Need help cable cutting (for my Dad)

Psittac

For year's my dad has been complaining about cable TV's high price but we haven't come up with a better solution for him.  Over the past couple of days we have been discussing it again and I've made a list of the thing's he needs to have access to and I'm going to do some research myself but figured that people here will come up with insight that I won't find on Google or Bing.

Plan is to get him some kind of casting device but for now let him use my Nvidia Shield.  I am open to streaming device suggestions but that's for another post.  If possible I would like to get this all on a trial for a week so that I can unplug his cable box for a week and see if he can still watch all the stuff he likes.

OH, and one of the biggest thing's is he will lose access to his DVR to record shows on CNBC plus the shows my mom records.  I guess I should make another post about that too.

The channels he likes are

A&E

Discovery

CNBC

Fox News

History Channel

Local News

So far I've got CNBC covered because they have a live app that I hope the shield will cast, but being able to record his shows would be a huge plus.

Local News is easy, just get an antenna and if needed a digital broadcast box

Discovery looks to be the most difficult because all I can find so far is logging in with your cable provider.

His TV is 1080p so no need for 4k but future proofing is a thing 😄

I have glanced at YouTube TV but the price tag is pretty hefty and just pushing the bucks to someone else esp considering he still needs internet, might consider the other craptastic IP centurylink to save some bucks

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

Probably just honestly get crummy laptop from ebay for like 60$ or 30$ just something with a semi-modern CPU at least gen 5 or upward. Make sure it has an HDMI port. Get charger, hookup a wireless keyboard, head over to google and type in " Free media heck ya " look at the wiki, install an ad-blocker or too. Violia let Dad watch all the shows he wants.

Or in your case for Nvidia shield, install a 3rd party browser like kiwi browser which allows you to install extensions, then head over to "heck ya"  and then bookmark it and let her rip

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

getting rid of cable is not as easy or cost effective as it once was IMO, depending on what range of things you watch.

Usually you will need youtube tv, fubo, sling, hulu, or one of the other main/large services in order to get any decent mix of those channels. there is almost always one channel missing that youll have to live without in order to get off of cable, or it will be an extra charge, or another service like discovery+ or whatever. If you want DVR, thats further limiting and adding to cost.

Also, youll be lucky to get most live tv streaming services in 720p, forget about 1080 or 4k. occasionally there may be a special channel here or there, like fox4k for sports or something, but 99% of the time its in a low bitrate 720p

As a cord-cutter myself and subscribing to YouTube TV since its inception, I'd recommend just sticking with cable. The costs across the board have been increasing consistently over the years with little value being added. In some instances, several stations have even been removed due to contract negotiations. YouTube TV does have DVR functionality that works well too but again, the price is high compared to the 25-30 I paid when I first got it.

Would definitely recommend vetting the over-the-air stations with an antenna first (I'm in an area that receives poor coverage) before cutting anything as well.

It sounds like you might also be losing a lot in terms of what your parents do. Another factor is ease-of-use. How tech-savy are they? Changing up how they consume their TV could lead to more calls to you or frustrations on their part.

If the only reason is cost-cutting - I don't think that's a strong case these days. Happy to be proven wrong by the other services but a lot to consider - hopefully others can offer their input.

Honestly, depending on their viewing habits they might be better off with a traditional, linear pay TV provider. (Especially if they make heavy use of the DVR, watch multiple channels from different media companies, or watch on demand video.)

Double check the bill and see what plan they're subscribed to, and what equipment they're renting. They could be on a legacy plan that's been replaced by one that's a better buy. If they're renting a cable modem, buying one will pay for itself in saved rental fees in under a year. If they're lucky enough to live in an area where they have multiple choices for non-satellite pay TV providers, consider switching.

I've tried to get my parents into streaming a few times, but my mom really doesn't like the way it turns TV from a "watch what's on now or tape something to watch later" experience into a "pick something to watch" one. She always asks "well how do I know what's on?" or "then how do I know where everything is?", which snowballs into a "well then if I want to watch [some show] that's only on [some platform] then I need to subscribe to that too and before you know it you've got all these subscriptions that cost more than cable does!". They have their cable plan and their DVR, and they're fine with that. (They don't even have the kind of remote boxes that hook into the DVR, the second box in the kitchen is a standard def analog relic that's connected to a 19" flatscreen so everything they watch ends up pillarboxed or postage-stamped...) Maybe a Plex server loaded with our collective physical media collection could move the needle, but then the argument I get is "then why don't I just get the DVD out" even though browsing Plex is no different from browsing the media cabinet! (Luddites... What are you gonna do?)

1 hour ago, matt0725 said:

getting rid of cable is not as easy or cost effective as it once was IMO, depending on what range of things you watch.

Usually you will need youtube tv, fubo, sling, hulu, or one of the other main/large services in order to get any decent mix of those channels. there is almost always one channel missing that youll have to live without in order to get off of cable, or it will be an extra charge, or another service like discovery+ or whatever. If you want DVR, thats further limiting and adding to cost.

Also, youll be lucky to get most live tv streaming services in 720p, forget about 1080 or 4k. occasionally there may be a special channel here or there, like fox4k for sports or something, but 99% of the time its in a low bitrate 720p

Yeah, the streaming market has been too fractured ever since the established media conglomerates all decided they were going to run their own Netflix / Hulu.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

Probably just honestly get crummy laptop from ebay for like 60$ or 30$ just something with a semi-modern CPU at least gen 5 or upward. Make sure it has an HDMI port. Get charger, hookup a wireless keyboard, head over to google and type in " Free media heck ya " look at the wiki, install an ad-blocker or too. Violia let Dad watch all the shows he wants.

Or in your case for Nvidia shield, install a 3rd party browser like kiwi browser which allows you to install extensions, then head over to "heck ya"  and then bookmark it and let her rip

I'm not a fan of ad-blocking and that whole genre to a point, certainly not something that I would put my parent's into.  I have been known to run VM's and server's myself and plex to my family but putting it all in their hands sounds dangerous on many fronts.  Nice concept for a college kid, not two people in their 60's.

6 hours ago, matt0725 said:

Well they're paying 300+ right now which is atroscious and every time they try to call they aren't given the respect they deserve.  IE: They have been with this cable company since it was a completely different company.  Cable companies are predatory by nature and they give them the run around, offer plans that are MINIMAL reductions in cost and Huge in cut's to what they use.  The rep's at these companies don't want that mark on their record of a downgrade because it looks bad, funny how listening to the customer and giving them the best thing for them is frowned upon.  But hey..... it has worked for 30+ years on this customer so canceling them entirely is nothing more than one black mark on one sales reps day.  I wasn't aware of the poor quality, but honestly I don't think my parent's would ever notice, Getting my dad off of his legit broken CRT TV ontop of a TV required buying a flat screen and putting it in the livingroom unopened so he had the idea in his head and then opening it and hooking it up while he was away which lead to a shit storm.  (my dad HATES change almost as much as he HATES spending money).  Though he has gotten better in the last several years.  Thank you very much for the information.

5 hours ago, FrozenIpaq said:

As a cord-cutter myself and subscribing to YouTube TV since its inception, I'd recommend just sticking with cable. The costs across the board have been increasing consistently over the years with little value being added. In some instances, several stations have even been removed due to contract negotiations. YouTube TV does have DVR functionality that works well too but again, the price is high compared to the 25-30 I paid when I first got it.

Would definitely recommend vetting the over-the-air stations with an antenna first (I'm in an area that receives poor coverage) before cutting anything as well.

It sounds like you might also be losing a lot in terms of what your parents do. Another factor is ease-of-use. How tech-savy are they? Changing up how they consume their TV could lead to more calls to you or frustrations on their part.

If the only reason is cost-cutting - I don't think that's a strong case these days. Happy to be proven wrong by the other services but a lot to consider - hopefully others can offer their input.

As I mentioned in my reply before this one, they are paying $300+/mo so there is ALOT of room for improvement. They get no where with customer reps *cough*fuhq*comcast*cough so the $75/mo is almost nothing, could even do two of them at that price and still have room for internet and still save money.  These legacy companies are a holes to be honest, I guess all big companies can be and when it gets put on the little guy, the sales rep to keep them paying there is NO reason to accomidate the request to downsize a customers bill to just what they need.  As to being tech savy, they aren't in the slightest, however they have been able to use an Xbox as a media console and have a Roku as well which they have been able to navigate.  I think that if everything was put into one remote they could cope so long as I could find a DVR function.  My dad is always working (with me) when his favorite CNBC show comes on so I'm going to see if their app has a built in streaming/DVR function.  The rest I believe he will be willing to adapt to.  I do remember broadcast TV being an issue but for the life of me I can't remember where I was when attempting to get those channels during the big switch from analogue to digital.  I have loooooooooong since sworn off broadcast anything sans the radio when I'm driving.  Thank you very much for the information.

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Honestly, depending on their viewing habits they might be better off with a traditional, linear pay TV provider. (Especially if they make heavy use of the DVR, watch multiple channels from different media companies, or watch on demand video.)

Double check the bill and see what plan they're subscribed to, and what equipment they're renting. They could be on a legacy plan that's been replaced by one that's a better buy. If they're renting a cable modem, buying one will pay for itself in saved rental fees in under a year. If they're lucky enough to live in an area where they have multiple choices for non-satellite pay TV providers, consider switching.

