MIT, Harvard students launch NSA proof E-mail

nicehat

proton-mail.jpg

MIT and Harvard students have come together and created ProtonMail, a service designed to be a more secure replacement for the now defunct Lavabit (the former email platform of choice for Edward Snowden). ProntonMail has launched its open beta over the weekend after private tests. The Swiss based service (servers are all in Switzerland) offers some of the strongest privacy protection in the world for both individuals and entities. Besides enjoying being outside the jurisdiction of both the EU and the USA, all users are protected by swiss privacy laws, which are quite strict. 

Your data is encrypted with one password (which authenticates the recipient) and then sent out to these servers, which prevents anyone at ProtonMail or any other entity other than the recipient to read the said data. The recipient has the ability to decrypt the data with another password, and no one else. There is also no way to recover your password. So if you forget your decryption password, the data is gone. Its also free, and easy to use.It works out of any browser and there is nothing to install. 

ProtonMail takes it a step further, by not logging your IP or requiring any personal info to sign up. For the paid accounts, they accept cash payments and bitcoin to promote anonymity. In addition, you can set your emails to self destruct or self delete after a certain time frame, so there are no trails of sent messages. 

http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/19/students-from-mit-and-harvard-launch-nsa-proof-email/

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

before any one starts screaming

IF THEY WANT TO KNOW THEY WILL KNOW

this is to protect people from mass blanket surveillance NOT direct survalance (HVT)

edit instead of this i just recommend buying a raspberry pi and making your own decentralized encrypted webmail

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

And how do we know this is not set up by NSA to collect data from NSA-avoiders? :P

It was more fun when they had to sift through mountains of spam like 'C4nad1an Meds', free rolex's and rich nigerian princes trying to give you some money :/

Honestly I dont care, the NSA are free to read my emails

I live 10 miles from the worlds largest communication monitoring station that has ties to the NSA....so I am sure I cannot escape

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii