What makes Linux great for you and what do you think about the future?

On 1/28/2024 at 10:54 PM, CosmicEmotion said:

I mostly agree with your post and this point here is exactly how the world works in general which is the major issue. But I strongly believe that as Linux gets easier to be accessed even the casual users will recognize its immense and numerous advantages and will start using it sooner than one might think. It's already started with the Steam Deck and it's only gonna get better. 馃檪

I truly hope you are correct .. It would be nice to see, but I dont think it will happen https://medium.com/@ieeemuj/linux-on-desktop-is-not-ready-and-may-never-be-by-aneemesh-vidyarthi-4451c217f5fa

Personally, I am one of those users that is coming to the unfortunate conclusion that the windows OS is better than Linux.

I know a lot of people will prob be annoyed by that statement, but the fact of the matter is that things just work in windows and dont "just work" in linux. (Before u take a mass dump on me for using windows - Please read the last paragraph because I also dont like OG MS product anymore either)

Ive been a Linux user for about the last 5/6 years after making the jump when the W7 support ran out, Ive used 4 different distros over that time (Pop/Manj/Mint/Ubuntu) and found that they are all great for the basics .. browsing web/office crap/media .. Gaming has been a different cup of tea for me as only certain kernels work with my GPU+Vulkan(ie AMDGPU) so its been a bit on/off.聽 Anything else has been a pain in the ass tbh .. Plug and play is not a term you can associate with linux unless were talking about a kb+m. 馃槕

Everything is Linux .. Needs to be setup - Everything 馃槙

E.g I use DAW`s & Midi & Sometimes I plug in a mixing controller.聽 5 years ago ... This was practically impossible unless you loads of spare time to read a load of guides which only sometimes got slight results.聽 5 year ago in windows .. You just plug it in .. Install the drivers, load a DAW, set it up n bam, your on your way. Over the years as Pipewire has slowly been introduced .. its works/ it breaks/ it works .. a new kernel comes out .. it breaks n over n over 馃槙聽 Window over the years .. just works!

Its the same with gaming, you say that linux keeps old systems alive, but it dont.聽 My gpu is 11yr old (R9 290) and only once have I ever got it working with AMDGPU due to the lack of driver support in Linux .. Yes it works with the radeon drivers but I cannot play any dx10/11 games with this card unless I revert back to a kernel that supported the drivers (think it was 4.4) but then I wont be able to enjoy any of the current innovations that come with the latest one .. its either/either not both making it a bit pointless. .. Guess what tho ... Windows the great hater of old tech ... That still runs my card no probs 馃檮

Yes linux might run better on your pc & yes linux technically is free & so are a lot of its apps ... But after 5 years of use its the same ol story for me ... Progression is always there, but its constantly breaking things at the same time .. Unless you are a technical whiz-kid or have no life and all the time in the day to read guides that "might" work or attempt fixes that you hope wont break your system ... Personally Id rather wait the extra 20 seconds for windows to load because at least I know 99.5% of the time ... What I aim to do in that current moment .. Im going to be able to actually do.聽

I will still be keeping a partition of mint on my drive tho as I can agree that it is a very fast program, has good security and is handy when I just want to do basic everyday stuff but Im already shifting back to a windows os for everything else cos Id like to actually use some of the products I have bought without having to spend half the day setting it up or fixing issues you didnt anticipate.

I have gone back to a different approach to my issues with OS`s .. Years ago I used Window Black & Winborg (I miss WinBorg馃槶) .. These were essentially hacked & de-bloated versions of WinXP & 7 .. They were great & saved a lot of system resources.聽

Now I am using ReviOs https://www.minitool.com/news/revios-11-download.html聽 聽聽聽聽 Believe me its a lot lot faster than OG windows+ it has a really handy feature that doesnt require you to have a MS account in order to just use it ... Crazy huh 馃檮聽 n to top it off "it just works".

The only thing it doesnt have is a system wide EQ like pulse/easy effect hence the question above 馃槫

I would truly love to see Linux succeed, but I feel to many cooks have spoiled the broth .. ie there is just constant progression & hardly any stability - shame 馃様

An OS can be as good as it wants but if the softwares that run on it is crap, the experience will be crap. Case point, many Linux games on steam crash. I am not talking about windows games ran with proton compatibility layers but actual native games ported over to Linux. They crashed, don't run at all.聽

It kinda speaks volume about how much developers care about linux when their softwares targeted for windows ran better under a compatibility layer than the same softwares they ported over and target for Linux.聽

A lot of softwares ship with Linux are FOSS and while some are very good, many look and feel very amateurish. These have nowhere the quality of commerical windows softwares that have dozens of corporate developers spending years on them with patches, fixes, updates, and hearing feedbacks from users that's for sure.聽

I do need to say that Linux developers are many but these guys mainly develop web applications, server side applications and all the system applications/libraries that support these. In short, very few developers are making Linux userland applications for desktop users and instead they are developing things like nginx webservers and nodejs/dotnet core/php/Java/docker containers and ect web applications that run on these operating system. So yeah.... I am afraid Linux is just being niche into web hosting for the most part which is one area in which it has a monopoly share.聽

Sudo make me a sandwich聽