I've tried to get my parents into streaming a few times, but my mom really doesn't like the way it turns TV from a "watch what's on now or tape something to watch later" experience into a "pick something to watch" one. She always asks "well how do I know what's on?" or "then how do I know where everything is?", which snowballs into a "well then if I want to watch [some show] that's only on [some platform] then I need to subscribe to that too and before you know it you've got all these subscriptions that cost more than cable does!". They have their cable plan and their DVR, and they're fine with that. (They don't even have the kind of remote boxes that hook into the DVR, the second box in the kitchen is a standard def analog relic that's connected to a 19" flatscreen so everything they watch ends up pillarboxed or postage-stamped...) Maybe a Plex server loaded with our collective physical media collection could move the needle, but then the argument I get is "then why don't I just get the DVD out" even though browsing Plex is no different from browsing the media cabinet! (Luddites... What are you gonna do?)

Yeah, the streaming market has been too fractured ever since the established media conglomerates all decided they were going to run their own Netflix / Hulu.

They're paying a HUGE amount, $300+/mo and get nowhere with the company when they try to reduce it, smallest guy in the company IE the sales rep doesn't want that mark on their day.  Also the IP is an ahole because they will always claim a false issue with a modem that you purchased yourself and nothing works until you've replaced it, I've been down this rabbit hole and is another reason that I hate these IP's.  I did actually get ONE guy that was smart and went into my non-IP provided router at my house and this dude knew wtf he was doing, he asked me about a VPN that for some reason a friend built into my router and he fixed it but I think he locked me out of the router.  I'm not savy enough to understand but will soon be redoing my entire network as I now have ethernet wired throughout my entire basement.  Anyways I'm probably going to ditch this company entirely at my parent's because of the years of dihqatry and am waiting and praying for a viable alternative at my house.  There is only one non-satellite TV provider here.  But I'm rather confident that an all encompassing solution with the proper boxes will work for them.  My dad can't even turn his computer off at night because he doesn't want to get back to where he was the night before.  My mom is better and seeing as Quick Assist is a thing I can manage their computers a little bit.  They have learned to use my old AVR a little and have used an Xbox and Roku for streaming so I'm sure that when push comes to shove they can figure it out.  Thank you very much for the information and thoughts.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

14 hours ago, Psittac said:

Discovery

Discovery+ is like $4.99 a month I think. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 1/9/2024 at 2:10 AM, Psittac said:

[Snip]

$300 is a lot for Cable - I'm assuming that could be Cable and Internet (or even Cable, Internet and Phone). Most plans in my are $70 for adding on TV for the introductory deals. It's also fairly common for households to switch providers every 2 years to a competitor to lock in on deals that are offered - there's no benefit in sticking with a cable company over an extended period of time unless it is the only one in your area. 

You're still going to be paying for Internet from one of these companies and will still have to deal with the whole modem/router troubleshooting nonsense but you may have better luck with a new provider overall. 

SlingTV is better priced than YouTube TV as well - I would say see if you could do a trial of that and see if it meets the needs. Trials are probably the way to go as you'll be able to experience the interface and DVR functions.

My biggest gripe with YouTube TV is still the interface - for a non-tech savy person it can be annoying at times. 

On 1/9/2024 at 2:10 AM, Psittac said:

They're paying a HUGE amount, $300+/mo and get nowhere with the company

When it come to saving money cord cutting. Sacrifices need to be made. The way my family does it saves money. 1) I have a Plex server that I use to record Live OTA TV. The Plex server also works to distribute that Live TV thru out the house, we get 50 some stations, mostly Bull shit, but its free. 2) Only pay for the streaming you need. So for example I subbed to Netflix so my mom can watch The Crown and I could watch Rebel Moon, but I watched several movies and shows. Once Im done with the Netflix content I will unsub and find another service. I tend to keep 2 or 3 services with one being Prime because of shipping.

The one thing is, any type of service that offers "Local Broadcasts" at least here in the US is going to be expensive AF. I subbed to PS Vue before Sony killed it and Hulu Live and both services increased prices multiple times. As long as you stay with the VOD style streaming services you tend to get a better price. Some times these services will run specials on Semi Annual and Annual subs.

Another way we also saved money is we dropped home phone service and just went to cellular only. It works out because my folks pay Comcast and I pay for the streaming and T Mobile. So we share the burden.

Honestly it sounds like he just wants cable tv

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

10 hours ago, FrozenIpaq said:

$300 is a lot for Cable - I'm assuming that could be Cable and Internet (or even Cable, Internet and Phone). Most plans in my are $70 for adding on TV for the introductory deals. It's also fairly common for households to switch providers every 2 years to a competitor to lock in on deals that are offered - there's no benefit in sticking with a cable company over an extended period of time unless it is the only one in your area. 

