Trying to create a 10gig link between my PC and NAS (TrueNAS Scale)

So I'm trying to make a direct 10Gb connection between my NAS and PC. Both have 10Gb Mellanox connectx-3 mcx311a-xcat NICs in them. No driver issues, they are both working fine. I was about to make this post on trying to configure the nic on Truenas, but I just figured that out. The only thing I can't get to work is actually creating a Link in windows to access the NAS. I have a couple of network drives already setup for the gigabit. Not sure How to go about it for the 10 gigabit connection. I have the connection made and it looks good under network connections. Just not exactly sure how to map out a new network drive. It doesn't seem to work when I try it the way I did for the gigabit connection. Anyone have any ideas?

Are the 10 gig NICs connected directly to each other?

Give them static addresses outside the address space the rest of your network uses. (So instead of 192.168.1.x/24, use 192.168.2.x/24.) Then access the NAS by that address instead of the regular Gigabit one.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

21 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Are the 10 gig NICs connected directly to each other?

Give them static addresses outside the address space the rest of your network uses. (So instead of 192.168.1.x/24, use 192.168.2.x/24.) Then access the NAS by that address instead of the regular Gigabit one.

Yes that is exactly how I did it(thanks to you answering my similar post a couple of weeks ago lol). That's how I configured the IP's. And it's all working (I can login using the original gigabit IP, and with the new 192.168.1.1). 

So I have a connection. My issue is I can't actually transfer files through the 10gig connection in file explorer. When I select "This PC" in File Explorer, and click the "...", I have the options connect to a media server, add a network location, and map network drive; none of them seem to work. I already used MAP network drive before installing the 10gb nic and it works fine for the one gig connection. I'm just wondering how I can do this a second time so I can actually use the 10gig nics lol. IP's are good. It's down to configuring something in windows at this point I think.

Edited by Owsleygarcia95
Forgot part of a sentence

6 minutes ago, Owsleygarcia95 said:

Yes that is exactly how I did it(thanks to you answering my similar post a couple of weeks ago lol). That's how I configured the IP's. And it's all working (I can login using the original gigabit IP, and with the new 192.168.1.1). 

So I have a connection. My issue is I can't actually transfer files through the 10gig connection in file explorer. When I select "This PC" in File Explorer, and click the "...", I have the options connect to a media server, add a network location, and map network drive. I already used MAP network drive before installing the 10gb nic and it works fine for the one gig connection. I'm just wondering how I can do this a second time so I can actually use the 10gig nics lol. IP's are good. It's down to configuring something in windows at this point I think.

Try connecting to the NAS in Explorer by typing the IP address instead of a hostname.

For example:

\\192.168.2.2\Share

(Substitute the IP address and share name you set up, of course.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

11 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Try connecting to the NAS in Explorer by typing the IP address instead of a hostname.

For example:

\\192.168.2.2\Share

OK Thanks. I attempted to try that earlier, I just didn't know the right \\'s and the Share. Do I need to put in the exact directory \mnt\Data etc? 

Also it almost worked but it says I don't have permission. I already gave these users permissions. I'm thinking maybe I need to do it all over again for the other IP address? Idk, all I know is I hate setting permissions in TrueNAS, and they need a box for linux idiots that just gives everything permission to do everything lol. 

19 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

For example:

\\192.168.2.2\Share

so I tried 192.168.1.1\Share lol that's obviously wrong.  is \\192.168.1.1\mnt\Data\Test How I would do it? Normally it's mnt/Data/Test so I'm kind of wondering which way the slashes go throughout the whole thing?

45 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

For example:

\\192.168.2.2\Share

I restarted it and I got it to work. Thank you. Used about half of the theoretical connection speed. Currently only have 4 drives in a raid z1, so I'm guessing once it's 8 drives in a z2, I should beable to hit over 1GB/s.

3 hours ago, Owsleygarcia95 said:

so I tried 192.168.1.1\Share lol that's obviously wrong.  is \\192.168.1.1\mnt\Data\Test How I would do it? Normally it's mnt/Data/Test so I'm kind of wondering which way the slashes go throughout the whole thing?

You use whatever you set up as the SMB share. You need to set up SMB shares on the new subnet on the Truenas side. 

My array in my signature will read at about 3.5-5gb/s, and write at about the same. If whatever I am trying to read is in ARC tho, well then it’s pulling it out of RAM and will do full 10gig. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air