Would an Intel N100 be good enough for a Jellyfin server?

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Playback can be done from quite the potato as long as no encoding is done a n100 is fine a pi 3 nas could do it so a n100 which is way better should be more than fine. Just make sure that if its actual blurays ya dont get shitty cheap slow storage 😛

However with gpu encoding a n100 may even be fine.

Do check amds ryzens offerjngs cuz whilst good for the price sometimes those are a legit option

So, I'm thinking of getting a mini PC with an Intel N100 and 16GB of RAM, throw Linux on it and then get the Jellyfin server setup. It'd be a cheap way to get my server going and since the power consumption is very small It would also save some money on the electrical bill. My main concern is the CPU performance for the playback of 4k HDR media files. Will it be able to handle that or is it to weak of a CPU for that kind of job? Of course the transcoding won't work at all that I know, but just for direct playing I was thinking it should be alright.

Edit: I was also wondering If by any chance It would be able to do playback on two devices of 4k HDR playback at the same time.

Playback can be done from quite the potato as long as no encoding is done a n100 is fine a pi 3 nas could do it so a n100 which is way better should be more than fine. Just make sure that if its actual blurays ya dont get shitty cheap slow storage 😛

Do check amds ryzens offerjngs cuz whilst good for the price sometimes those are a legit option

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Just make sure that if its actual blurays ya dont get shitty cheap slow storage 😛

Slow storage is fine, even for full bitrate Blu-Ray rips. Maximum realistic bitrate will be 80-100Mbps, which even the slowest 5400 Rpm HDDs can serve 6-8 times over. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

5 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Slow storage is fine, even for full bitrate Blu-Ray rips. Maximum realistic bitrate will be 80-100Mbps, which even the slowest 5400 Rpm HDDs can serve 6-8 times over. 

Meant more like uber cheap flash storage or those cheap high capacity ali express special drives that have like 30MB/s read speeds which are borderline usable. Seen em become popular as cheap nas recs and like. Dont do that peeps :p. That or sd card nas's 😛

Better have a fair warning than have people come back askin.

Jellyfish don't have brains, so I don't see why you'd need a CPU at all.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Thanks for your help. And I will use an external 8TB 7200rpm drive that has good R/W speeds so no worries there.

6 minutes ago, HARDWELL9191 said:

Thanks for your help. And I will use an external 8TB 7200rpm drive that has good R/W speeds so no worries there.

Heads up a lotta those drives are cruddy smr ones that dont do too well being 24/7

12 minutes ago, HARDWELL9191 said:

The difference between a 5400RPM and 7200RPM drive is negligible in this particular application. The only thing that you would be adding is more noise, heat, and wear and tear on the drive. If you purchasing a new drive, I would advocate for a 5400 RPM NAS rated drive for this application.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:25 PM, jaslion said:

Heads up a lotta those drives are cruddy smr ones that dont do too well being 24/7

It's a Toshiba NAS Systems N300 8TB. So it should be good.