Need a hand troubleshooting RAM-related BSODs on a new system

Go to solution Solved by Sjaakie,

6400 is very ambitious, most likely the cpu mem controller cant handle that. Just turn it a bit lower and see if that revolves it. Try 6000.

AMD only guarantees up to 5200 on that chip, above that you need to be lucky. Though 5600  / 6000 is usually fine.

Hey!

Posting here in hopes there's someone who can help me figure out what's going on with my new system.

I put this configuration together a couple of days ago:

• AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU w/ Arctic Freezer e34 Sports Duo fan
  • MSI B650 Tomahawk WiFi Mobo (BIOS updated to version 7D75v1B)
  • Corsair Vengeance 2x32GB CL32 DDR5 6400MHz
  • 750W BeQuiet! Pure Power 12 M
  • No graphics card at the moment
  • Win11 Pro

All drivers installed an updated, and PC performed fine with no errors or crashes.

Day 3, went into BIOS and enabled XMP (or A-XMP, I don't remember what MSI calls it without looking), computer continued to work fine under low or medium loads.
Today had some automated stuff to put through Photoshop, which I guess would fall under the heavier load category, and after about 3h of this, the computer slowed down (very little, but noticable to me), which I attributed to my totally legit version of Ps, and so I rebooted to reset it.

The PC would post but not load Windows, just stayed on the black screen, so I reset it.

Started getting BSODs, in order, and with the following error codes:

• IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL 4-5 times, I believe it mentioned application ntoskrnl.exe
  • IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL once with amdkmdag.sys listed as what had failed
  • Kmode Exception Not Handled once
  • MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 2 or 3 times, before I gave up and reseated the RAM sticks, swapping them around in the process

The BSODs continued until I disabled XMP, and that only worked on 2nd try - first try, BIOS ui froze up the moment I clicked on XMP.

I have no clue where to start testing or investigating this issue because I'm more or less new to this whole thing.
But this is as much detail as I can remember, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction of how to tackle this.

Thanks in advance
El

6400 is very ambitious, most likely the cpu mem controller cant handle that. Just turn it a bit lower and see if that revolves it. Try 6000.

AMD only guarantees up to 5200 on that chip, above that you need to be lucky. Though 5600  / 6000 is usually fine.

12 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

Thank you Sjaakie, this is very helpful info.

Let me try 6000 and see what happens. If it continues to BSOD, I'll lower it further.

Best,

El