Let's stop the "Hyperthreading does nothing for gaming lol" lies.

Ehem, recommended specifications are a 3770k, that implies that it is threaded for 8 logical cores.

Also those recommended specs are not true in any way. Official specs indicate only an "AMD 6-core or Intel 4-core CPU"

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Also those recommended specs are not true in any way. Official specs indicate only an "AMD 6-core or Intel 4-core CPU"

Um, what specs are you reading?

If you would kindly go to...anything at all, the recommended specs are an 8350 or a 3770k, and the "Ultra Settings" spec is a 9590 or an i7 extreme...

• Recommended:
    • OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.) 
    • Processor: Eight core - Intel Core i7-3770 @3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 X8 @ 4 GHz 
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM 
    • Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850 
    • DirectX: Version 11 
    • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space 
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers 
    • Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode. Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

Um, what specs are you reading?

If you would kindly go to...anything at all, the recommended specs are an 8350 or a 3770k, and the "Ultra Settings" spec is a 9590 or an i7 extreme...

• Recommended:
    • OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.) 
    • Processor: Eight core - Intel Core i7-3770 @3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 X8 @ 4 GHz 
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM 
    • Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850 
    • DirectX: Version 11 
    • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space 
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers 
    • Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode. Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

Okay clearly there was some miscommunication on my part there, sorry about that. I thought you were referring to Battlefield 4, and those are different specs entirely. What game is that?

Fortunately for me, none of my arguments depend on that :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

hyper-threading will be a deal breaker in next gen games up until directX12 low level API release, many games already spawn more than 4 somewhat heavy-threads

and they will continue to require more and more processing to be done at once...the core i5 is already seing 95% load in many modern multiplayer games, on assumption

we can assume that this CPU can't give much more than that in terms of processing power for gaming.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'd like all of you who think hyperthreading makes a difference in Battlefield 4 to take a look at this: http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Look at how close an i5 and an i7 are. I don't see a magical "40%" difference. This is a benchmark from a reputable source, not a nobody who only THINKS that hyperthreading should make a difference.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Okay clearly there was some miscommunication on my part there, sorry about that. I thought you were referring to Battlefield 4, and those are different specs entirely. What game is that?

Fortunately for me, none of my arguments depend on that :P

That's Watch_Dogs. But, since the game hasn't even been released yet, we can't know for sure whether the game will really take advantage of hyperthreading. Remember CoD: Ghosts and the 6 GB of RAM crap? It uses less than 4.

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

That's Watch_Dogs. But, since the game hasn't even been released yet, we can't know for sure whether the game will really take advantage of hyperthreading. Remember CoD: Ghosts and the 6 GB of RAM crap? It uses less than 4.

Ah yes, I have made that point earlier so I am surprised I was ignored there.

Actually I'm not, I just feel that I should have been.

So you are implying that they have set a 3770k as the recommended specs rather than a 3570k for...no reason at all?

So you are implying that they have set a 3770k as the recommended specs rather than a 3570k for...no reason at all?

No, I'm just saying it's possible. They may have posted those specs to draw attention to themselves and say "OMG, look at me, my game looks really good" or something. It's what CoD: Ghosts did, so I'm saying that it isn't entirely out of the question.

What then if game can utilize 8 threads?

If you can play a game with i5 without it being the bottleneck then the utilized extra 4 threads do not matter.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Ah okay that makes sense, weird system though. I think CoH does that too.

On the 4+ cores, I would argue that it hasn't been coded specifically for that task, it jsut sortof happens to take a small benefit from the fact that you have more logical cores. No significant increase and not purpose coded, you know what I mean?

Yeah, I had never seen it either before I started playing SupCom through FAF :) Though in my personal opinion it really is fantastic as for one it works perfectly and for the other part it allows you to play with people with the same range of CPUs you have. Say what you want about "elitists", but you honestly don't want to play an 6v6 player game where you can see battles with thousands of units clashing together...

