expanding my laptop's nvme m.2 ssd (external enclosure concern)

Nuh_
Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
5 minutes ago, Nuh_ said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5f50542c5fb1fca4d1bfd0eaff4fbb77.jpeg

So, I finally got the components I need to upgrade my internal SSD, via cloning the SSD using an external enclosure...

The enclosure instructions say that I should put the thermal pad they provided and put the SSD in the case. I don't want to do that if I don't have to because the SSD will end up in my laptop soon.

is there any potential danger running the SSD as is demonstrated in the picture?

potential danger is in the SSD overheating or static shock or something along those lines.

Don't worry it's a Gen3 drive it won't get hot without heatsink

Even with a Gen4 any metal chunk on top will be good enough

Not sure about a Gen5 tho 😮 

So, I finally got the components I need to upgrade my internal SSD, via cloning the SSD using an external enclosure...

The enclosure instructions say that I should put the thermal pad they provided and put the SSD in the case. I don't want to do that if I don't have to because the SSD will end up in my laptop soon.

is there any potential danger running the SSD as is demonstrated in the picture?

potential danger is in the SSD overheating or static shock or something along those lines.

5 minutes ago, Nuh_ said:

Don't worry it's a Gen3 drive it won't get hot without heatsink

Even with a Gen4 any metal chunk on top will be good enough

Not sure about a Gen5 tho 😮 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

I agree with the first comment on all counts, with one small extra consideration:

Even if the drive might run fine, if you want max performance AND if you know that your enclosure isn't bottlenecking the SSD performance, then just know that the risk of reaching temps that cause thermal throttling without bigger risks increases with the pci geneneration, and there is still a low risk that thermal throttle can happen with a cheaper pcie 3 SSD if it uses more power than others.

6 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

I agree with the first comment on all counts, with one small extra consideration:

Even if the drive might run fine, if you want max performance AND if you know that your enclosure isn't bottlenecking the SSD performance, then just know that the risk of reaching temps that cause thermal throttling without bigger risks increases with the pci geneneration, and there is still a low risk that thermal throttle can happen with a cheaper pcie 3 SSD if it uses more power than others.

Didn't specify I just recently did a whole boot disk cloning on a laptop with this exact same SSD on an external enclosure, kept it "open" (didn't put the cover on), and temps weren't above 50C

However speed was limited by USB port to 1GB/Sec on seq R/W, which may explain the coolness, but unless using Thunderbolt it'll be the same with many laptops 🙂 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Didn't specify I just recently did a whole boot disk cloning on a laptop with this exact same SSD on an external enclosure, kept it "open" (didn't put the cover on), and temps weren't above 50C

However speed was limited by USB port to 1GB/Sec on seq R/W, which may explain the coolness, but unless using Thunderbolt it'll be the same with many laptops 🙂 

Having the enclosure open can make the SSD somewhat cooler than if there's other parts covering but not touching the top of your SSD. In my experience: With two identical model SSDs, one in an m.2 slot under my GPU and one lower on my mobo not covered by a GPU, the temp difference can be like 5C.

50-65C is often not at risk of thermal throttling anyways.