ALIENWARE AW2725DF not getting 360 hz with display port

NejiFist

so I just got this monitor and it's supposed to go to 360 hz when connected to displayport but i'm not getting that. any idea why not?

image.png.5c5a6e4aff8ddddc2ed9c5206a743992.png

Its likely an issue in Windows or with the display out/in version/connection you're using. You could also check your nvidia settings

I want to say this might be an issue with the 1080 and DSC support. @Glenwing may know more. There certainly seems to be a lot of talk back around when the 1080 launched and its support for 4k 144hz displays being iffy which might be the same thing here. 

Its possible the card might need this update? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/ 

@NejiFistare you using the DP cable that came with the display?

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I want to say this might be an issue with the 1080 and DSC support. @Glenwing may know more. There certainly seems to be a lot of talk back around when the 1080 launched and its support for 4k 144hz displays being iffy which might be the same thing here. 

Its possible the card might need this update? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/ 

@NejiFistare you using the DP cable that came with the display?

yes i'm using the DP cable that came with the display. I did just see it was some update in windows for dell and alienware to dl so i'm doing that and doing a restart to see if that fixes it.

yea even after updating it just does 240hz.

4 minutes ago, NejiFist said:

yea even after updating it just does 240hz.

I wonder if that card needs that DisplayPort update. Remember, its 7+ years old.

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I wonder if that card needs that DisplayPort update. Remember, its 7+ years old.

it's another update other than just the geforce updates?

Just now, NejiFist said:

it's another update other than just the geforce updates?

Correct, its linked above.

The updater seems to tell you if its needed or not if you run it, can't hurt to see what it says even if you don't go through with it. 

The NVIDIA Firmware Updater will detect whether the firmware update is needed, and if needed, will give the user the option to update it.

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Correct, its linked above.

The updater seems to tell you if its needed or not if you run it, can't hurt to see what it says even if you don't go through with it. 

oops i didn't even see that. ok well after doing that and restarting it's still just showing 240hz. maybe i just need to upgrade gpu instead of spending the same amount on a monitor LOL.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

10 series does not support DSC.

alright thanks for the answer. not that big of a deal just another reason to upgrade gpu later.

On 1/23/2024 at 11:53 PM, NejiFist said:

alright thanks for the answer. not that big of a deal just another reason to upgrade gpu later.

You have a GTX 1080 (8 year old card) and a $900 monitor??? That seems sooooooo backwards to me

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

On 1/29/2024 at 2:41 PM, Deadpool2onBlu-Ray said:

You have a GTX 1080 (8 year old card) and a $900 monitor??? That seems sooooooo backwards to me

i mean i don't "need" a new card for what i play i still get 120+ fps on everything i mainly play and a oled monitor makes watching movies better so why not lol