Programming pc; multiple languages and programs

Budget: Under $2000 United States

My dad made the mistake of buying a dell computer that has horrid cooling and I can hear the fans ramping up full; he has only had this desktop for 3-4 years; it has a Xeon chip and Quadro graphics card with 64 gigs of ram and 2 m.2 nvme drives.

He uses the computer for emails, thunderbird, web browsing, watching Netflix, communication through Microsoft teams, chrome and Microsoft edge open with lots of tabs, one note, etc.

He uses visual studio, eclipse, powershell, copilot, esri ArcGIS pro; (spatial data, advanced mapping analytics, 2d 3d and 4d visualizations) IntelliJ idea; JavaScript, typescript, kotlin, react, vue, angular, node.js)

He also programs in bash and C sharp

He has all of these things open at once on a 4k monitor@60hz

He was thinking of an i9-13900 with a score of 48,088 on cpubenchmark.net (passmark) and wants the next pc to be around 50,000 (but it can be lower as long as it can run everything he uses)

I was hoping he would build his next computer but he is thinking of buying a dell alienware laptop :(. I told him it wouldn’t have as good cooling as building a desktop.

So what parts (cpu) amd or intel would be good for his workload, also what gpu (he doesn’t game) but I was thinking like a cheap Radeon card; an all amd build with smart access memory (or intel build) would be good for his workload?

Basically intel or amd with 64 gigs of ram a decent motherboard and would fit in a mAtx/mini itx like this one https://a.co/d/i01WITRIMG_2117.thumb.jpeg.3d09a4d290880625206afe3ad80309f1.jpeg

And if he did buy a laptop what brand/model would be good for his work? (Please link a couple options)

17 minutes ago, eugeneing said:

Xeon chip

Can you give the specific model number for the Xeon?

Also, does he need memory bandwidth? Because if so, this Xeon may be better than any consumer offering, given that it likely has 4~6 channels of memory.

Without any further details, I'd say that a build around a 7950x or 14900 (non-k) with 64 or 96gb (so only 2 sticks) of RAM ought to do it.

I'd also say to skip on the GPU and just use the iGPU, should be more than enough for what you mentioned.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Do you know what kind of software hes actually building?

The languages don't matter really if what they're being used for it menial.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

27 minutes ago, igormp said:

Can you give the specific model number for the Xeon?

Also, does he need memory bandwidth? Because if so, this Xeon may be better than any consumer offering, given that it likely has 4~6 channels of memory.

Without any further details, I'd say that a build around a 7950x or 14900 (non-k) with 64 or 96gb (so only 2 sticks) of RAM ought to do it.

I'd also say to skip on the GPU and just use the iGPU, should be more than enough for what you mentioned.

@igormp His current computer has a Xeon E-2286G, and I was confused by memory bandwidth question; he said he needs the bandwidth; but you are basically saying one of those cpus with 2 sticks of 32gb ram? Also what would be a good laptop that can accomplish what he needs for his suite of stuff he uses? And what would be some good motherboard options?

32 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Do you know what kind of software hes actually building?

The languages don't matter really if what they're being used for it menial.

@SlottrGeographical information systems (maps) and desktop applications and web applications

@igormp

@Slottr

My dad really wants to know some laptops that can run his workload because they are portable and he works from home but goes into his workplace sometimes, where should I start looking? What laptop processor would be good (amd/intel)

17 minutes ago, eugeneing said:

His current computer has a Xeon E-2286G

Ah, nevermind then, that's basically an i7 8700 with some fancier features.

18 minutes ago, eugeneing said:

he said he needs the bandwidth; but you are basically saying one of those cpus with 2 sticks of 32gb ram?

More memory bandwidth would imply an HEDT/WS platform. But if he's doing fine with the current xeon, then dual channel DDR5 found in current mainstream plaforms should do fine (even if you use 4 sticks it's still dual channel, but keeping to 2 sticks allows for higher frequencies).

21 minutes ago, eugeneing said:

Also what would be a good laptop that can accomplish what he needs for his suite of stuff he uses? And what would be some good motherboard options?

Sorry, can't help on that, I dislike those high performing, bulky laptops and just keep notice of thin and light ones 😛 

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

36 minutes ago, igormp said:

Ah, nevermind then, that's basically an i7 8700 with some fancier features.

More memory bandwidth would imply an HEDT/WS platform. But if he's doing fine with the current xeon, then dual channel DDR5 found in current mainstream plaforms should do fine (even if you use 4 sticks it's still dual channel, but keeping to 2 sticks allows for higher frequencies).

Sorry, can't help on that, I dislike those high performing, bulky laptops and just keep notice of thin and light ones 😛 

I helped him find a 13900hx i9 laptop (Dell g16 7630)

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/g-series-16-7630-laptop/usegpbto7630gkyw?tfcid=39138382&&gacd=9684992-1104-5761040-266906002-0&dgc=ST&SA360CID=71700000111444214&&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_vWA1d6UhAMVAWlHAR0GiwMqEAQYASABEgJAJfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

not 2 bulky :)