Ryzen 9 7900X VS Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Hey Guys,

So I am looking to upgrade from my i9 9900K and I am going to get one of the Microcenter CPU, Mobo, Ram combos with either the Ryzen 9 7900X or the Ryzen 7 7800X3D. I am looking for the communities thoughts though with what you would recommend for my situation. I will use this PC for Gaming however I am about to go to college this Fall for Comp Sci Software Engineering with a possibility of Cyber Security. With that in mind, which CPU would you recommend for my situation?

Usually when you're studying those topics the computer requirements are pretty low, so the 7800X3D should be more than sufficient, but if you're planning on learning more things that are heavy on the CPU and not gaming so much, it could change the decision.

I don't think it will matter. I'm gaming at 4K and went from a 7900x to a 7800x3D and it didnt make a bit of a difference that I was able to tell. Only did it because it was essentially a free swap + it came with Starfield. 

I don't do anything heavily multicore bound but if I did, I'd want the 7900x back. Outside of that stuff, its made no difference. 

I would recommend getting the Ryzen 7. It should be more than sufficient for your tasks when starting out in college. If, in a few years, you realize you need more CPU horsepower to keep up with your studies - which is not guaranteed - then you can always upgrade later.

The college is likely going to have you use their computers for a lot of things anyway. My university had what they called the "arch lab" that had computers of different architectures to try out software on. You may code on your own computer, but it's unlikely you're going to need to use it for most projects, and the Ryzen 7 7800X3D isn't exactly slow for code compilation or product builds anyway.

59 minutes ago, SJSSkyHigh said:

Hey Guys,

So I am looking to upgrade from my i9 9900K and I am going to get one of the Microcenter CPU, Mobo, Ram combos with either the Ryzen 9 7900X or the Ryzen 7 7800X3D. I am looking for the communities thoughts though with what you would recommend for my situation. I will use this PC for Gaming however I am about to go to college this Fall for Comp Sci Software Engineering with a possibility of Cyber Security. With that in mind, which CPU would you recommend for my situation?

I dont think the extra multicore of the 7900x is worth it for its general lack of gaming performance with its 6+6 CCD layout. Comp Sci and cyber security doesn't require extreme computational power, so a 7800x3D would suffice in that case. 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017