hydrophobic tubing for water cooling

so... I was checking this video on YouTube and if you watch the video the water gets a pretty good speed when he pours it down the straw because there's almost no resistance in it, so that should mean that if you use that you could get a better flow rate due to the lack of resistance on the tubing and also in theory that could also be a very good solution for permeation and that's always a concern in water-cooling a pc on the long run, can someone correct me if I'm wrong with this or someone has already done before and can share the experience?

on the other side it will be amazing doing a full hydrophobic pc for an ltt video if there's a way to make that happen jajajajaja

what would be the advantage here? no hydrolock?

even if water could mover faster thow the tube its bottle necked by the jet plate anyway...

maybe im missing the point? 🤷‍♂️

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

42 minutes ago, jesmopc said:

so... I was checking this video on YouTube and if you watch the video the water gets a pretty good speed when he pours it down the straw because there's almost no resistance in it, so that should mean that if you use that you could get a better flow rate due to the lack of resistance on the tubing and also in theory that could also be a very good solution for permeation and that's always a concern in water-cooling a pc on the long run, can someone correct me if I'm wrong with this or someone has already done before and can share the experience?

on the other side it will be amazing doing a full hydrophobic pc for an ltt video if there's a way to make that happen jajajajaja

Has absolutely 0 effect on heat and permeation of the liquid. Would do absolutely nothing to prevent it. Plus most hydrophobic materials are not permanent, they only last for so long before they too break down. Would just be an added cost and complexity to the already MASSIVE cost of water cooling for very little benefit.

the impact of the tubes is not worth the cost of hydrophobic materials vs tubing that's so common you caan find it at the hardware store.

5 hours ago, smthclever said:

No pump or reduced pump speed, plus the noise benefits that entails, are some potential benefits. I'd be interested in an LTT video on the subject.

there ways of doing it with out a pump. because hot water rises and expands. i guess posable to evaporate it to steam then re condense it. witch is a way to disapate heat by evaporate it. a big complex system is needed but i guess posable... problem is it uses energy to do it...

the thing atm is ocing is meh for like a 3%-maybe 10-15% increase in performance and at times alot of added heat and power to get it...

people in the day oced becuse it was free proforamce and at times getting like a 50% increase in performance...

so cooling as long as its good enough thats good enough. if you want more preforamce you buy the newer tire or upgrade... if there is a gpu or cpu that oced good they will nerf it its happen before a few times. prices will be adjusted if not nerfed

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

On 1/26/2024 at 9:15 PM, jesmopc said:

You have a pump that is constantly operating when the PC is active, for the most part, flow is not a problem.

People do not typically run the pump a full speed, nor is lack of flow typically an issue.

Permeation is not a concern for custom "open loop" systems.

You have to maintain the loop on regular basis anyway (i.e. once or twice a year), so even if it permeates 5mL, you won't notice it.

Also, with custom loops (vs AiO) you have some kind of coolant reservoir / distro plate.

Tubing, is considered as consumable / wear item.

At least for me, whenever I maintain the water cooling loop, I replace all the tubing with brand-new. Mind you, I use soft-tubing.

If I need to pay 3x+ more for hydrophobic tubing...no thanks.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 hours ago, smthclever said:

Sure, the performance benefits of watercooling are usually overstated, but it looks nice and is quiet, so many of us like it subjectively anyway. Plus, you can reuse the case and much of the cooling system for decades with only minor repairs/maintenance.

Thanks for linking the Derbauer prototype video, really amazing idea, I wonder about its retail cost/production run. If a self-enclosed hydrophobic tubing loop could cause water movement by itself, it would look cleaner and be more cost-effective, so still worth testing OP's idea in an LTT video imo.

i water cool myself because its fun to do. ill have like 6x 560mm rads in my build with 4x d5 pumps... with a delided cpu.

but i dont no how to oc...🤷‍♂️

i dont no custom loop is the fun factor not just about prefromace. aios come prity close to it anyway.

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

You have a pump that is constantly operating when the PC is active, for the most part, flow is not a problem.

People do not typically run the pump a full speed, nor is lack of flow typically an issue.

Permeation is not a concern for custom "open loop" systems.

You have to maintain the loop on regular basis anyway (i.e. once or twice a year), so even if it permeates 5mL, you won't notice it.

Also, with custom loops (vs AiO) you have some kind of coolant reservoir / distro plate.

Tubing, is considered as consumable / wear item.

At least for me, whenever I maintain the water cooling loop, I replace all the tubing with brand-new. Mind you, I use soft-tubing.

If I need to pay 3x+ more for hydrophobic tubing...no thanks.

some custom loops need a top up per week just depends. my dad system with just the cpu with this 3570 he went 2 years with out filling it. i was like wtf but i took a look and the flow was good so... 🤷‍♂️