RTX 3070 or RTX 4060 ti?

I am upgrading my GPU and the RTX 3070 and RTX 4060 ti both look similar in performance but I'm not sure which one one be a better fit for my purpose. My main use case is running theHunter: Call of the Wild at 4k 120fps.

The 3070 is the better card in basically all scenarios, go for that one if it's just between the two. 

That said, neither card is really capable of running games at 4k 120FPS, and in this price range you're almost certainly better off going for an AMD card of some sort unless you're doing AI/CUDA accelerated work on the side. 

3070 is a stronger card overall, tho 4060ti has some quality of life stuff like frame generation and AV1 support. If just wanna run that one game, maybe 3070. Up to you!

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

27 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If you're in the US, the RX 6800 is currently selling new for $400. It's faster than both and has 16GB of VRAM while costing about the same.

That card doesn't sound too bad actually, I may be constrained by power though as I'm running a 650 watt power supply and I'm unsure if that will be enough to run that card. For reference, I am currently running an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, 32 gigabytes of ram, and a gtx 1070

2 minutes ago, PandaIsBonkers said:

That card doesn't sound too bad actually, I may be constrained by power though as I'm running a 650 watt power supply and I'm unsure if that will be enough to run that card. For reference, I am currently running an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, 32 gigabytes of ram, and a gtx 1070

The suggested PSU for the RX 6800 is 600W, and the Ryzen 5 2600 isn't that power hungry, so your 650W PSU should be totally fine.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

If you're in the US, the RX 6800 is currently selling new for $400. It's faster than both and has 16GB of VRAM while costing about the same.

For 400$ you can also find used 6800xt or 3080, if you are lucky maybe even a used 6900xt/3080ti

1 hour ago, PandaIsBonkers said:

And the entire system minus gpu is unlikely to draw more than 150w so youll be fine even with a 3080ti or 6950xt

Though the 2600 is pretty old so id reccomend buying a used 3600(x) for 50-60$ or a 5600(x) for 80-100$

3 hours ago, PandaIsBonkers said:

I am upgrading my GPU and the RTX 3070 and RTX 4060 ti both look similar in performance but I'm not sure which one one be a better fit for my purpose. My main use case is running theHunter: Call of the Wild at 4k 120fps.

Get a 6800xt instead if possible. AMD cards usually don't have great drivers, but if you can look past that... Also, don't forget that your CPU will constrain the card, no matter which one of all these listed aboves you go with. Remember that 4k 120fps does not come cheap, unless you are running potato titles.

you should upgrade that cpu first, you cant just slap a powerful gpu in there and expect no problems (there will be problems) the 1070 is still plenty fine, do you currently experience issues while playing games, and of which kind?

to answer the question,  3070 is faster but you'll likely be heavily cpu constraint so the faster card won't benefit you much, if at all. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

52 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

you should upgrade that cpu first, you cant just slap a powerful gpu in there and expect no problems (there will be problems) the 1070 is still plenty fine, do you currently experience issues while playing games, and of which kind?

to answer the question,  3070 is faster but you'll likely be heavily cpu constraint so the faster card won't benefit you much, if at all. 

My main issue is that I can't run the game I play the most, theHunter: Call of the Wild at the resolution and framerate I would like, ideally 4k and a minimum of 70 - 80 FPS, it practically becomes a slideshow haha. I also stream on Twitch using Streamlabs so I would need something that can handle that as well.