2 channel dash cam

Psittac

I just rewatched the LTT video about all dashcams being the same couple sensors and soc's.  I thought that I would see if this has changed in the year since the video was made.

Either way what would you recommend for a dash cam that has a rear facing camera (not an interior camera, separate rear).

I have been watching a lot of crash complilations, damned YouTube algorithm lol, and while both of my car's are 20+ years old I have sunk a lot into them in mod's and really need to make sure I get every dollar out of insurance if some yahoo barrels into me.  So budget isn't a huge concern for me but considering I'll probably need to get two of them it matters somewhat, or rather I can probably just move it between cars and have a rear camera wired into each while the main unit moves.

Secondly I want my whole family to have them so what would you recommend for the budget category?

And lastly I have a GoPro Hero 7? that I can use but never looked into what it takes to keep the card from filling up, is there a way to overwrite old footage?  I really don't want to go through the hud or bring it inside every time the card fills.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

49 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I have sunk a lot into them in mod's and really need to make sure I get every dollar out of insurance if some yahoo barrels into me.

the insurance company doesn't care about mods , your mods your problem.

if you dont like that then complain about it to the insurance company and see how much they care.

42 minutes ago, emosun said:

the insurance company doesn't care about mods , your mods your problem.

if you dont like that then complain about it to the insurance company and see how much they care.

Well someone peed in your coffee this morning, I don't remember claiming I wanted compensation for my mods.  In fact I keep everything I take off so I can replace it back to OEM and keep my mods..... weird.... almost like I already knew that.  Just wondering why you went out of your way for a combative/negative comment?

Have any useful information or just padding your comment count?

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

37 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I don't remember claiming I wanted compensation for my mods

2 hours ago, Psittac said:

really need to make sure I get every dollar out of insurance if some yahoo barrels into me.

alright

37 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Have any useful information or just padding your comment count?

yeah , unless you have a bespoke insurance company that covers above and beyond any normal insurance claim then they'll always pay you less than your vehicle was worth. Especially if it's a major insurance company. Even if you're clearly covered and not at fault they'll still try and get out of paying. They only really care about collecting money and never giving it back.

in short , the quality and number of cameras doesn't really matter when the company the footage is for actively doesn't care about paying.

But if you want to stick one on there as a placebo then I've been using the nextbase 320xr for the past several years. Seems to work fine and burns through memory cards like any other dashcam but I've caught plenty with it. Ive had other ones in the past but they liked to freeze or burn out , but this one stayed working at least.

My point is that chances are mods will get damaged and I will need every dollar I can get to replace it to where it was. It would be *nice to recoup, say, suspension parts damaged but it's not likely. I just can't have them claiming partial responsibility if it's not my fault 

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

16 hours ago, Psittac said:

Either way what would you recommend for a dash cam that has a rear facing camera (not an interior camera, separate rear).

I have one of the "VIOFO A229 Plus 2ch" cameras in my truck (2020 GMC Yukon XL), windshield mounted unit with built in screen and then a wired remote camera for the back.  They claim 1440P 30FPS for both cameras.  So far I haven't had any problems with it but my stereo triggers the accident detection so I tend to get a bunch of locked save files were it thinks something went wrong.  I would rather get false positives then to have it miss an actual crash though.  If I remember correctly I have a 512gb 256gb card in it and it records roughly 8-9 hours of video before it loops and starts to delete the older files.  It has an 18ft cord for the back camera so on my truck I had to run it above the headliner to get to the rear window as the cable wouldn't have been long enough to go down the door frame and along the floor.

Edited as I have a 256gb card in it and not a 512 to get the 8-9hours or recording and to add a photo.  It's probably the best you will get out of it, night, motion and bad weather obviously hamper the quality.  This is just a screen cap of the paused video while I was at the drivethrough and not a specific image from an event or anything.

Untitled.jpg

I have BlackVue in all three of my family's vehicles. They've been pretty good overall, but a bit pricey. Some nice features though.

I use a BlackVue DR900X 2 channel that I bought in 2020. I think it was a bit pricey, but the quality is good, and it seems to work fine. My only complaint is that it couldn't use the 1TB card I bought for it so I'm still using the 32GB one that came with it (I should have looked up compatibility for cards before buying, though).