Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app - Windows Defender

Filingo

Hello,

I upgraded the CPU on my PC. In order to do that I had to disable fTPM (because I needed to update the BIOS and it wouldn't let me with fTPM enabled).

I've been using Windows PIN to log in, but because I disabled fTPM and then changed CPU, then the PIN was not available and I had to use the password.

But, I forgot my password so I reinstalled Windows using the Troubleshooting menu on boot. That didn't work but by the time I did it I remembered my password.

Now in the clean installation of Windows, Windows Defender is blank whenever I open it, and I get this message:

image.png.9e2121812d6916f9fe93b37f24ffa158.png

How can I fix that?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Filingo said:

How can I fix that?

Just reinstall windows again fresh , it might literally be faster than trying to diagnose the issue.

Oh no T_T,

I already installed all the apps and games again so it would take quite some time (however that would be the last resort)

3 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Oh no T_T,

I already installed all the apps and games again so it would take quite some time (however that would be the last resort)

well no joke , if it takes say 10 hours to reinstall everything , that still might be faster and easier than trying to diagnose the issue

just keep that in mind

WD is usually very (too) resilient, so there's a possibility what broke it is some malware in stuff you installed. 

Maybe check things work before installing things.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

WD is usually very (too) resilient, so there's a possibility what broke it is some malware in stuff you installed. 

Maybe check things work before installing things.

It was probably not a malware that broke it, because I only installed:

Steam, some Steam games, HWMonitor, VSCode, MySQL, MySQL Workbench, Github Desktop, Git, Cinbebench and some more regular safe things

I think it has to do something with what I did earlier:

I disabled fTPM which then broke the PIN, I then upgraded BIOS then changed CPU, and then reinstalled Windows in a way I never installed - it was the reset option from the Troubleshooting menu at the boot where you save your files but not the apps(when you hold Shift while restarting)

Maybe because I had Malwarebytes installed before, then on the reinstall it wasn't available it broke something in the registry?

2 hours ago, emosun said:

well no joke , if it takes say 10 hours to reinstall everything , that still might be faster and easier than trying to diagnose the issue

just keep that in mind

You were right, reinstalling 🙂 

Update: I just did a clean install and for the first time it was a Windows 11 media and not Windows 10.

This time they cancelled the option to have a local account by default and the "Next" button is grayed out if you are not connected to the internet.

I then searched and found that I can bypass that by launching the cmd and typing OOBE\BYPASSNRO, and it worked.

Could that however have some side effects?

Unlikely, I do all my installs this way and never had an issue.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I've been having same issue after clean install (nothing installed afterwards) googling it seems I'm not the only one and nobody has a solution a part from windows +F key to report the issue to Microsoft. 

if you manage to fix the issue I'll be interested in knowing how! 

20 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Unlikely, I do all my installs this way and never had an issue.

So weird then because I really have no malware whatsoever (only official safe things)

20 hours ago, Formenis said:

I've been having same issue after clean install (nothing installed afterwards) googling it seems I'm not the only one and nobody has a solution a part from windows +F key to report the issue to Microsoft. 

if you manage to fix the issue I'll be interested in knowing how! 

Nope, I ended up just doing a clean install of Windows 11, as @emosun suggested, it was definitely faster and saved headache.

The only thing was that I needed to backup my personal files this time (Because the other reinstallation method keeps your files)

23 minutes ago, Filingo said:

So weird then because I really have no malware whatsoever (only official safe things)

Nope, I ended up just doing a clean install of Windows 11, as @emosun suggested, it was definitely faster and saved headache.

The only thing was that I needed to backup my personal files this time (Because the other reinstallation method keeps your files)

Did the clean install work?

as it didn't for me

FYI for me, Doing an offline reinstall worked 

yes clean install worked. How did you do the clean install initially where it didn't work? I used a USB flash drive, I then deleted all the old partitions on the drive and made a completely new installation

5 hours ago, Filingo said:

yes clean install worked. How did you do the clean install initially where it didn't work? I used a USB flash drive, I then deleted all the old partitions on the drive and made a completely new installation

This how I ended up doing it.

however before I just used the reset feature of windows without usb drive