Tons of mobile scam spam

Been getting more and more mobile message spam. Lately my Signal has been flooded by bots and I get a day about 5 new requests to start investing into bitcoin to make $1-2k a day, pUrE pRoFiT.

My suspect is this Christmas season and signing up to all those store discounts when creating an account. I don't tend to give out my number though, its the email usually. Some one's either sold mine, leaked it or was hacked. What's one of the better sites to have check where all my shit is? Get rid of my phone number and possibly email? Unsubscribe from a lot of spam and maybe display a summary of in total all the things I've given out my email to?

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Are you only receiving the messages on Signal? Or are you also receiving unusually high scam calls, SMS, or emails?

Do the messages contain any personal information like your name, or is it just a generic message?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Are you only receiving the messages on Signal? Or are you also receiving unusually high scam calls, SMS, or emails?

Do the messages contain any personal information like your name, or is it just a generic message?

I'm receiving emails, normal messages and calls. Email has a spam folder that works at 110% efficiency. I've bought a Samsung which has its build in spam filter which works nicely, all 3 meaning I don't get to see the spam but still not good that it's there. From time to time something on WhatsApp comes through by people from Africa claiming they've got job and investment opportunities but the start of this year Signal has significantly picked up in spam and there seems to be no filter. So far 100% of them want me to invest into bitcoin.

All of messages are non specific to me/generic so that they can be copy pasted to hundreds of thousands of people at once.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

1 hour ago, venomtail said:

All of messages are non specific to me/generic so that they can be copy pasted to hundreds of thousands of people at once.

I would guess that it's probably just a big wave of spam going around Signal at the moment and they're just sending out the messages to whoever they can. Probably not specific to you.

I don't use Signal so I'm not sure what you can do to prevent it. Maybe see if there's any settings that will block anyone who you do not have added as a contact from contacting you.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 1/17/2024 at 9:08 AM, venomtail said:

I'm receiving emails, normal messages and calls.

Not sure what to do about the phone call spam, but Mozilla and duckduckgo have email relays you can use.  They are email aliases, which you can give out to websites that forward to your regular email.  As a bonus, both attempt to block any hidden trackers.  You can even have

@duck.com email, which strips trackers, and forward that to the mozilla email relay, also stripping trackers, then have that forward to your regular email.  I had that setup and will setup again, as it seems like an interesting way to filter emails.  Also, any alias account (you can have multiple) that gets too much spam, just turn it off.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

11 hours ago, E-waste said:

Not sure what to do about the phone call spam, but Mozilla and duckduckgo have email relays you can use.  They are email aliases, which you can give out to websites that forward to your regular email.  As a bonus, both attempt to block any hidden trackers.  You can even have

@duck.com email, which strips trackers, and forward that to the mozilla email relay, also stripping trackers, then have that forward to your regular email.  I had that setup and will setup again, as it seems like an interesting way to filter emails.  Also, any alias account (you can have multiple) that gets too much spam, just turn it off.

Yea saw Firefox letting me know such a feature now exist. Yet to try it out tho but kinda want to.