Starting my new build from the base.

Tizzle128

Hello Everyone,

First time posting here, :blink:

i have followed lots of builds, lots of videos and just never registered until recently.

My recent computer of about 4 years died on me . I7-860, so until i can save up im stuck with an old q6600 in a P.O.S. Apevia case. Nothing wrong with Apevia personally just about 10 plus years old, Was used for 3 separate builds. I am wanting to plan out this build exactly how i want it, little more thought then previous ones, and i thought i would start with a case.

I have seen tons of reviews, unboxings, etc.... on cases and am sorta stuck between going with Corsair or NZXT. I dont plan on doing anything extreme, just dont have the money, so i was leaning towards just a standard full tower, so i can use a closed loop liquid cooler.

I wanted to see the communities opinions on a good case as this will be my first none Apevia case i have ever used. I am sure i did not provide enough information for a specific answer but i am hoping this will at least help me get thinking were i need to on the case.

You don't need a full tower for a closed loop cooler.

There are plenty matx and mid tower cases that have mounting options for such coolers.

Corsair and NZXT both have solid cases. It would help to know what components you're using, where you're shopping/located, and your budget.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I want to start off by offering a warm welcome to the LTT community. Once you come in, you will never leave.  :ph34r:

What motherboard are you looking at for this build? The mainboard's form factor filters out what cases are compatible with the build.

welcome, you can go wrong with either corsair or nzxt but case picking is something individually go with whatever you like best for example i prefer the clean look that the obsidians offer

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

I know this will get some bashing for saying, i had always wanted to build an AMD spider system, being that is pointless i was leaning towards an FX-8350 build with a standard ATX MB , i plan on doing dual GPU's just havnt decided if im going NVidia or AMD, wife hates anytime i go AMD, currently using a GTX 650, budget is not something i have set yet as i will probably grab parts here and there until i can build it completely, paycheck to paycheck living is a pain, only other option is to wait till tax season next year...... which i would rather die then be stuck with this Q6600 that long i mostly play MMO's so the like ultimate extreme crap isnt for me not that competitive. but i do some video transcoding no editing or anything so really i think the AMD setup will work great for me, but im open to suggestions on everything honestly.

Also i was leaning towards full tower in case i do decide to do a custom cooling loop if i get the overclock bug.

I know this will get some bashing for saying, i had always wanted to build an AMD spider system, being that is pointless i was leaning towards an FX-8350 build with a standard ATX MB , i plan on doing dual GPU's just havnt decided if im going NVidia or AMD, wife hates anytime i go AMD, currently using a GTX 650, budget is not something i have set yet as i will probably grab parts here and there until i can build it completely, paycheck to paycheck living is a pain, only other option is to wait till tax season next year...... which i would rather die then be stuck with this Q6600 that long i mostly play MMO's so the like ultimate extreme crap isnt for me not that competitive. but i do some video transcoding no editing or anything so really i think the AMD setup will work great for me, but im open to suggestions on everything honestly.

Also i was leaning towards full tower in case i do decide to do a custom cooling loop if i get the overclock bug.

I'd suggest saving up and buying everything at once if possible. Tech gets better with time and it's good to be able to test if a part is defective and to have the system planned as a whole if possible. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'd suggest saving up and buying everything at once if possible. Tech gets better with time and it's good to be able to test if a part is defective and to have the system planned as a whole if possible. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them. 

Sorry about that, see at least i proved im a noob around here. I may end up doing the saving thing, in all honesty knowing my luck something will happen and i wont be able to save up until tax season and by then probably all my plans would be worth nothing to begin with. I will say i dont plan on buying something top of the line or fresh off the assembly line like i did when i got the 860, way to disappointed in it. my plan is to buy current tech for now but shortly in the future. the main game i play is 15 years old so its not like it requires a beast but being able to play newer stuff is nice.

I want to start off by offering a warm welcome to the LTT community. Once you come in, you will never leave.  :ph34r:

What motherboard are you looking at for this build? The mainboard's form factor filters out what cases are compatible with the build.

I was thinking of going with the following components but i am still open to consideration

Considering the NZXT Phantom 630 without window

Amd FX-8350 Black

Asus Sabertooth 990fx

16 gb corsair vengence 1866 ram

Kingston v300 240gb ssd

WD 4tb Green for storage

havnt decided on graphics, PSU or CL Water cooler yet

Mmmm...A Define R4 (color and window are purely your choice), a Source 210, or a 450/550D sound like your best options.

Yeah, go with a Source 210 Elite or a Source 220 for the case. Try a Corsair CX/CS Semi-Modular for the PSU, but I think a watercooler is a bit overkill for a first time/budget-ish build.

Also, I recommend using PCPartPicker for compatibility, if you aren't yet using it. It will save you time and will [probably] decrease your rate of incompatibility by around 80%. 

Yeah, go with a Source 210 Elite or a Source 220 for the case. Try a Corsair CX/CS Semi-Modular for the PSU, but I think a watercooler is a bit overkill for a first time/budget-ish build.

Also, I recommend using PCPartPicker for compatibility, if you aren't yet using it. It will save you time and will [probably] decrease your rate of incompatibility by around 80%.

Definitely not a first build been building for years, just never gaming oriented. but I want to have a good base for expansion. I do plan on future overclocking as well as expanded storage and multiple gpus. I appreciate the suggestion on the site I have never heard of it. I will definitely take a look at it gives me some extra tools. I come from the school of trial and error. Lol really appreciate all the help.