ASUS motherboard won't boot into BIOS

The problem:

After I used GParted to format my drive, suddenly nothing wants to boot. The BIOS key doesn’t seem to work, only the BIOS POST key (so the keyboard works, and it does respond to the input), but that only gets to listing the specs. I have already tried removing the CMOS battery, unplugging the drives, only leaving a USB drive with SystemRescue on it, but nothing boots. Also, when I just leave it to boot, it just stalls on the ASUS logo forever.

Specs:

If you formatted your boot drive that would mean there is nothing for the system to boot into, bios key should be DELETE, on older boards I believe you could also do F2 or Esc but not positive on that, try holding it on power up instead of spamming the button if that's what you're doing. F8 for ASUS should also open the boot menu so try that as well.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

11 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If you formatted your boot drive that would mean there is nothing for the system to boot into, bios key should be DELETE, on older boards I believe you could also do F2 or Esc but not positive on that, try holding it on power up instead of spamming the button if that's what you're doing. F8 for ASUS should also open the boot menu so try that as well.

Thanks, I will try that

20 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

So, I tried it and nothing happened...
Then I installed a Linux distro on a SSD and put it into the server, but it did not boot.

Now, when I start the server it have stucked in a boot loop and when I spam/or hold the buttons that you mentioned it freezes and shows a colored bar on the top of the screen.

47 minutes ago, MrFr4nk0 said:

So, I tried it and nothing happened...
Then I installed a Linux distro on a SSD and put it into the server, but it did not boot.

Now, when I start the server it have stucked in a boot loop and when I spam/or hold the buttons that you mentioned it freezes and shows a colored bar on the top of the screen.

I would try a different keyboard, if possible, wired specifically if you have been trying to use a wireless. I see that the keyboard is working for the most part but just in case. I'd say if that doesn't work with what you have tried try doing a CMOS reset and if that still doesn't fix the issues I'd say the bios on that board is messed up.

Is this a system that has been working fine for you up until this point? Have been able to enter into the bios before?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

I would try a different keyboard, if possible, wired specifically if you have been trying to use a wireless. I see that the keyboard is working for the most part but just in case. I'd say if that doesn't work with what you have tried try doing a CMOS reset and if that still doesn't fix the issues I'd say the bios on that board is messed up.

Is this a system that has been working fine for you up until this point? Have been able to enter into the bios before?

I have tried with another keyboard some time ago, but I will try it again. I even tried with a USB to PS/2 adapter in case the problem is with the USB ports.

The system has been working; I have installed Linux distros multiple times on it. However, when I last formatted the drive, it broke. The BIOS was working before the last installation.

I tried CMOS reset both ways, by removing the battery and by shorting the circuit multiple times.

7 hours ago, MrFr4nk0 said:

I have tried with another keyboard some time ago, but I will try it again. I even tried with a USB to PS/2 adapter in case the problem is with the USB ports.

The system has been working; I have installed Linux distros multiple times on it. However, when I last formatted the drive, it broke. The BIOS was working before the last installation.

I tried CMOS reset both ways, by removing the battery and by shorting the circuit multiple times.

Unfortunately I'd say it sounds like a motherboard issue.

5 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Unfortunately I'd say it sounds like a motherboard issue.

That's what I thought, but I needed to hear someone else's opinion before I throw them out.

I don't have any experience with server hardware, can you recommend any motherboard or just go with something decently prized?

2 minutes ago, MrFr4nk0 said:

That's what I thought, but I needed to hear someone else's opinion before I throw them out.

I don't have any experience with server hardware, can you recommend any motherboard or just go with something decently prized?

I don't have a lot experience with server grade hardware myself, and the stuff that I have dealt with is much more current. Anything of the proper socket type that is compatible with your CPU and other components should work. I'd honestly just go with the most decently priced one in your situation, if it were me personally I wouldn't put money into hardware this dated.

7 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I don't have a lot experience with server grade hardware myself, and the stuff that I have dealt with is much more current. Anything of the proper socket type that is compatible with your CPU and other components should work. I'd honestly just go with the most decently priced one in your situation, if it were me personally I wouldn't put money into hardware this dated.

I want to run a NAS and a jellyfin server, and this was the best option for the price.

I didn't want to spend more than $200 on it. With this config I'm currently around $150, so I have $50 to spend on another motherboard.

I live in Hungary which is quite a small country, and it's hard to find good deals.

Except the motherboard I'm fully satisfied with the product I got for the money.

Other options like a Synology NAS costs way more than $450 which is way over my budget.

3 hours ago, MrFr4nk0 said:

I want to run a NAS and a jellyfin server, and this was the best option for the price.

I didn't want to spend more than $200 on it. With this config I'm currently around $150, so I have 50$ to spend on another motherboard.

I live in Hungary which is quite a small country, and it's hard to find good deals.

Except the the motherboard I'm fully satisfied with the product I got for the money.

Other options like a Synology NAS costs way more than $450 which was way over my budget.

I found a Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 used for around $35, ironically with DualBIOS technology, so hopefully I won't run into any more problems with the BIOS. 😄 

Will it be a good buy, or should I search for something else instead?

1 hour ago, MrFr4nk0 said:

I found a Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 used for around $35, ironically with DualBIOS technology, so hopefully I won't run into any more problems with the BIOS. 😄 

Will it be a good buy, or should I search for something else instead?

Like I said, not sure on the older stuff. server grade stuff is usually pretty solid, simply google searching the board you can most likely find reviews. Gigabyte is usually pretty good. Keep in mind, it's dated hardware not a ton of people have specific experience with so reviews and experiences with the parts are going to be less common than consumer grade components.