I Cant decide how to store my data. What should i do?

So i currently have 32TB of half HDD half SSD In my Desktop. I'm only using like 20% of this, I just upgraded from only 5TB. I also have another 24TB in HDDs As well as my old 4TB HDD that has a lot of hours on it. My first plan was keep the data in my desktop and use 18TB for backups, But in a year I may be fully switching to a laptop which makes this whole plan useless, since I cant put all these drives in a laptop. So now I could either build a little box that holds a Raspberry Pi 4B and make a NAS Server out of it and store my data on there, or I could do the same with a mini Windows PC and make a NAS Server that can run basically any NAS Software, But the biggest problem I'm having is if I did make this setup, How would I be able to access my files over USB? With the laptop I will not always have a set network that I can use this with, so having the ability to plug it into a phone or laptop via USB is important. the other issue is speed limitations, and then of course having duplicates incase any drives failed. So at this point I'm not really sure the best way to set everything up. What should I do?

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

You can just direct network cable

into the box. Remotely with a vpn. Avoid a pi nas they are quite slow.

Id just make a desktop nas and set up a vpn on it

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Can use wifi too

Basic NAS aren't that expensive ($150) and imo a safer and more effective bet than a Pi potato

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

16 hours ago, jaslion said:

16 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Can use wifi too

Basic NAS aren't that expensive ($150) and imo a safer and more effective bet than a Pi potato

Like i said i need the ability to hook up over USB to my Phone or laptop as well, once I fully switch to my laptop I will not be in one place where I always have the same wifi network. i need to be able to plug it into power and use it like a giant USB Drive.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

4 hours ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

Like i said i need the ability to hook up over USB to my Phone or laptop as well, once I fully switch to my laptop I will not be in one place where I always have the same wifi network. i need to be able to plug it into power and use it like a giant USB Drive.

Yes direct network connection to it.

Literally have 2 networknports where one you just plug a  network cable into your iphone or laptop. Theres multiple iphone adapters for this. Its a standard networking featurenas usb does not do peer to peer on some hardware/most os's as usually only mobile os's can act as a host.

HOWEVER!!!! No nas is made for this.  These devices are meant to NOT move around. This kills them quite quickly. These devices are not built for this usecase at all and even going diy its a genuinly terrible idea.

Theres been multiple people that tried making travel nas's and they all failed because the drives rattled to death as 3.5 inch drives simply are not made to handle this.

Unless you go full ssd. GET A STURDY AS FUCK CASE!!!!!!! Theres that johnsbo nas case which is ok and then SECURE EVERYTHING EXTREMELY WELL!!!! Then you can do this somewhat.

May I ask in what way this nas has to travel around and be portable? Like be on a plane, car,... and what the power constraints would be for it.