You're still going to be paying for Internet from one of these companies and will still have to deal with the whole modem/router troubleshooting nonsense but you may have better luck with a new provider overall. 

SlingTV is better priced than YouTube TV as well - I would say see if you could do a trial of that and see if it meets the needs. Trials are probably the way to go as you'll be able to experience the interface and DVR functions.

My biggest gripe with YouTube TV is still the interface - for a non-tech savy person it can be annoying at times. 

It's for internet and cable, the only other service provider for internet is centurylink and the only other broadcast is satellite.  So they're basically stuck and Comcast knows it.  They've been a customer since day 1 of Comcast being here because they were customers of TCL when they were bought out.  Comcast doesn't give two sheets about customer loyalty.  TCL used to be great at taking care of their customers.  That's why I'm not even going to keep them for internet, they don't game and Centurylink will do everything they need for a cheaper price.  I'll consider the modem thing when we switch.  Once I have everything figured out the trial route will be important.

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

When it come to saving money cord cutting. Sacrifices need to be made. The way my family does it saves money. 1) I have a Plex server that I use to record Live OTA TV. The Plex server also works to distribute that Live TV thru out the house, we get 50 some stations, mostly Bull shit, but its free. 2) Only pay for the streaming you need. So for example I subbed to Netflix so my mom can watch The Crown and I could watch Rebel Moon, but I watched several movies and shows. Once Im done with the Netflix content I will unsub and find another service. I tend to keep 2 or 3 services with one being Prime because of shipping.

The one thing is, any type of service that offers "Local Broadcasts" at least here in the US is going to be expensive AF. I subbed to PS Vue before Sony killed it and Hulu Live and both services increased prices multiple times. As long as you stay with the VOD style streaming services you tend to get a better price. Some times these services will run specials on Semi Annual and Annual subs.

Another way we also saved money is we dropped home phone service and just went to cellular only. It works out because my folks pay Comcast and I pay for the streaming and T Mobile. So we share the burden.

When I get my full on network setup and have a server again I'll look at turning Plex on, will need to make a post about a new server because my old Dell's suck down the juice and kick out the heat while making a crap ton of noise.  We have streaming services like disney+ and netflix covered though so I'm not worried about that.  My dad is really stuck on his broadcast style of consumption but maybe with a good media box that offers him broadcast AND VOD he will get used to something else.  Problem with dropping the phone is we need it for the family business, so a landline is required, but luckily enough my dad fell for a quasi scam where someone said they were from the provider he was using then convinced him to try "a new plan" and now some random company has the phone number and we're paying them, so comcast can eat it on the phone portion if not everything.

40 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Yeah he really does, but the price is completely beyond reason.  And because of all of these years I'm going to convince him to tell Comcast to stick it somewhere unpleasant even if they offer him a killer deal.  I just need to get a number together of what it would cost for him to cut his cable out of the equation and after a trial to see if it works for them, then pull the trigger.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

AS others have said, he wants cable TV, but not pay the price for it.

Now an alternative could be going with a different ISP, and some of them offer tv packages through a streaming app.

This would be cheaper than the cable companies, and offer similar servives.

So you would need something like a apple TV or a roku or something like that.

Then he would keep his recording and still be able to connect to local streaming services for those news sites.

Here in Canada there is this option, maybe where you live its similar.

https://www.teksavvy.com/services/television/

57 minutes ago, dkoudijs said:

Now an alternative could be going with a different ISP, and some of them offer tv packages through a

The OP is located in the US. I have the same provider. Much of the US you have one good option for internet. And maybe a DSL provider. Outside of that you get Satellite or Cellular internet. Comcast is that one good option most likely. 

On 1/10/2024 at 10:40 AM, Donut417 said:

The one thing is, any type of service that offers "Local Broadcasts" at least here in the US is going to be expensive AF.

If you want your local stations, get an HDHomeRun. Some of those are even DVRs! (ATSC 3 DVR functionality may vary, depending on whether your local stations implemented DRM.)

15 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Exactly. Unfortunately, streaming will never be a 1:1 replacement for linear TV.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

you want your local stations, get an HDHomeRun. Some of those are even DVRs! (ATSC 3 DVR functionality may vary, depending on whether your local stations implemented DRM.)

1) many can’t get reliable signal 

2) many stations are now implementing DRM now, this will effect how you can record and how long you have those recordings as well as when you can watch. 

3) Unless you pay for the  Plex membership you will have a subscription for guide data. Because all free DVR solutions don’t include it and HD Homerun doesn’t include it. 

I use 

1- External antenna

2- Chromecast - Plex, Tubi, YouTube

With these I can satisfy all my watching for free.

When the ads start … I go for the john, make a fresh cup of coffee …

With 300$/mo I can get a nice vacation. I am more inclined to read news than watch TV though.