As for the other part: As far as I know HT wasn't even invented at the time of SC and SC Forged alliance, so the game shouldn't at least have been coded for it... But it does have a quite tangible improvement (10-15 % with/without HT) and good is that because even though those games are from 2006/2007 the upgraded player limit (4V4 to 6V6) let's the game effectively rape any CPU that exists when things get really intense (talking thousands of units clashing together on the ground, in the air and at sea with particles, gun shots and phason energy matter flying all over the place :) ) so yeah... It is of course not coded optimally for that many cores/threads and so on, but it is still cool though ^^

Oh and sorry for any grammatical errors. Writing this on a bus driving on a road of gravel with my phone so yeah...

OT: Have you played Supreme Commander btw? :) Just wondering.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Yeah, I had never seen it either before I started playing SupCom through FAF :) Though in my personal opinion it really is fantastic as for one it works perfectly and for the other part it allows you to play with people with the same range of CPUs you have. Say what you want about "elitists", but you honestly don't want to play an 6v6 player game where you can see battles with thousands of units clashing together...

As for the other part: As far as I know HT wasn't even invented at the time of SC and SC Forged alliance, so the game shouldn't at least have been coded for it... But it does have a quite tangible improvement (10-15 % with/without HT) and good is that because even though those games are from 2006/2007 the upgraded player limit (4V4 to 6V6) let's the game effectively rape any CPU that exists when things get really intense (talking thousands of units clashing together on the ground, in the air and at sea with particles, gun shots and phason energy matter flying all over the place :) ) so yeah... It is of course not coded optimally for that many cores/threads and so on, but it is still cool though ^^

Oh and sorry for any grammatical errors. Writing this on a bus driving on a road of gravel with my phone so yeah...

OT: Have you played Supreme Commander btw? :) Just wondering.

I do play Supcom to some extent, yes :)

Also congratulations on typing all of that on a phone, jeez.

I do play Supcom to some extent, yes :)

Also congratulations on typing all of that on a phone, jeez.

Not much else doing on a bus when you have no earpods/headphones with you ;)

Tell em if you ever want to play then :) Been playing since the start and although I am by no means pro, I've got a decent grasp on build orders and how to use UEF/Cybran units best ^^

Not here though as I may already have brought this thread too much OT stuff :S

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

HT does not realy add much in gaming yet.

in gaming + streaming this is offcourse a diffrent story ;)

In streaming HT realy comes handy.

But still for the i5 users intel has q-sync, to make the workload for streaming lower for the cores, so the fps does not get effected due streaming so badly.

But if you are a diehard gamer + streamer an i7 or AMD FX8 core can make sense in alot of games ;)

The Xeon 1230V3 for example is the same as the core i7-4770 but with no integrated graphics and 100mhz slower, but cost about the same as the core i5-4670K..that's makes it the best INtel CPU pick, more future proof with hyperthreading for future games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

In most cases it still doesn't help, but it's not a pointless technology by any stretch of the imagination.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Ok, I need to write this now, because this is getting ridiculous.

I see people saying that Hyperthreading decreases gaming performance in all situations, and saying that it literally does nothing ever.

With the 8-core CPUs in the next-gen consoles, games are ACTUALLY threaded properly now! They can ACTUALLY use the 8 logical cores! Can we please stop forum-spamming with "omfg hyperthreading is gay lolololol" bollocks that is honestly not true?

Discuss.

How about we stop the "8 core" lie in consoles instead. Game developers have access to 6 cores not 8. Those 6 cores are at 1.6-1.7ghz on a mobile CPU that has garbage cache. 

I have a 4770k that I can clock anywhere you want up to 4.5ghz and I can take HT on or off. Want to know what game I have seen a difference in that meant anything?

None of them. That includes BF4 where FPS difference were rarely more then 1 fps, Planetside 2 which was optimized for AMD CPU's (I7's as well, even though they didn't need optimization) , all the big single player titles, all the triple A mmo's. Wild Star? My game in beta actually ran better with HT off... BTW good luck to AMD CPU owners who want to play that game. It is like WoW (horrible optimization) with higher CPU requirements.

HT will help when our API isn't garbage. The current Direct X is garbage. HT does help a ton in AMD Mantle. Want to know what chip really skyrocketed in Mantle? The I3 with 2 cores and 4 threads...

http://pclab.pl/art55953-3.html

BTW here is a tech article on Infamous Second son. Want to know why it uses 6 cores? Because that is all that is available to game developers since 2 are locked to the OS. Dualshockers might as well be a advertising arm of Sony. This isn't a anti-console site. The game uses 6 cores because that is all game devs have access to, and will have access to on the SDK. 

