WD red nas hdd not showing up in bios

IdrawSHEEP

Hey there,
I have a rather simple question that anyone here could probably answer. instead, all my "knowledge" about computers, systems, and figuring out stuff feels like being thrown out of the window.
long story short - I´m selling my NAS HDD after the upgrade and i need to figure out the power on time.
I´m running MyCloud EX2 with 2 WD RED drives. the SMART data on the WDapp is useless, and isn´t showing anything - the actual count tab isn´t there.

now the long story - where did i wonder so far... first of all is it just me or does nas system work differently? meaning i´m used that a HDD stores data no matter what, just pull it out, put it back in, doesn´t matter it will show something. not my experience with WD REDS after I transferred the data, put them back in, to check on the powers on the count, and there were reading issues, the NAS needed to reformat the drives. Current Drives kept working flawlessly after pulling and putting them back in, but now i´m reallly cautious to play with them, because i have no other backup and 16TB of data i can´t afford to loose.

soooo put it in my pc i guess? easy - power cable check, sata cable check (amd x570) turning on. aaaand. hdd not registering in Windows. me dummy, nas works on Linux - loaded Ubuntu on flash drive starting, checking drives and terminal. no luck everything is empty. booting uefi - nothing registering. My SSDs look fine but no HDD´s. put back into the nas, and they are working.

I´ve installed drivers for the wd drives, as well as all existing WD apps, yet no luck. switched SATA and power cables, also the plugs. HDD is spinning when i boot up.
and now the cherry on top - if my NAS or one of the drives ever fails, how do i recover my data properly? looks like just pluging it to PC won´t do anything.

Hope you can point me in the right direction because youtube and Google give me only the option of plug and play - plug in and it works.

Does your SATA power connector have five wires going to it? 

Newer hard drives have a power disable feature where, if recieving +3.3v, the drive will not spin up. Some NAS systems and servers use this to remotely cycle power to drives; however, this causes problems with almost every other computer on the planet, which constantly provides power to the 3.3v rail. Your PC is just providing power to the drive but the drive thinks the PC is telling it not to turn on.

Two ways you can solve this:

Cut the 5th wire on your SATA power cord close to the notched end of the connector, where the red X is on the diagram. 

OR, tape over the first 3 pins of the sata connector on the hard drive, as indicated by the red scribble, using electrical tape. 

image.png.fe862fc97102fd7ad947a6b3df78a8e9.png

What specific WD Red drives do you have?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 2/16/2024 at 12:07 AM, da na said:

Does your SATA power connector have five wires going to it? 

Newer hard drives have a power disable feature where, if recieving +3.3v, the drive will not spin up. Some NAS systems and servers use this to remotely cycle power to drives; however, this causes problems with almost every other computer on the planet, which constantly provides power to the 3.3v rail. Your PC is just providing power to the drive but the drive thinks the PC is telling it not to turn on.

Two ways you can solve this:

Cut the 5th wire on your SATA power cord close to the notched end of the connector, where the red X is on the diagram. 

OR, tape over the first 3 pins of the sata connector on the hard drive, as indicated by the red scribble, using electrical tape. 

image.png.fe862fc97102fd7ad947a6b3df78a8e9.png

Hey There, Thank you for the reply. taped over the pins with electric tape, sadly with with no luck or any changes.

On 2/16/2024 at 12:27 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

What specific WD Red drives do you have?

WD RED 6TB
WD60EFAX
Drive SATA 6Gb/s NX HA500
NASware3.0

7 hours ago, IdrawSHEEP said:

WD60EFAX

that one should work with normal sata power, as thous are consumer oriented.
What mode do you have this drives. RAID1? 

On 2/15/2024 at 11:57 PM, IdrawSHEEP said:

me dummy, nas works on Linux - loaded Ubuntu on flash drive starting, checking drives and terminal. no luck everything is empty.

hard drive in EXT4, so this should work. 

I would just Write to WD at this point. 

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)