" is just going to make you 100% GPU bound in that situation, which means that the CPU will draw less power.

TechSpot found in their 7800XT review that, in Hitman 3 at the dreaded "ultra settings" their 7800X3D test system pulled 390W with the 7800XT. And with "ultra settings" in Spiderman Remastered the total system power draw was 388W.

So when actually gaming, you'll be using almost exactly half of the wattage of your PSU, which is exactly what you want to maximize its efficiency. The efficiency of PSUs typically follows a rough bell curve, with max efficiency in the middle. So a 750W unit is basically perfect if your main use case is ultra settings gaming.

4 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Yeah, he was full of it. Gaming on "ultra settings" is just going to make you 100% GPU bound in that situation, which means that the CPU will draw less power.

TechSpot found in their 7800XT review that, in Hitman 3 at the dreaded "ultra settings" their 7800X3D test system pulled 390W with the 7800XT. And with "ultra settings" in Spiderman Remastered the total system power draw was 388W.

So when actually gaming, you'll be using almost exactly half of the wattage of your PSU, which is exactly what you want to maximize its efficiency. The efficiency of PSUs typically follows a rough bell curve, with max efficiency in the middle. So a 750W unit is basically perfect if your main use case is ultra settings gaming.

Alright perfect! thanks again for the help, the guy was really tryna scare me to get a 1000 watt psu and all that.. I spent over 2 months planning this build with countless hours of research and going thru many forums and help with other tech friends i simply cant believe him.  many pc shops (sadly) like to try and get most out of you, whetever they tell you get a higher wattage PSU, a better case thats more expensive or anything similiar.. i will not be buying a pc case from him now because of that (and definitely will never shop there again just because of that business scheme..) 

1 minute ago, st_ef said:

Alright perfect! thanks again for the help, the guy was really tryna scare me to get a 1000 watt psu and all that.. I spent over 2 months planning this build with countless hours of research and going thru many forums and help with other tech friends i simply cant believe him.  many pc shops (sadly) like to try and get most out of you, whetever they tell you get a higher wattage PSU, a better case thats more expensive or anything similiar.. i will not be buying a pc case from him now because of that (and definitely will never shop there again just because of that business scheme..) 

What's unfortunate is that, if he wanted to try to upsell you, he could have done so in a way that was honest. The reason to get a 1000W PSU would be so that you could have headroom to upgrade the GPU in the future. The 7800X3D can certainly handle better GPUs, so if you ever upgraded to a future RTX 5090 or RX 9900 XTX or something, then you may actually need a better PSU depending on the power draw of those future cards.

I still think you made a good purchase - having more for the future is nice, but we also don't know what the future will bring, and there's no guarantee that you won't upgrade to another card in the same tier in the future which draws the same or even less power. But if he wanted to upsell you, that would be an argument that would at least demonstrate actual potential value and not be scummy.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

What's unfortunate is that, if he wanted to try to upsell you, he could have done so in a way that was honest. The reason to get a 1000W PSU would be so that you could have headroom to upgrade the GPU in the future. The 7800X3D can certainly handle better GPUs, so if you ever upgraded to a future RTX 5090 or RX 9900 XTX or something, then you may actually need a better PSU depending on the power draw of those future cards.

I still think you made a good purchase - having more for the future is nice, but we also don't know what the future will bring, and there's no guarantee that you won't upgrade to another card in the same tier in the future which draws the same or even less power. But if he wanted to upsell you, that would be an argument that would at least demonstrate actual potential value and not be scummy.

I don't really plan on upgrading any time soon, the only thing im looking forward to in that build to upgrade in the future is to change my cooler to an AIO (reason i went with ak500 is because of budget reasons but i think it should be enough to cool the 7800x3d for the time being) so 750 watts is enough for me at least, aside from that im really happy with my build only thing left for it is a pc case which i have been struggling for a bit to find (mainly because i want to switch to colors with ARGB lol and a good price..)