Is my AIO too HOT?

FireEagle244

I just got an NZXT Kraken 360mm White RGB AIO and I have it installed on a Ryzen 7 5700x. I am using HWiNFO for temps and also have "Fan Xpert 4" installed through Asus's AI Suite and NZXT CAM installed. My CPU Temps are between 40-60c when Idle while NZXT CAM is reporting that the liquid is 31c.

I don't know if I need to take the Cooler back off and apply some of my own thermal paste (I used what was pre-installed on the cooler) 

I have the Header that comes off the AIO plugged into the CPU_FAN header on my Asus Prime B550-Plus Motherboard with the fan speed set to 100% (I can plug it into the AIO_PUMP header but it looks better and is easier to use the CPU_FAN header).

Any Help or suggestions are Welcome, Thanks!

tEmGUzcr1i.png

IMG20231225225720.jpg

Edited by FireEagle244
typo

Looks normal for a 5700x to me. Why do you think it's too hot? If your avrage temps are not +80c when running games for an hour then you're not too hot. Also I would recomment debloating your OS by permanently uninstalling all ASUS, NZXT, and any other hardware utlility and manufacturers' tools. They're generally just useless and either do nothing or cause trouble from time to time. All you need to monitor your hardware is HWinfo.

6 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Looks normal for a 5700x to me. Why do you think it's too hot?

I was expecting it to be in the 30s based on my friends' computers. (to be fair, they don't have a 5700x, but still.) 
It's also not too far off the Air Cooler that I had on it. Are these temps what I should've been expecting?

6 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

I would recomment debloating your OS by permanently uninstalling all ASUS, NZXT, and any other hardware utlility and manufacturers' tools. They're generally just useless and either do nothing or cause trouble from time to time. All you need to monitor your hardware is HWinfo.

I might uninstall the ASUS. Depends on if I can get it to do what I want with the CPU_FAN header staying at 100% all the time. The NZXT is for the screen on the AIO.

11 minutes ago, FireEagle244 said:

I was expecting it to be in the 30s based on my friends' computers. (to be fair, they don't have a 5700x, but still.) 
It's also not too far off the Air Cooler that I had on it. Are these temps what I should've been expecting?

CPU model, room temp, type of thermal paste... There are many reasons as to why you're not getting the exact same temps as your friend. What an AIO is meant for is to get ahead of violent temp spikes on very hot chips.  Your idle isn't really what matters unless avraging at much higher, but if that would be the case then you would be running very hot in games too. You just need to make sure your avrage temps while gaming aren't +80c.

11 minutes ago, FireEagle244 said:

I might uninstall the ASUS. Depends on if I can get it to do what I want with the CPU_FAN header staying at 100% all the time. The NZXT is for the screen on the AIO.

27 minutes ago, FireEagle244 said:

I have the Header that comes off the AIO plugged into the CPU_FAN header on my Asus Prime B550-Plus Motherboard with the fan speed set to 100% (I can plug it into the AIO_PUMP header but it looks better and is easier to use the CPU_FAN header).

This bit I'm not sure what you're refering to. You should use the CPU_FAN for the main AIO fan wire, and the AIO_PUMP for the separate AIO wire if your AIO has one. Some AIO coolers like the ARCTIC LFII just come with one wire that goes in the CPU_FAN.

Regardless, you should uninstall those bloatware apps, and set your fan curves in BIOS for all fans to get less noise or just leave it on auto if you're not sure how to do that for now. Your fan speed adjustments should ideally always be done in BIOS.

29 minutes ago, FireEagle244 said:

why should an aio have lower temps than an aircooler to begin with? in fact that's not guaranteed at all. also consider that unoptimized software like NZXT cam can massively contribute to higher system temps than normal. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

why should an aio have lower temps than an aircooler to begin with? in fact that's not guaranteed at all. also consider that unoptimized software like NZXT cam can massively contribute to higher system temps than normal. 

That's true. It depends on what you/I are comparing it to and under what circumstances. Under load, it is cooler, and I suppose if I had a horrible cooler, to begin with, I would see a larger improvement in temps.

The main reason that I thought it should be lower was the difference in the Liquid Temperature (~31c) and the CPU Temperature (44c-60c). I guess that has to do with the thermal conductivity between the CPU and the Cooler, and the speed of the water flowing through it (and the water's ability to remove the heat from the heat sink/block).

On 12/26/2023 at 12:18 AM, FireEagle244 said:

Armoury Crate sucks because Fan Xpert takes control of your fans and overrides everything else. If you're happy with what it's doing, that's fine, though. Just make sure to use the uninstall tool from Asus because even if you install it normally the Motherboard Fan Control program will remain installed and will not "share" the fans.

Honestly, the only thing I really value about AAC is the update feature but I turned off start at boot so it didn't really help. I still remember how to browse to Asus to download updates! 😆 🤣 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 12/26/2023 at 6:49 AM, Mark Kaine said:

why should an aio have lower temps than an aircooler to begin with? 

At load it would be things like: 
bigger surface area
more access to fresh air
push / pull benefits 

water conducts heat better 

On 12/26/2023 at 7:58 AM, FireEagle244 said:

That's true. It depends on what you/I are comparing it to and under what circumstances. Under load, it is cooler, and I suppose if I had a horrible cooler, to begin with, I would see a larger improvement in temps.

At idle AIOs might not beat aircoolers

but

NO1 cares about idle temps (as long as their not 90++c)