Would I need to "rebuild" my system if I were to get a high-end Nvidia or AMD GPU?

Go to solution Solved by filpo,
8 minutes ago, ActualGem said:

I'm planning on getting a multi-monitor setup (1440p)

multiple monitors at 1440p? You should be fine with your current setup then to get a 4070 or 7800 XT. Then maybe get a better case, better psu, more storage or better cpu cooler with the rest of the budget

Budget (including currency): ~$600 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: F1 games, Asseto Corsa, R6, Cyberpunk, Warframe / VLSI/ASIC design tools

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Currently running a Ryzen 7 3700x w/ 32 GB RAM paired with a Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 @ 1440p 144hz. While the Vega has been holding its own at this resolution, I've felt it struggles to keep up with newer titles. I'm planning on getting a multi-monitor setup (1440p) for when I build a racing sim rig and I know that the Vega will just be outclassed by then. I've been trying to nail down exactly what GPU would be the best to pair with the 3700x but I've been getting a lot of conflicting remarks in my research. Looking to push high settings on most games with at least 100fps min.

I feel like the 4070/7800xt might be the best option but just want some additional opinions and insight. 

8 minutes ago, ActualGem said:

I'm planning on getting a multi-monitor setup (1440p)

multiple monitors at 1440p? You should be fine with your current setup then to get a 4070 or 7800 XT. Then maybe get a better case, better psu, more storage or better cpu cooler with the rest of the budget

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Nah should be fine

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

I think you are leaving out some important information about your system to determine if you need to upgrade or not.  IE: Motherboard and Case: The 4070 and 7800xt support PCI x 4.0 while your current Vega only supports 3.0.  So the question is does your motherboard support 4.0 .. and is your case long enough to support the dimensions of either of the two new video cards (nothing in the way_ hard drive bays.. etc... )  Anyway .. you can compare video cards here:

RTX 4070 vs RX 7800 Userbenchmark Real world stats.

The mixed reviews you get are generally : Nvidia have more support and more stable drivers than AMD.  Performance wise the AMD 4070 eeks out the 7800 but if your having issues with drivers and lockups than that extra eek of power doesn't do you any good.  Either one seems like a good deal though.

You most likely wont hit 100fps min with a 3700x in Assetto Corsa competizione. 5800x3d should do that with 6700xt if you lower graphical settings.

3 minutes ago, YeahTech said:

I think you are leaving out some important information about your system to determine if you need to upgrade or not.  IE: Motherboard and Case: The 4070 and 7800xt support PCI x 4.0 while your current Vega only supports 3.0.  So the question is does your motherboard support 4.0 .. and is your case long enough to support the dimensions of either of the two new video cards (nothing in the way_ hard drive bays.. etc... )  Anyway .. you can compare video cards here:

The mixed reviews you get are generally : Nvidia have more support and more stable drivers than AMD.  Performance wise the AMD 4070 eeks out the 7800 but if your having issues with drivers and lockups than that extra eek of power doesn't do you any good.  Either one seems like a good deal though.

4070 and 7800xt handle pcie3 just fine. And the driver stuff... Just dont.

Whats your current psu make and model?

And other specs?

1 hour ago, YeahTech said:

I’m on a Asus Prime X470 Pro atm. 99.9% sure my case is big enough

58 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Whats your current psu make and model?

And other specs?

EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze ( p sure it’s the B3)