So I was messing around with GPU Tweak and ThrottleStop and now my CPU (an I7-12650H) is running at 1.7Ghz for the Max P-Core Frequency and for the Ma

Normally it should be running at 4.7Ghz and 3.5Ghz as it says here on the specs website on Intel. Is it possible that I have messed up my CPU? And if not is there a way to fix it? I have already returned the default BIOS settings (I have turned off undervolting protection). I have already deleted the ThrottleStop .ini file that it has made. Below is a picture of the CPU Info from Intel XTU. I have both OCCT and Intel XTU running for stress tests and it is just not getting the CPU to thermal throttle like normal. It would not go above 72 degrees. Please someone help me fix it.

ryzlne3eg2ec1.webp

@Stefcho.Toqgata

I never use Intel XTU so I am not familiar with it.

Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR and TPL windows and I might be able to figure out the problem.

6 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@Stefcho.Toqgata

I never use Intel XTU so I am not familiar with it.

Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR and TPL windows and I might be able to figure out the problem.

This is the FVR control and this is the TPL. And I have only use XTU to stress test the CPU and to see what is going on. I tried to run both OCCT and XTU at one point but I still could not get the CPU to reach 4.7Ghz.

11 hours ago, Stefcho.Toqgata said:

4.7Ghz

The 47 multiplier is only available when 1 or 2 cores are active. During a full load stress test the maximum multiplier drops to 41. The FIVR turbo ratios section shows this. The H series do not support any overclocking. That includes an all core overclock. The H series do not allow CPU voltage control (Not Available). That means they will run hot at full power.

image.png.85a75689c8685e4c44f1ce95db9aa80b.png

The TPL window shows the MMIO turbo power limits are set to default values. Check the MMIO Lock box near the top right of the TPL window to bypass these power limits.

image.png.3e3cc4536feaa3253ca638a1be96d3cf.png

OCCT and XTU are extreme tests and are overkill for most laptops. Your laptop might not be engineered to run these tests at full speed and full power. Few laptops can handle these tests. Power or thermal throttling are common. 

Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option when testing. Attach a log to your next post. The log file will be in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. 

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

The 47 multiplier is only available when 1 or 2 cores are active. During a full load stress test the maximum multiplier drops to 41. The FIVR turbo ratios section shows this. The H series do not support any overclocking. That includes an all core overclock. The H series do not allow CPU voltage control (Not Available). That means they will run hot at full power.

image.png.85a75689c8685e4c44f1ce95db9aa80b.png

The TPL window shows the MMIO turbo power limits are set to default values. Check the MMIO Lock box near the top right of the TPL window to bypass these power limits.

image.png.3e3cc4536feaa3253ca638a1be96d3cf.png

OCCT and XTU are extreme tests and are overkill for most laptops. Your laptop might not be engineered to run these tests at full speed and full power. Few laptops can handle these tests. Power or thermal throttling are common. 

Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option when testing. Attach a log to your next post. The log file will be in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. 

So I have tested the CPU with XTU and I  have logged the results. The laptop ran fine with the stress test for 7 minutes and it seem fine (I think).

2024-01-23.txt

1 hour ago, Stefcho.Toqgata said:

XTU

Stop using XTU. Your laptop seems to be running much slower than it should be running. Reboot, only use ThrottleStop and post some screenshots of your ThrottleStop settings. Include the FIVR and TPL windows. Turn on the Log File option and run another log file. Run Cinebench for a full load stress test.

Check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window. Try using the Windows High Performance power plan. 

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

Stop using XTU. Your laptop seems to be running much slower than it should be running. Reboot, only use ThrottleStop and post some screenshots of your ThrottleStop settings. Include the FIVR and TPL windows. Turn on the Log File option and run another log file. Run Cinebench for a full load stress test.

Check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window. Try using the Windows High Performance power plan. 

I have done a Cinebench on the laptop and here is the log. Also here is the FIVR and the TPL.

2024-01-23.txt

Cinebench

Your CPU runs at full power for about 8 seconds. After that it is non stop thermal throttling. To get maximum performance out of your laptop, you need a lot better cooling.

