Note: This topic is pure speculation, and should be taken with a grain of salt. It's just a theory. A GAMEEE THEORY (i'm sorry)

As a minor, I've always been worried and on the alert for the voice cloning scams wherein a scammer will call a parent and (the scammers will) clone the voice of that parent's child to try to make it seem like the child has been kidnapped. (Instance of this happening)

The one thing that nobody really knows the cause of is how the scammer is able to clone the child's voice in the first place. I mean, for a scammer to be able to accomplish such a task they would have to have multiple recordings of the child's voice, and by default, be in contact with the child! 

I didn't have any ideas as to how a scammer would get voice recordings like this. Well, until I started getting these strange calls. For the last couple of months, I've been getting calls from people with my number's area code. When you answer, normally nobody answers the call. It's just 15 (or so) seconds of silence until the caller on the other end hangs up. It's the same for every single call (except for a couple of rare cases where a robot on the other end would say 'hello' three times back-to-back after a couple seconds of silence and then hang up). What's weirder is that every single call is from a different number. Not one of them has the same number as another, yet they all have my area code.

I've tried calling these people back, but every single time, no matter how close it was to the original call in terms of time, it always goes to voicemail (and the voicemail box is never set up, might I add). I get these calls multiple times a day. Once, I did get a voicemail box, but the number that the robot listed was different than the one on the caller ID.

My theory is that they're calling me to try to get me to try to speak into the mic so they can record and clone my voice.

Again, this is all speculation. I don't know if any of this is true. I just thought I'd share this information just in case someone else had a lead.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

11 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

My theory is that they're calling me to try to get me to try to speak into the mic so they can record and clone my voice.

Bloody good call to recognise that possibility, and great advice for people to think about.

59 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Note: This topic is pure speculation, and should be taken with a grain of salt. It's just a theory. A GAMEEE THEORY (i'm sorry)

As a minor, I've always been worried and on the alert for the voice cloning scams wherein a scammer will call a parent and (the scammers will) clone the voice of that parent's child to try to make it seem like the child has been kidnapped. (Instance of this happening)

The one thing that nobody really knows the cause of is how the scammer is able to clone the child's voice in the first place. I mean, for a scammer to be able to accomplish such a task they would have to have multiple recordings of the child's voice, and by default, be in contact with the child! 

I didn't have any ideas as to how a scammer would get voice recordings like this. Well, until I started getting these strange calls. For the last couple of months, I've been getting calls from people with my number's area code. When you answer, normally nobody answers the call. It's just 15 (or so) seconds of silence until the caller on the other end hangs up. It's the same for every single call (except for a couple of rare cases where a robot on the other end would say 'hello' three times back-to-back after a couple seconds of silence and then hang up). What's weirder is that every single call is from a different number. Not one of them has the same number as another, yet they all have my area code.

I've tried calling these people back, but every single time, no matter how close it was to the original call in terms of time, it always goes to voicemail (and the voicemail box is never set up, might I add). I get these calls multiple times a day. Once, I did get a voicemail box, but the number that the robot listed was different than the one on the caller ID.

Again, this is all speculation. I don't know if any of this is true. I just thought I'd share this information just in case someone else had a lead.

A lot of calls use your area code. Just to make you want to answer. Sometimes it is just a call to see if a phone number is active. They could very well be trying to get enough speech patterns to clone your voice. Not only through mobile phones but also VoIP calls and even landlines. Discuss this with your parents and choose a safe word. Only share the safe word with your parents or any other family member that looks after you. 

1 minute ago, BillBill said:

A lot of calls use your area code. Just to make you want to answer. Sometimes it is just a call to see if a phone number is active. They could very well be trying to get enough speech patterns to clone your voice. Not only through mobile phones but also VoIP calls and even landlines. Discuss this with your parents and choose a safe word. Only share the safe word with your parents or any other family member that looks after you. 

Yeah I've been doing that. Whenever they call I also just play dumb stuff through the mic.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

2 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Yeah I've been doing that. Whenever they call I also just play dumb stuff through the mic.

I often wonder if there is a flaw with Android and people try to sneak into your phone while calling from a computer using a fake number.  

16 minutes ago, BillBill said:

I often wonder if there is a flaw with Android and people try to sneak into your phone while calling from a computer using a fake number.  

That'd make a good movie tbh

already seen a a.i  voice scam video on a mobile game ad.

with a billion case member talking. but it was off. i know how the actor speaks.

even the a.i face movement was off.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

2 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

already seen a a.i  voice scam video on a mobile game ad.

with a billion case member talking. but it was off. i know how the actor speaks.

even the a.i face movement was off.

I've seen those too.

7 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

I've seen those too.

i adore his character. very very specific mouth and voice.

that how easy it was to spot

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I thought I'd just cough when I answer calls from unknown numbers so the caller knows the call is answered and gets to go first. That way I won't speak into the mic if it's a call like you describe. But what prevents them from actually having an agent talk some "promotional" stuff to me and capturing enough samples of my voice? Perhaps even grabbing the specific phrases that they need by carefully wording their questions?

I think people should just stop answering unknown calls on the first ring. If they're a scammer, I think they'd just assume the line isn't in use and stop calling. If it's a legitimate person calling, they would call after some time(or immediately if they really need to talk) and my phone tells me "missed call x minutes ago" so that's when I'd answer.

Thank you OP for getting me to think about this.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

2 hours ago, RockSolid1106 said:

I thought I'd just cough when I answer calls from unknown numbers so the caller knows the call is answered and gets to go first. That way I won't speak into the mic if it's a call like you describe. But what prevents them from actually having an agent talk some "promotional" stuff to me and capturing enough samples of my voice? Perhaps even grabbing the specific phrases that they need by carefully wording their questions?

I think people should just stop answering unknown calls on the first ring. If they're a scammer, I think they'd just assume the line isn't in use and stop calling. If it's a legitimate person calling, they would call after some time(or immediately if they really need to talk) and my phone tells me "missed call x minutes ago" so that's when I'd answer.

Thank you OP for getting me to think about this.

the most such a caller would get from me is a "not interested" and his number insta blocked...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, RockSolid1106 said:

think people should just stop answering unknown calls on the first ring. If they're a scammer, I think they'd just assume the line isn't in use and stop calling.

technically... if it rings the number is in use, that's why they often hang up after like 2 seconds...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'll answer "hello" normally, but if I hear that call transfer "blup" sound I'll start having fun. For some reason "your TV service" doesn't believe I have 40 TVs, and "Visa Mastercard Discover" doesn't want to consolidate my $73,000 worth of Diner's Club card debt. 😞 

The trick is to never answer in the affirmative, and absolutely never say the word "yes". They can take that clip and edit it out of context into a template "call log" that makes it sound like you're agreeing to something completely different.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.