How to make vscode background blurred

I want to make the background a bit transparent (which i did), but i also want to make it a bit blurry, but all the extensions tell me to run it as administrator, and linux doesn't want me to do that, does anyone know how to get around that, or which other extension to use?

Don't think you can, since that is not something just any app should be able to do, for security reasons. Think of apps recording your browser window to see your online banking interactions.

This has to happen at the level of the display manager.

To get a blur effect, the app needs to "see" the contents of whatever is behind its own window. Then it needs to blur and mix it with it's own background to make it appear as if the window was transparent.

This is something that might have been possible back when Compiz was the latest craze.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

On 1/16/2024 at 8:43 AM, MiszS said:

I want to make the background a bit transparent (which i did), but i also want to make it a bit blurry

If you use KDE with their desktop effects, you can enable blur.  It is designed to affect all translucent windows and menus.

In KDE, right click the titlebar of any program, or go open "window rules" in system settings and click "detect window properties".

Add "active opacity" and change it to what you want.  Now, this will fade the whole window, including the text, making even the text less opaque, blending it with the background.

What I like to do is use qtcurve, a theme available around 2008 or 2009 in the KDE 4 era, and with that, use the advanced qtcurve theme settings.  In it, it allows you to try setting all windows, menus and tooltips to 0-100% opacity.  A lot of programs override with solid backgrounds set by theme colors, but it still allows a cool mix of translucent elements to all windows, especially popup windows, like pasword entry, and when clicking options like advanced / more.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.