Are you using the Windows High Performance power plan? How are your games playing when using these settings? The CPU gets up to about 60W before thermal throttling reduces performance. Power consumption drops to 41W to 42W as throttling continues. Sign of a badly under designed heatsink and fan or poor installation. 

Your temperatures are constantly reaching 96C so it should be performing a little better.

What laptop model do you have? Are you using any manufacturer's control software? I would return this laptop for a refund if you bought it recently.

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

Your CPU runs at full power for about 8 seconds. After that it is non stop thermal throttling. To get maximum performance out of your laptop, you need a lot better cooling.

Are you using the Windows High Performance power plan? How are your games playing when using these settings? The CPU gets up to about 60W before thermal throttling reduces performance. Power consumption drops to 41W to 42W as throttling continues. Sign of a badly under designed heatsink and fan or poor installation. 

Your temperatures are constantly reaching 96C so it should be performing a little better.

What laptop model do you have? Are you using any manufacturer's control software? I would return this laptop for a refund if you bought it recently.

I have an MSI Cyborg 15 A12VF and it was not happening before I messed around with TS and GPU Tweak. It was working fine. I bought the laptop in September 2023.

MSI Cyborg

Are you running any MSI control software or any game boosting software? Delete these kind of programs if you are using them.

If you think ThrottleStop is causing any of your problems, exit ThrottleStop, delete it and shut down your computer. ThrottleStop did not make any long term changes to your computer. When your computer starts back up, run Cinebench and see how your scores compare to when you were previously running ThrottleStop. 

Your computer is not running at full speed because it is overheating and thermal throttling. The heatsink is struggling to keep the CPU cool when it is only running at 40W. The cooler needs to be able to cool a CPU that can easily run at 60W, 70W or 80W. Try replacing the thermal paste with Honeywell PTM 7950.

Edit - Did you check the Disable Turbo box on the main ThrottleStop screen or did you set the Windows maximum processor state to 99%? If you made any Windows power plan changes, press the Reset button to reset those changes. Post a screenshot of ThrottleStop while Cinebench is running.

16 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Are you running any MSI control software or any game boosting software? Delete these kind of programs if you are using them.

If you think ThrottleStop is causing any of your problems, exit ThrottleStop, delete it and shut down your computer. ThrottleStop did not make any long term changes to your computer. When your computer starts back up, run Cinebench and see how your scores compare to when you were previously running ThrottleStop. 

Your computer is not running at full speed because it is overheating and thermal throttling. The heatsink is struggling to keep the CPU cool when it is only running at 40W. The cooler needs to be able to cool a CPU that can easily run at 60W, 70W or 80W. Try replacing the thermal paste with Honeywell PTM 7950.

Edit - Did you check the Disable Turbo box on the main ThrottleStop screen or did you set the Windows maximum processor state to 99%? If you made any Windows power plan changes, press the Reset button to reset those changes. Post a screenshot of ThrottleStop while Cinebench is running.

So this is the ThottleStop whilst running Cinebench. And also here is a photo of the Power Plan settings. But I have one issue and that is whenever I try to set the Power Plan to balanced it just automatically reverts it to Power Saver.

Edit - I just checked the Cinebench score and I know this is not the important bit but I do not think that the score should be this high.

it just automatically reverts it to Power Saver.

Are you running any MSI control software on your computer? This is separate from the Window's Power Options. Something on your computer must be constantly changing the power plan to Power Saver. It is likely set to cool and quiet for minimum fan noise and minimum performance.  

According to your Cinebench score, you have the world's fastest laptop. Obviously it is a Cinebench bug. I still use Cinebench R23. I am not sure how often the new 2024 version bugs out. 

https://www.guru3d.com/download/download-maxon-cinebench-r23/

The ThrottleStop screenshot shows constant thermal throttling. That is what the HOT word in red means.

image.png.3c9ef09b5c8bb4bedfc3452923e178c5.png

There is no way to improve performance until you find a way to improve cooling and find and remove whatever is constantly resetting your power plans to Power Saver.