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04/02/how-infamous-second-son-used-the-ps4s-8-4-5-gb-of-ram-cpu-and-gpu-compute-to-make-our-jaws-drop/

Next you are going to tell me I need more than 8 gigs of ram when consoles use their 8 gigs of ram as Vram AND Sys ram. The techs here know what the consoles have as hardware and we LAUGH at it. The API they use? Yeah that is nice. We will see something similar with DX 12 and we have seen what Mantle can do on SLOWER cpu's. An I5 will still be faster than a 8350 in a game, just like it is in Mantle. Not MUCH faster, but faster. The I7? Will be even faster. All these gains are well over 60 fps though and people aren't going to make games for only I7's, especially laughable console ports that need little from the CPU. Computer exclusives? Might push what cpu we need. Really expensive computer exclusives that push CPU boundaries are rare as hell and the most cpu bound games we have are mmo's that run primarily on 1-2 cores, other then maybe Day-Z, Rust which have the same optimization problem.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Hyperthreading on a gaming rig is pretty much e-peen. So what if you have hyperthreading but the games/apps dont utilize it. You paid the extra $80 - $120 bucks for something that you're not even going to use. Also, hyperthreading does NOT decrease performance in games, it's not just used.

The Xeon 1230V3 for example is the same as the core i7-4770 but with no integrated graphics and 100mhz slower, but cost about the same as the core i5-4670K..that's makes it the best INtel CPU pick, more future proof with hyperthreading for future games.

If by future proof you mean play all games at a lower FPS than a I5 K for 2 years until Direct X 12 comes out and then play games at the same speed? Yeah go with the Xeon. 

In the only games that are actually really cpu bound (mostly due to horrible optimization) like Wild Star, WoW, Guild Wars 2, Day-Z, Rust? The FASTER Xeon (which costs more than a 4770k) will be beat by 10 fps by the I5 K and beat an OC AMD by maybe 5 fps. BF4? The I5-k will be faster on a OC. In Mantle? It would be close. On DX 12 it will be close.

Xeon's are great budget rendering machines with low power use and they can run well at "ok temps" on a stock cooler due to the lower clock then a 4770 non k. Gaming? Show me benchmarks where they beat an OC I5 in the game. An I5 even at a moderate OC like 4.2 is getting a MASSIVE overclock on 4 cores over it's stock turbo on 4 cores at 3.6.

That is a 600 mhz overclock. What Xeon are we talking about here? . Are you talking about this one at 3.3?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116906

That thing will get its head kicked in, in a cpu bound game like the ones I listed earlier. That thing would be almost as slow as a 8350 on a max overclock. Better choice than a 8350 or 9xxx as a rendering/gaming machine on a budget, but thats about it.  At that point you strongly consider a 8320 as well. Unless you are rendering A LOT I would not choose it over the I5-K and an I5-K on a GOOD oc can prob come close to it rendering. That thing is prob like a 700 on multi core cinebench? I am at 900 something on a 4770k on a evo 212.

The only thing stupider than people buying into this idiotic advertising from consoles, is the people talking people out of the best buy for GAMING atm. Seriously, what is the deal with you people? The I5-K cost 189 bucks at Microcenter. You can match it through Staples online. When GAMING is the focus, it should be the first CPU you consider. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

no one said it was gay...

Are you sure?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

it doesn't matter if they do something or not. just buy what you want. you don't need to justify a reason to buy shit. only 2 things you need A.you got the money and B. you want it.

I do remember though opened multiple mmorpg games and was playing bf3 back then.the cores liked it imo ^_^.

Live your life like a dream.

I my Eyes Threads help with Better Gaming Performance in the time we are living most Games are Multi-Thread Compatible, the Only Game I know that is not Multi-Thread compatible is Minecraft.

EDIT: apparently my opinion is different then Others...

it can with optifine

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

for me HT increased my score on 3DMark13. why else would it not be bad?