7 5800X3D vs 9 5900X

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
3 minutes ago, BeastHotDogGUY said:

so the 5900x is the better choice for what I'm doing since it has more and faster ones

No, the 5800X3D has the faster cores (for gaming) thanks to its cache. More than 8 cores is useless for most games, many can't even make use of that much.

Budget (including currency): $400 USD

Games that it will be used for: CS2, War Thunder, Warzone, Fortnite, The Finals 

Other details: I'm staying on AM4 no matter what, Google AI says my cooler has a TDP from 125 to 150 but extermepc.co.nz says up to 235 (doesn't really matter since its above 105 either way) I have 32gb 3600mhz ram, and 

I was wondering which was better since the 5900x has 4 more cores, 8 more threads, 300mhz more base and turbo clock, and  but the 5800x3d 32mb of L3 cache. It looks like the 5900x's pro are more than the cons but I thought I would get another opinion since I know a decent bit about pc's but not this much. 

For gaming faster cores generally beats more cores. Especially once you go beyond 8 cores, which is typically the limit of what recent games can make use of (there are exceptions of course, e.g. Cyberpunk 2077 scales very well). For productivity it depends on what you're doing, but more cores might be better than faster cores. Plus productivity tasks usually don't benefit from 3D V-Cache.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

For gaming faster cores generally beats more cores. Especially once you go beyond 8 cores, which is typically the limit of what recent games can make use of (there are exceptions of course, e.g. Cyberpunk 2077 scales very well). For productivity it depends on what you're doing, but more cores might be better than faster cores. Plus productivity tasks usually don't benefit from 3D V-Cache.

so the 5900x is the better choice for what I'm doing since it has more and faster ones

No, the 5800X3D has the faster cores (for gaming) thanks to its cache. More than 8 cores is useless for most games, many can't even make use of that much.

4 minutes ago, BeastHotDogGUY said:

5800X3D

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

what about future proofing I'm also trying to play gta6 when it comes out and the requirements might be crazy

Just now, BeastHotDogGUY said:

what about future proofing

Never use that phrase ever again. Delete it from your vocab.

5800x3D for gaming and its not even close. Future Proofing is just not feasible and often leads to wasted money for no gain in the end. When the system can no longer do what you ask of it, then upgrade.

22 hours ago, Shimejii said:

5800x3D for gaming and its not even close. Future Proofing is just not feasible and often leads to wasted money for no gain in the end. When the system can no longer do what you ask of it, then upgrade.

ok I'll get the 5800x3d I'm sorry for using the forbidden words

I'm also trying to play gta6 when it comes out and the requirements might be crazy

I would guess it will run on current consoles, which have 8 cores, so don't expect it to require more than this.

Other than than, specing a PC for a game that comes out many years into the future, with no clear idea of its requirements makes no sense.

11 minutes ago, BeastHotDogGUY said:

ok I'll get the 5900x I'm sorry for using the forbidden words

But why?  Google the reviews of the 5800X3D.

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

while this is theoretically not wrong, most modern cpus have similar single core performance,  it's usually multi where it counts...

(for example 3600 vs 5800x3D, single is almost similar,  to the point im getting much better results is superposition for example with the 3600)

so in practice saying multi core isnt as important holds about as much water than "games will never use more than 8gb vram"... both isnt true since a decade or so anymore. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

opposite,  you should always try to future proof your stuff at least,  otherwise this leads to "why the f*** did nvidia release the super when i just bought the slower none super for more, f*** nvidia, they scammed me...!!"

or when i bought a 2200g, which was too slow even on release,  instead of listening to amd internet warriors ("4 cores is enough..." ) i should have done my own research properly and bought the gold standard 3600, which still holds up today!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, BeastHotDogGUY said:

ok I'll get the 5900x

Not to be rude, but why ask for advice, have everyone tell you one thing, then go for the other anyway?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

46 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

ok I'll get the 5900x

Not to be rude, but why ask for advice, have everyone tell you one thing, then go for the other anyway?

Doesn't seem like he actually wants advice. Just attention.

We can lead a horse to water but can't save the horse if it doesn't want to drink water.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Maybe he just got confused and asked for confirmation. I thought it is confusing.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

19 hours ago, venomtail said:

We can lead a horse to water but can't save the horse if it doesn't want to drink water.

i was lost since the 5900x was 300mhz faster

19 hours ago, venomtail said:

dude I thought he meant the 5900x since it was 300mhz faster

22 hours ago, Why_Me said:

But why?  Google the reviews of the 5800X3D.

typo

22 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

I would guess it will run on current consoles, which have 8 cores, so don't expect it to require more than this.

Other than than, specing a PC for a game that comes out many years into the future, with no clear idea of its requirements makes no sense.

it comes out next year

41 minutes ago, BeastHotDogGUY said:

it comes out next year

Rumors say it'll be out for console in Q1 2025. PC might come as late as Q1 2026. Neither of these is officially confirmed and there could always be further delays, wouldn't be the first time.

4 hours ago, BeastHotDogGUY said:

i was lost since the 5900x was 300mhz faster

4 hours ago, BeastHotDogGUY said:

dude I thought he meant the 5900x since it was 300mhz faster

MHz isn't everything. Way more to it to determine how fast a CPU is. As of right now, many games gobble up level 3 cache that 5800X3D has way more of.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker